Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ex Cunard Apprentice, 1957 onwards

Gulliver Guest

Default For Gordon(Captain Whittaker)

Dear Gordon
    I'm dismayed to see your posting about leaving our ship.
    I'm sure you've read and re-read the whole of this thread,and you will know that the gist of it is that it has only been caused by one sad individual.Unfortunately,one gets such unfulfilled individuals on every internet website.The internet is not patrolled,therefore they know they have the freedom to say anything they like. It is a form of internet 'bullying,' which in extreme cases can lead to internet stalking.
    The 'member' who started this will know this and try his best to attack members who will become disillusioned and feel threatened,and eventually this can lead to a 'capsize' of the whole site.

This is rather like a computer virus I suppose.We have one here.

Also,do not lose sight of the fact that we have 3000 members here,of whom I would say a good few hundred of us are regularly active. Don't let one malicious little virus deter you from posting.
    You've made some quality contributions here.

I know,in our slightly senior) years that we can do without any internet aggro as well!,but it's usually easily dealt with by ignoring the ignorant,and not worrying in the slightest about other posters on the site.
    It works for me,and I enjoy all the postings on this site.Unless I wish to reply to something pertinent to my interests,then I can happily 'flip over the page 'and know I won't offend anybody. It's my own form of internet self-patrolling!
    And unlike sad individuals who start this form of internet bullying,I can sleep easily at night knowing I still have my memories,and many friends, with no bitterness and just about my 100% mental faculties-and the right to say so!

Here's to many more great postings from you!

Kind Regards

Davey(Gulliver)
    Last edited by Gulliver; 29th December 2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Syntax

2. Thanks N/A, Brett Hayes, Robert George Young thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Robert George Young, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am sorry that Gordon has given in that easily , stand your ground , I think to stand true is a better way to deal with the knockers than to run . I saled with an Electrician , or First Electrical Engineer Officer if you want who had a nick name of " 1897" I dont think he ever knew why , it was because of the ten years in the South African Navy , The five Years Apperenticeship , The ten Years down the mines , Five years as a mercanary , ten years at sea and so on ad tedium , one mess room comic added it all up and worked out that he had to be bborn in 1897 to acheive all his boasts , wasnt bad for a guy not yet in his thirties , I am sure we have all spent our lives always telling all the honest truth ,and a "Bulls*****r is offensive o our ideals , but I think after fifty five years at sea , and fourty years ashore , and twenty years at school , and five years retired , I can spot one , and when I do , I take the stories with a large pinch of salt , and a quiet chuckle , Reminds me of what my mother used to say when I was younger " Play Nicely " !!!!!
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sad!!!

Hi Capt Whittaker!

As you know mate i have always read and stood by what you say,i enjoyed all your posts and i too am very sad to hear that you are leaving this great site!

Please as Davey(Gulliver) says dont take to heart too much of what is said here as you know being an ex Seaman a lot of things are said in the heat of the moment and also in jest (this most of the time)
    Just ignore the comments you dont like Gordon,and please do stay here with us !

So have a small rethink Gordon,and just take a deep breath mate!!
    If you do decide to not reply or come back Gordon,may i take this opportunity to wish you and yours all the very best in the future mate,may you have calm winds at your sails that take you to the great exotic places we all have been before!
    All the best and with Sincerity
    Vernon !!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 1st June 2022 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Thanks Robert George Young thanked for this post
    Likes Brett Hayes, Robert George Young liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

come on now gordon!. you must have met a few wind up merchants in your time as we all have. i think that smoko and messroom talk was all part of life at sea and we are all better for it. you must also know that once these wind up boys had you on the run they would keep on until you would retire andsulk. they have then won! if you leave the site then they have won. stay with us captain as i think your yarns are great. cheers. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

there is another Captain with us that does,nt use his ex title, lets hear from him what he thinks of using the captain title long after the fact, come on Glan lets have it ,ha, ha,I think if you are a captain now you have the right too use it , but when you retire no, how do you introduce yourself .hello I,m ex captain blah blah, a bit pompous I think.

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well just to get an actual answer as the question of titles didn't seem answered , and it seems to have wound a few people up I have spent two hours trawling the jolly old Internet to look for a definative answer. The difference seems to be between the Honorific title and the courtesy title , Tony Blair will always be Pre Fixed t" The Right Honerable " retired armed forces Generals are always addressed as " General" because of their commission teh same applies to Doctors and ministers of Religion , It seems that when Captains from the Merchant Navy use the title it is a courtesy title only , and should be Captain Fred Bloggs MN , so it is a pure courtesy showing deference to rank and qualification , SO Captain Gordon Whittaker can call himself what he likes . Most Engineers I know cannot be bothered to use the nominal or Honorific Eur.Eng on the grounds that it sounds a bit pompous , but each to his own . Gordon I hope you stay and ignore the Yahoo's and you can call me what you like , as long as it isn't late for dinner , or early fot the crossing of the bar

In fact Please stay , I dont like it when bullys win !!!!!!
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default well said young man

I think it's about time we let this subject die.
    You are what you are and be as you wish to be.
    Lets not lose members over this .
    I think enough damage , and hurt feelings has gone on .
    Lets shake hands and be our age.
    Ron

14. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Captain Gordon

Hi Captain Gordon,I'm sorry to see you "Signing Off" I know all the Captains I sailed with had a lot of "Bottle"and would'nt let some "Plateman" get them to spit their dummy out and throw their toys out of the pram!!!!
    As a commander of a ship you should not have allowed my remarks get to you,you should've treated them with the contempt that they deserved and not brought yourself down to the same level as me.
    Kind Regards,
    Jim B.
    Good Luck for the future.

16. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sealink at Weymouth in the 1980's had a Captain RNR and I believe there were two of them the other on a passenger ship somewhere , I cannot remember his name , but he always used a blue Ensign . I think he had Dolphins on his uniform as well .

18. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sad People

Gulliver I've read all that you have posted.Quite honestly I could'nt care less if you lived in Timbuktu thats not my problem.I'm not about to have a slanging match with you,my intelligence is far above that.
    You mention "Sad People" I dont think there could be anyone more sadder than someone who spends his liife trawling a computer to pick up postings that somebody has posted to enable him to "nit Pick" with that person.
    A good answer is "No Comment".Havent you got any friends,dont you go for a pint with a lot of guys at your local.
    I am far from a sad person I'm out quite a few times a week having a pint with the boys(many of them ex seaman) I think that it could be you that is the saddo "Billie No Mates"
    Regards.
    Jim B

20. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast