Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are there any former wingers left?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Are there any former wingers left?

#10 Keith all the stories I have heard and read including the one from the ex master of the Mary I think it was, and called I captained the big ships seemed to be of the same opinion . The author of the book describes how this was shown when the head barmans car and his own stood side by side on the Quay in Southhampton , the head barmans was a Jaguar and his was an Austin A30. The same rumours used to apply to chief stewards on cargo ships and I personally knew at least 2 who had fleets of houses in Shields. Pity Cappy wasnt here to own up to a few of their misdeeds . He would probably come out with the one about the pickle jar. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th August 2021 at 03:45 AM.
    R575129

Keith at Tregenna Guest

much was illegal here then, many went to sea to escape call up (conscription) or
    to avoid being frowned upon ashore etc. Just differing times.

Obviously, there were many suitable to employ but, the directive said no.

One company, I interviewed for trainee manager positions, p'd off the amount of
    women that had no chance, pushed it and became one of the first then, to take on
    female management candidates in London if not the country. They all proved
    me right.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 15th August 2021 at 03:58 AM.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think most went to sea because they wanted to go to sea. Those that were serving their time ashore were exempt until they came out of their time , many would have monetary commitments by then and chose the money rather than the discipline with no money. They weren’t dodgers in the sense that they were dodging for being afraid , they were dodging because it made monetary sense. Most stayed on as well past the time when could have left. JS.
    Have/had a shipmate from Aberdeen who finished up a trawler skipper and when that went to the dogs finished up offshore. However the fishing industry must have been someway different as he did national service , in the army and the Black Watch if allowed to say. Finished up doing 4 years instead of 2 , as did 2 in the glasshouse for continuous disobedience like throwing his rifle at the drill sergeant. Some on here will probably know him as was an Aberdeen company , but may be dead by now. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th August 2021 at 04:14 AM.
    R575129

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Not knocking but, only mention some.

Those were the day's.

Can imagine a fair few have not come out of the closet still.

C'est la vie.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 15th August 2021 at 04:09 AM.

6. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We always paid the platemen, and the cook who was feeding me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Linen steward for table cloths and napkins, milk pantry man, for milk, butter, boiled eggs, silver pantry man for all things silver, on the Windsor Castle it was usually £2.00 each out and £2.00 back, plus the glory hole steward, the tips saw their way around, as it should have been

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi again ! My folks had three children between 1931 and 1936 while he was at sea with Cunard. Apparently he set our Mom up with her own Women’s Fashion Shop, (she was a Seamstress) in Sheffield around 1936 and the reason my Dad gave up his Barman Job but he may have lost it due Seniority or such as was still major Depression going on. Anyway, they lost the shop and separated in late 1938 so he joined the Army. We kids were evacuated, each to a different family, in Sept 1939. Back on Merseyside summer 1940 with our Gran. and off again each to different places Jan 1941 as bombing became worse. Back as a family (without Dad) in Wallasey summer 1943.
    Ha,ha ! It gets funnier — my Mom, technically having no dependents since we three kids were evacuated, Dec 1939 signed up as a
    Volunteer with the ATS and was posted to France with the BEF in Communications as a Switchboard Operator. Left Paris 2 days before German Troops entered and was taken off the harbor Mole at Havre, France, on the I.O.M. Ferry “VIKING” during Operation Cycle a week after Dunkirk. A couple of days later the “Lancastria” was sunk off Cherbourg during a third rescue operation. She didn’t take the ATS regular army rank. Instead she joined the London AFS as a Switchboard Operator — saw her for a week in London but not again until summer of 1943. Last time saw Dad was June 1941. He survived the War but didn’t find each other for 55 years or so.
    All forgiven and both parents dead now. War does terrible things to every family but what do kids know as we thought each day’s events were normal for everyone. Arrive in school, in class a little flower on a desk meant someone wouldn’t be back. Keep calm and carry on !

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As to war memory’s as a kid. Think the only thing I was allergic to was the propoganda material put up by the media depicting Japanese troops as replicas of monkeys with buck teeth , glasses , and about the same height as myself , and being told their prowess as soldiers was restricted to their physical attributes. It must have been in 1953 when visiting Japan for the first time as a 16 year old that these myths were dispelled mainly by the Japanese females. Funny how we remember such things . Cheers JS....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th August 2021 at 12:42 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A country has to jack up the hatred and vilify the enemy anyway they can in order to get the youngsters to join up and actually kill.
    We do the same still — until i met a Russian female Merchant Captain (drop dead gorgeous !) i was lead to believe they were all very beefy and stocky women — just back in the Cold War. Just look up Japanese, German and Russian propaganda posters !
    Persons who take a country to war without provocation should be sent to the front or be on the first landing craft or bomber.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Den it was like this.
    As stated Yarpies have hollow legs when it comes to food, one man could clear the galley.

Yes sir you want a second serve of fish, only six courses today I did not realise you were on a diet,
    Then dock in Cape Town and find a Tikky under the side plate.
    So Den now you know why you never got a shout.
    Only one we ever paid was the peak steward on UCL 1 pound each way.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes Bill Cameron liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast