Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ex Cunard Apprentice, 1957 onwards

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was also a ships master but as I use to tell my crew, we all worked in the same factory but had different areas of responsibility; I would look after my responsibiltys with due dilligence and if they looked after theirs we would get on famously, it worked well; however, my most memorable and happiest times at sea was when I was an AB and those are the times foremost in my mind.

I retired eleven years ago come January

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Florida, Ex Wales, Hope To Return To Wales Soon
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Captain ?

Hi Neville,
    How are you my friend ? First let me wish you and yours and all shipmates, a "Happy New Year". To everyone on board, I have visited Neville a few times, had great chats over some beers and he is a great guy to meet up with.
    Now Neville, you set me up for this ! I had a grammar school education, matriculated and served my apprenticeship with a leading, well known tramp company. During those four years of slave labour (awarded the 'Crossed Chipping Hammer & Scraper'), I often envied those cadets on board the flashy liners, but in later years was truly thankful for the training that I had received tramping around the globe with very experienced shipmates, master's and officers.
    My sea service continued on tramp steamers, and a few years on the short sea trades on board all types of vessels. My first position as Master was a 800 grt sand dredger, have happy memories of those days. I served as a Trinity House outport pilot for some years and this was followed by taking up employment as a pilot in the Caribbean, berthing and unberthing VLCC's & ULCC's at a sea island terminal !
    During that period I also skippered a large tug boat involved in working with these large tankers ! It was supposed to last for 10 years, but unfortunately came to an abrupt end after 3 years when my late wife and self found ourselves "down and out' in paradise !
    After some months I joined a Miami based cruise line as Staff Captain and six months later became permanent master, operated cruise ships out of Tampa, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, Puerto Rico, California, Cuba (First cruise ship to be based in Havana in 35 years !!!), Singapore and Texas.
    During the 15 years I served on cruise ships, I was the Master, the name tag that I had to wear stated my name and below it....'Captain'....this was to let the pax know that I was the 'driver' I guess !
    Having rambled on, as most 'oldtimers' do I suspect, the only comment I have re the "Captain" issue is.....to each his own, if anyone feels elevated and gains more respect by using that title, go for it.
    I was also RNR for 10 years, a lowly Lt.Cdr. I'm afraid, never did make it to a 'four ringer'.
    being retired, I am happy for each day that I wake up to be called MR Glan !
    Neville, I am still waiting for my application form for enrollment in your "H***Y Grannies Club at the Plantation !!!
    Cheers.......Glan

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just incase some people wonder why I am using Captain in my name here is the reason I have got it.

As for my own “title” of `Captain Kong`, this name was given to me by my grandchildren. I was using a new server and wanted a new name, We had just watched the old film of King Kong, they suggested I use kingkong@msn.com.
    I requested it and was told someone else was using it, so my 8 year old grand daughter suggested Captainkong, and so that is the name I used.

Cheers, Stay Happy.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

I told you Glan come on over in full dress blues and you wont get out of the plantation with your pants on. this place is full of randy old widows. I get a few following me home from the mailbox hows the sale of your house going, better leave it too the spring time now Glan , the weather in swansea is a bit chilly now. all the best for the new year .Nev.

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool For Neville

Hey Nev........................still got the full dress blues, but would you believe it, went to try the pants on and during their last trip to the cleaners the B******S must have screwed up and shrunk em !!!
    Best wishes to you and yours for 2010......Glan

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few people in the MN didn't like engineers , regardless of where they came from . I was a Clan Line Apprentice and the old Clan Line Chief Engineers , didn't like engineer apprentices at all . I recall one cantankerous Chief Engineer telling another apprentice that we were all useless , and he got the reply , it isn't our fault Chief , its the guys who teach us , The old Chief agreed entirely , and I just hoped that teh penny didn't drop that he was our main mentor , but we got away with that one !!! . I also recall a voyage in Union Castle where the NAvigating officers in the programme all had MRINA or similar post nominals after their name in the crew list , the next voyage teh Engineers joined in , and the game stopped after that one . But age and a pacifist outlook has mellowed my fighting spirit over the years , and at the odd Sealink reunion we all get on now , all getting older gracefully
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool

Jimmy,
    Congratulations on your achievements and thank you for your kind comment. Best wishes for 2010.
    Glan

14. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gulliver.

Hi Gulliver,just checking if you were on line.No you are not!!!I hope you are out having a pint with your mates.
    I'm just checking as a matter of interest if I was getting any flak.
    This will be off now for a couple of days but in the mean time "Happy New Year "to you and yours.
    Regards.
    Jim B.

16. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glan, it is good to see you are still alive and kicking, you have been conspicuous by your abscence of late, hope the Welsh dream is stuill alive and well.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi lads. i have enjoyed this particular topic very much and also hope glan will realise his dream and come home to carduff. just a thought as we are starting a new year and to save your typing fingers, why not use roman numerals instead of 2010? MMX easy peasy. cheers. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

19. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast