Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Ex Cunard Apprentice, 1957 onwards

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Serving your time

Yes!
    Memories of total exploitation! You will find my thoughts of, "Serving your time", in my book extacts. We were utilised as non- payable labour, but, on reflection, we did learn our trade at basic levels, and were
    trained and exercised in every aspect of life on deck. This was to influence us in future life, as Officers, who had no fear of allocating jobs, because we had alredy done it. Not all Captains are without full understanding of procedure, on deck. My short time as AB was a challenge to go further, and I thank the people involved, who encouraged me. I always valued my crew, and understood their problems. I was taught, in Cunard, "Lead fom the front, and push from behind"

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now just think Alf, if they could compose a shorthand key board we would all have more time to spare. All the MMX to you and yours.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well john, with all the uproar over these 'ere araabs i thought we could get away from aribic numerals and try the romans. if nothing else it would slow us all down a bit. a very happy MMX to you and terri. cheers. alf.
    ps have finally suceeded on using the gallery.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Captain

Hi Mr.Glan,great to read your story, you certainly had a long career and I imagine some great experiences which not many people could imagine.
    You come across to me as a very fair man but no "fool" I bet you were a pleasure to sail under.
    Kind Regards,
    Jim B.

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

Hi Glan.
    Want to wish you {And everyone else on site of course} a very happy New Year. Hope you make it back to the old country this year even if it's only for a holiday.
    Cheers Des

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ex Cunard Apprentice, 1957 onwards

I was also a Cunard apprentice I served my apprenticship 1953 -1957 mainly on Alsatia, Lycia, Phrygia and Asia. After getting 2nd Mates I stayed with the company and after spending a some months as 4th mate on the Assyria sailed on the Assyria as third Mate.
    Then did a spell as third Mate on the Brescia. Not the Brescia as in the photograph on this page.
    The Brescia sailing in the 50's was a Hickory ship. American built as a transport for service with the US fleet in the Pacific in WW2. She was built prior to Phrygia & Lycia she had more bells and whistles being American built.
    During my spell as third Mate we were on a trip bound from Tripoli to Genoa. On my 8 - 12 evening watch somewhere to the east of Malta the engine room rang 'stop'
    The six cylinder diesel engine had run a big end bearing. The engineers solution was to uncouple the connecting rod on the offending cylinder draw the piston up and secure the connecting rod. We spent probably about thirty six hours drifting around in glorious weather. The mates just swanned around on the bridge whilst the poor engineers were grovelling around in the crankcase.
    Eventually we got very gently under way and turned west to Malta. We were met by a large Admiralty paddle wheel tug which took us into the Malta dockyard. The 'Old Man' who being Cunard was RNR was almost beside himself as were were taken to the dockyard.
    The dockyard lapped the offending journal and we set off again down the harbour with no fuel on the repaired unit. Quite quickly the engineers found babbit fragments in the filter so back we went. The scond time it was successful.
    In 1959 I got my Mates. However in 1961 whilst second mate on the Phrigia I contracted pneumonia with serious complications. I was put ashore in Genoa and remanined there for two or three months eventually flew home DBS on a Comet.
    That was the end of my seagoing career. I started working ashore and after a couple of jobs one with the Liverpool & Glasgow Salvage association which was interesting writing PA GA reports and another working as a produce broker both of which paid miserable money I changed jobs for the last time. I joined an assay company who issued quality and quantity certificates to sellers or buyers of metals & mineral,
    I was involved with the quantity certification and as such travelled the world doing Draft Surveying and sample witnessing in some very remote places.
    With the decline of the British Merchant Navy I guess things eventually turned out for the best.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz, Graham Shaw thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Graham Shaw liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5