Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: OLD and New!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Enquiry

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Mike I sent you a message on your enquiery, did you recieve it and did it help???
    John. Are you referring ref., 'UNITS'? If so received both yours and vernon's reply, many thanks Mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink Ocean Monarch

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollis View Post
    Ocean monarch is the old Port Sydney and she still has her original engines.david
    There is a short but good video of the Ocean Monarch's engines on full away on "You Tube". Twin 6 cylinder Doxfords still going strong after more than 50 years!!

regards

Russ K
    Last edited by Russ Kennedy; 18th August 2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: missed out You Tube

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ocean monarch

I Am Surprised That The Ocean Is Still About. If She Came Into Port When We Were In Cape Town A Lot Of People Didnt Go Shore That Night As All Hell Used To Break Loose When Her Crew Were Around Anything For A Quiet Night At Georges.!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Just back

Just back back from our 4 night cruise on the QM2. She is a beautiful ship, built just like ocean liners of days gone by, and she hardly moved at all at sea.

However, there was no holiday atmosphere, and it was like being in a posh hotel in New York. We enjoyed the experience though.

Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Pendennis View Post
    Just back back from our 4 night cruise on the QM2. She is a beautiful ship, built just like ocean liners of days gone by, and she hardly moved at all at sea.

However, there was no holiday atmosphere, and it was like being in a posh hotel in New York. We enjoyed the experience though.

Ian
    Hello Ian,
    Welcome back to Terra Firma mate hah!
    Sounds like a lovely Ship,but Alas! as you say i think that these days all that real fun has gone from the big Cruise Liners,and its more of just a relaxing type of atmosphere!
    With all the Modern Decor etc one does i suppose feel like its just one big Hotel!
    Ah well thats the end of that,so now what? Back to the old way of boredom hah!
    Glad you enjoyed the trip!
    Cheers
    Vernon
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon,

We cruised on P&O's Oceana in the summer, and there was a definite holiday atmosphere onboard. They held sailaway parties with everyone waving a union jack and singing Land of Hope & Glory etc. I also find that Royal Caribbean ships have a good holiday feel about them.

On the QM2 at the Captain's Cocktail Party, the Staff Captain made a very strong point of telling everyone that the QM2 is an ocean liner, and NOT a cruise ship!

Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry, think you might be thinking of Shaw Savills Ocean Monarch from the early seventies. Think she had a bit of a bad reputation with crews. Think she was sometimes called Ocean Maniac!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendennis View Post
    Hi Vernon,

We cruised on P&O's Oceana in the summer, and there was a definite holiday atmosphere onboard. They held sailaway parties with everyone waving a union jack and singing Land of Hope & Glory etc. I also find that Royal Caribbean ships have a good holiday feel about them.

On the QM2 at the Captain's Cocktail Party, the Staff Captain made a very strong point of telling everyone that the QM2 is an ocean liner, and NOT a cruise ship!

Ian
    G'day Ian, hope you are right about Royal carribean, am going on Rahpsody of Seas in November. Let you know what I think when I get back.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Terry, think you might be thinking of Shaw Savills Ocean Monarch from the early seventies. Think she had a bit of a bad reputation with crews. Think she was sometimes called Ocean Maniac!!
    G'day mate, yes she was that. Terrible stories about her and some of the things the crew got uo to. But heard some dad ones about the S. Cross. She arrived back in Southampton one trip looking as if she had been in a riot. Some of the bloods had gone tropo I think and just about wrecked her.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Have Fun

Hi John,

I have been on the Brilliance of the Seas, and the Voyager of the Seas, and had a great time on both.

Enjoy yourself

Ian

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast