Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Masks (Covid)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Masks (Covid)

getting back on course all deck training should include peggy duties when at sea/coast it was a wake up call for us at the time but did us no harm but at the time we thought it was a bit of a con but did our bit on deck and serving the crew? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    What effusive dialogue thou useth in your response Ivan..I would have been sorely tempted to reply "Oh FFS !
    Oddsbodikins forsoothe ye Young Graham, am I to assume your utterence of FFS means Friends Forever Shipmate

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    As post #1 has my name on it, so presumably I am the surrogate starter of this thread by transfer. Please be assured I will not be upset or offended if any of you wander away from the theme of 'masks' which in itself has a limited circumstance of exploration. Interesting, informative and even educational aspects can be learned from deviating from a set course; this deviation intended or otherwise can be sparked by a single word which lights a memory long forgotten which we may or may not benefit from and we feel a need to relay. Our memories are precious, let us preserve them anyway we can for our own sake and for the enjoyment (or otherwise) of those who may follow our journey when we have finally sailed off the edge of the world into an unknown voyage when we involuntary have the last pier-head jump.

Humbug!!
    I note that this has been edited, what was edited, forsoothe I cannot remember very word penned!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink Re: Masks (Covid)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Oddsbodikins forsoothe ye Young Graham, am I to assume your utterence of FFS means Friends Forever Shipmate
    That's the very one Sir Ivan! Thy utterances, plural,for there are many,means thou hast not lost thy sense d'humour .(Oh I went all French there!).

Beware delinquent deleterious deleting digits .Delete (2).gif !-Oh,-too late!

Anyway,for now let us cast off our humour capes, treat life with suitable gravitas and stop masking the serious subject of....masks!,which hath been masquerading in a thread about the very venerable Vindicatrix , with it's various, vicarious and often venal complaints about vulgar vicissitudes of there not being venison or veal on that vessel's provender scale,only verminous vermicelli.Such verisimilitude I vouch.

Graham

I love Susie Dent.
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 8th January 2022 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John 11, i remember it well, came from training school, learned all my knots and lines, how to work derricks etc, first ship peggy !!!, still a big learning curve, and realising you knew little, and get down to scrubbing, cleaning toilets etc,
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, Like you I went on board with all intentions of displaying my knowledge of seamanship, only to be told to cut the cards with the other deck boy to see who would be Peggy until we reached Galveston, greasy dishes and toilets all the way. Still it was all part of the whole.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it should have been told to you in training that is part of your seagoing me personalty did not mind there was a lot of good quirks in it drink ciggs and a few bob in first ports and we were an important link in the chain at the time and give us a life experience that stayed with me even today but how many 16 year old in todays lads would have done it if told in training you would be cleaning toilets after dockers all over the world some that could not take aim first time? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Pruden View Post
    life experience that stayed with me even today but how many 16 year old in todays lads would have done it if told in training you would be cleaning toilets after dockers all over the world some that could not take aim first time? jp
    May be too late to report you to the union John for breaking demarcation rules, that was a job normally reserved for cadets to bring them down to earth again and again and again, that along with bilges, strum boxes, under steam winch beds etc, all of which gave us a very very close-up of ship construction! Wish we had had masks then, not that we would have dared wearing them, not much beats the stench of rotting grain in a strum box, only thing that comes to mind was traversing a bombed graveyard in Suez '56 something not easily forgotten.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As in a previous post my brother still has the virus.
    Sounds like he has a head cold, his daughter, my youngest niece, also has it lives with the mother she kicked my brother into touch ten years ago.
    But she has no symptoms.

Now my brother is getting sicker, it is the food.

All I am giving him is Pizza and Pancakes, only food that will fit under the door.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hope he gets better soon John!
    Not good to hear of anyone being Sick let alone with this damn Virus!
    Cheers

PS You can always buy him some Tube Foods that will Squeeze under the Door as well! Squashy Squishy Foods !LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast