Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Submersible missing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Submersible missing

I wonder if this will put off those rich people with no brains about going into space? I think the space in their heads will overcome their fears.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If they can afford that sort of money Des , then they aren’t the ones claiming higher mortgage rates and the cost of food is reducing their life style . Cheers JS
    R575129

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Latest bit on this is that some sounds in that area have been detected.
    So far they are not sure from what.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Latest bit on this is that some sounds in that area have been detected.
    So far they are not sure from what.
    There was an ex admiral and submariner on the news this morning, saying don't read too much into those sounds as they could also be coming from the Titanic as she works in the water or bits disintegrating. Also bear in mind that the submersible is mainly made from none metallic materials so very little sound can be transmitted by tapping, and tapping (if any) would be done with a certain rythm so that rescuers could distinquish it from other mechanical sounds

7. Likes N/A, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As regards Safety and all the fuss we hear about it , especially all the expertise tales about, why Isn’t it made compulsory tor such vessels to have a pinger on them. 43 years ago even the navy had pingers on their practice torpedos . We knew within minutes of the exact location when they went astray . Maybe sadly at any resultant enquiry It will be decided this practice should be re-introduced into the civilian maritime world . Too late for some , it’s not as though there is any excuse for not already having as is not an expensive thing to do. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought it was already compulsory John for every merchant vessel to have a 'float-free' location transmitter in the event the vessel succumbs to Davey Jones, usually fitted at the aft end of the bridge housing. I recall reading that it took a long time to locate the 'El Faro' because her float-free had become entangled in the aerials rigged by crew to get better reception on their radios etc. and it never floated to the top.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems submersibles are not subject to such regulations ??? No one has mentioned that I have noticed .Maybe the nautical assessor the media usually brings in is down with the flu. Or maybe still in Port Said arguing with the Harbour Master about when a Tanker can be called a Container ship. And vice versa JS .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st June 2023 at 12:52 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post #15. John S. I did wonder why no pinger on vessel. On charter to Decca Survey off the coast of Ireland in1975 I think most of their gear had pingers. Red faces when to close to a marker bouy and wrapped the cable round the proppelor.
    Bill.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one with egg on the face Bill was on the Clansman at the bottom end of Loch Fyne . The navy was testing their latest torpedo the stingray all highly secret . RMAS vessels everywhere, the bloke in charge was a commander who was at the time in charge of Britain’s latest deterrent in nuclear submarines . The target was an old world war 11 submarine partially ballasted down with two floating buoys on each end. I said to him those wires are too small and are likely to part. That’s no problem he says if they do all I have to do is push this button pointing to a big red button on the after console and will blow the tanks on the sub and she will refloat . I thought pardon my nerve for any criticism . Everything went ahead as planned the RMAS vessel fired the torpedo it missed , the buoy wires parted , the commander pushed his button and nothing happened , the sub sank and there was a deathly hush . The little stoker who was the last one off the sub before the exercise came up to me and said you just watch I’m going to get the blame for this . He was right it started at the top and was passed down the line and him being the last off took the blame for not setting up right.
    To add to this we knew where the stray torpedo was and had divers down right on top of it with 6 foot probes but couldn’t reach we had a miniature sub and A Jim suit to no avail it was too deep in the mud. We continued for 7 days until the pinger went off. And then left. To make matters worse a suspected. Russian sub had been sighted in the Clyde estuary who obviously knew what was going on as all radio work was in plain language.
    To make matters even worse at the time Loch Fyne was the only area in the British Isles where the fishermen could fish for Herring and they were putting in all sorts of claims for their losses. If they had listened to me in the first place this would never have happened . Good job I never signed the official Secrets Act or they would have had my guts for garters years ago. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st June 2023 at 11:50 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perhaps the sounds they are picking up at the Titanic site are the lovers singing in the bow.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast