Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Gratuities

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The sad fact is that most ships are registered in countries of convinience. I was told that by employing crew from non origin countries of the ship they could pay a lwoer rate. Ships in Australian waters have mainly British or U.S. officers and senior crew but in U.S. waters the reverse is the case. Shipping companies will I am afriad never change, they wil continue to exploit the amin bulk of crew as they no doubt believe the average passenger thinks the crew are well paid. It is only us lot who have been there before, and still cruise now and ask questions, that know the true story.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having just done a 30 day cruise on the `Rotterdam`, registered in Rotterdam under the Dutch flag, so not a flag of convenience. I was surprised to find the crew worked for $50 US a month, we were on that in the 1950s. They worked for ten months and then got two months unpaid leave.
    The company, Holland America, charged us $22 a day, per couple, for tips. $660 US, for thirty days. The crew catering were all Indonesians and most had not got a clue what the job or service was about. The BR was arrogant and certainly would not have got a tip from me, even tho` I cleaned the cabin myself before he came in.The wine waiters were Filpinos, I ordered a bottle of wine for dinner and was charged $6 for service, we had 6 people on my table, we usually bought our own wine, the clown served everyone out of my bottle. didnt want to make a scene so kept quiet about it.
    Dont think I will be sailing Holland America again, Cunard have the best service, I have sailed with them many times and always pleased with their service.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

I think Brian you meant 50 pounds a month not $$, as I remember we as asst stwds got 28 pounds in the 50,s and finished up in 65 with 59 pounds , those days that was close too $175 a month plus tips so it ws pretty good pay if you did,nt count the hrs we worked about 75 o 80 a week for 6 months at a stretch and quick turnarounds in NYC. then back too the westernrun and easy home every 17 days, so 50 a month now is measly but I worked it out once and I think it came out about 600 a week , so its big money for the foriegn crews

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Neville,
    They told me they were on $50 US a month wages, around, £34 GBP @ $1.50 to £1 approx.. a month. in the mid fifties we on deck were on £32 to £36 GBP a month as ABs
    They are not paid overtime and work at least 12 hours a day, we were.
    They just get an additional percentage of the tips collected from the bloods at $11 per day per person.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 13th April 2011 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Think it through

My better half and myself have done 5 cruises in the last 2 years with Island Escape and Thomson Spirit. Each time I have asked for "All Inclusive", and only paid for it twice! Quite often it is offered free as an incentive For a one off £74 all drinks are unlimited in every bar or night club. The result is always a ZERO bar bill. Wine with every meal, pints of Stella and unlimited brandies, soft drinks, coffee etc. The only thing not covered is bottled water at an outrageous price. (Iced water is available free in all restaurants). No tipping but we did appreciate the cabin staff and our favourite adopted waitress, who got comission on every drinks order. She was always by our side, day & night! She certainly earned a good "Drop". There you have it, ask for all inclusive and save £700. Simples "Chrrrrk!"
    Last edited by Captain Gordon Whittaker; 13th April 2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Gordon , I cannot see Cunard or Holland America settling for an `All in`. An old friend went on the Island Escape and had a free bar. but I cannot see the big companies doing it. Just done thirty days on the Rotterdam and a free bar would be too much for them. I have cruised with Cunard since 1995 most years including the world cruises and I dont think they would give anyone free booze for three months.

About tips, I also stayed on the old Queen Mary in Long Beach for four days on my way to join the Rotterdam
    I have always done for many years when on that side of California. They do not charge any tips to your account, the fact that she does not sail should not make any difference compared with the cruising ship.
    The service in all restaraunts is superb and the staterooms are perfect.
    She is a lovely ship and the new owners, Delaware North Companies, are plowing all the proffits back into the ship. She was immaculate from bow to stern, nside and out. It is always a pleasure to be on board.
    Also she can be cheaper than many hotels and you have the full run of the ship even to the bottom of the engine rooms
    She is well worth a visit if you get over to LA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re Tipping on ships

This is a sore subject and wil continue for some time to come.Yes soon as you get even on board some departure ports.You are processed in the wharf/shed.Please may I have your CREDIT CARD SIR!! Next I.D.Photo(mug shot) If we choose to have this invasion of the right taken away to tip voluntary/as and when we want to for good sevice then it is another way of the shipping companies (take note Carnival Group) that it is tantamount to fraud,the definition of a tip is for service over and above the call of duty/job description.There for how can you take this surcharge prior to giving the customer a service which may not even come up to a acceptable standard.No test case has ever been made of this.I think it is pure and simple greed.Also a fuel surcharge is now becoming more common.To conclude(joke)Next thing guests will be asked to pay a safety surcharge to board the ships lifeboats in an emergency!!!

The Cunard Yanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gratuities.

Hi Bill,I see you have the Cunard logo followed by The Cunard Yanks,as you will appreciate The Cunard Yanks were Cunard Yanks because of the dropsies and not their wages!!!
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Princess Cruises now opperating in Australian waters and sailing from Australian ports have done away with compulsory tipping. It is now left to the discretion of the bloods as to who and how much.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4