Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carnival Splendor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Carnival Splendor

First reports coming from this vessel from passengers state "The crankcase split open on one of the main engines". This was the cause of the fire.
    Sometimes the pieces litter the bilges. Engineers call it throwing a leg out of bed. Not very nice.
    See my previous post thats what happened there.
    The vessel is coming into phone range but has no power to charge the passenger own handsets. The vessels own handsets will charge from the emergency board.
    More info will be coming, a very serious incident.

regards
    jimmy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Titanic was designed by a Naval Architect , and that was built for teh North Atlantic , Jimmy !
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

Hi Hawkeye, i my post I said that most of the liners of today dont do ocean cruises , as world cruise cost a lot of money so tere is a limited mount of passengers to do the whole trip and a 103 day cruise is along time too be away.we used too do 90 day cruises on the caronia and it was the palm beach crowd mainly lots of money and time on thier hands. one lady was a perminent passenger only got of her when the ship was in dry dock.I still think that most of the liners could not stand the constant ocean runs .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bunker capacity usually governs how long you can cruise. The maximum bunker capacity on these ships is around 10,000 tonnes and she will burn around 500 tonnes per day, push speed could be more. They will cruise maximum 16 days without a bunker port. I would say trans Atlantic without bunkers but pushing it for trans Pacific. Once you are down in OZ very long distances and even summer time very strong currents. Long cruises need bunker ports. Two weeks a good cruise.
    These are just estimates mind. You need good bunker reserve in a passenger ship four to five days plus.

regards
    jimmy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think Nev is near the mark on this one. Anything more than about 10 days for most passengers becomes a bit of a bore. There is also the cost of staying longer. Surveys conducted here in Oz show thast 10 days is the most popular and it fits in well with the shipping companies. Royal Carribean have a slogan,' you are here for a good time , not a long time.'
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see the NTSB the FederalGovUS National Transportation Safety Board along with the USCoastguard and Panama Authorities are to investigate the incident. The vessel is now in US waters.
    We will have an intermediate report from the NTSB in a short time, they do not hang around and they take no prisoners. Full reports come later and they are very good.
    Two engine rooms, three main engines each engine room, two main switchboards one per engine room. Why lose the lot.
    A lot to be answered. I think most are Fillipino Officers. Heaven only knows what nationality crew are??

regards
    jimmy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is most unususal for all engines to go down in thta manner, will be interesting to see what the outcome of this one is. Main crew I suggest would all be Philipino, Chinese, Malaysian etc but normaly officers are from white English speaking countries.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cruise ships

Hi All,
    I recently had a trip on the MS Noordam ( Holland America Line ) and I have to say I was very impressed with the general running of the ship,including boat drill. But this is in peaceful sunny conditions. What it would be like in a force 8 at night is another story.The deck officers were all Dutch but I only saw theBritish Chief Engineer once briefly. At the end of the cruise there was a big show in the theatre to let us see all the crew.I was surprised to see that there were no engineers except the Chief. So I assumed that the ship was fully automated LOL. In actual fact the Philipino steward who looked after us told me that all the engineers were English and he was learning Yorkshire/Lancashire dialect from them. I gave him a few expressions he hadn't heard of !!.
    I think we have seen more main engine problems since steam turbines became unfashionable, but I would say that being a steam man!!
    Cheers
    Kevin

Florida, Ex Wales, Hope To Return To Wales Soon
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jimmys View Post
    I see the NTSB the FederalGovUS National Transportation Safety Board along with the USCoastguard and Panama Authorities are to investigate the incident. The vessel is now in US waters.
    We will have an intermediate report from the NTSB in a short time, they do not hang around and they take no prisoners. Full reports come later and they are very good.
    Two engine rooms, three main engines each engine room, two main switchboards one per engine room. Why lose the lot.
    A lot to be answered. I think most are Fillipino Officers. Heaven only knows what nationality crew are??

regards
    jimmy

Back in the mid/late 1980's when Carnival only had the "Carnival" & "Mardi Gras" ( both ex CP liners ) operating out of Port Canaveral, all the deck & engine officers were Italian (Unionised), I believe its still the same, the hotel dept had many Brit hotel managers. The remainder of the crew were made up of about 32 different nationalities.

Cheers,
    Glan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

when I sailed on the CPR boats there were a lot of english crew and of course us scousers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast