Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: OLD and New!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by x taffy 2 View Post
    hi john in oz. your paying more in surcharges than the fare,?.well nearly, whos going to argue over $5.it seems to me your paying for the ships running costs ,ie wages , fuel and berthage costs when your not even on the ship.il bet she leaves port ,within 1 hr of embarkation time. as for paying tips before youve got the service,im speechless.i wonder how much trickles down to the actual steward that serves you.or does he hold his hand out at the end of the trip. sorry john im not trying to put a dampner on your trip. it just makes my blood boil , the shipping companies are still ripping everybody off.the best tip i ever gave was to a little swiss waiter after real bad service, dont wear your jandles in the snow ,youll get cold feet .he wasnt amused. have a great trip ,& take an extra bag with you and load up with goodies.best wishes geoff.
    G'day Geoff, yes mate I was a bit surprized when they showed a break down of the fare. friend of mine was on her last year and his ticket was not shown in this way. Envelopes provided for tipe for crew. Well mate I intend to enjoy myself and as for the service I will if I need to ask either the purser of the skipper if I have to what happens to the gratuities paid???
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    G'day Geoff, yes mate I was a bit surprized when they showed a break down of the fare. friend of mine was on her last year and his ticket was not shown in this way. Envelopes provided for tipe for crew. Well mate I intend to enjoy myself and as for the service I will if I need to ask either the purser of the skipper if I have to what happens to the gratuities paid???
    John just done a short 2 night cruise on the QM2 and if you see the Purser the service charge can be taken off if you wish to tip yourself Regards George in Southampton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile For Ian

Sorry for giving wrong info, we were on it in June 2006, obviously they tried it then and people complained and now they have stopped doing it, some people who were on it in 2005 said exactly as you tip who you wish. Best wishes Graham

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    John just done a short 2 night cruise on the QM2 and if you see the Purser the service charge can be taken off if you wish to tip yourself Regards George in Southampton
    Good news George, but as this is part of the fare you have to pay before you go I think I might have Buckleys of getting it back. But i can try!!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default tips

i think its disgusting that these companys can get away with using tips to pay wages thats what the do ashore anyway in a lot of places when i eat out i make a point of giving the waiter or waitress the money in their hand i found in most places it was appreciated more by the staff kev.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tips

Quote Originally Posted by bigman View Post
    i think its disgusting that these companys can get away with using tips to pay wages thats what the do ashore anyway in a lot of places when i eat out i make a point of giving the waiter or waitress the money in their hand i found in most places it was appreciated more by the staff kev.
    Remember in Orlando a couple of years ago on holiday with grandchildren. Used a regular restaurant at night as they the waiters and waitresses made a fuss of the youngsters and bringing extras. There was a 15% surcharge and I paid it but every night slipped the waiter or waitress a couple of extra dollars. The service was superb and our last night they couldn't do enough for us.
    Took wife on a cruise on the 'Ocean Monarch' she still had the shape of a ship.
    Made sure I looked after the B.R. and the wingers to our table plus cultivated the bar waiter. Tips were supposed to be added with in the voyage but me I'm a suspicious B*****d and paid for all our drinks as we had them and gave the bar stwd a tip each time. It was before euros so we had loose change from all over the Med. Said to B.R. 'can you use it'. Leave it with me sir most welcomed.' Wife thought she was a Queen and she was not like some of the overdressed over fed mutton on there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For my sins I spent two years working on a "modern" cruise ship.............................it was like a floating Butlins...........hated every minute,but it paid the bills at home.
    your never alone......witha penguin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Qm2

I am going on the QM2 for 4 nights at the end of August.

Despite being a relatively new mega cruise ship, she still looks like one of the old liners to a certain extent, and I am looking forward to seeing what she is like.

We are going to Hamburg, which will be the first time since I called there in 1973 on OCL's Flinders Bay. I bet things have changed a little!

Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike I sent you a message on your enquiery, did you recieve it and did it help???
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ocean Monarch

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollis View Post
    Ocean monarch is the old Port Sydney and she still has her original engines.david
    Thanks very much for that info., David. A chap from where I live also cruised on Her and had nothing but complaints about it. He reckoned it was an old ferry tarted up. Him and his wife were always going on these floating gin palaces. I argued with him over it as I said it at least looked like a ship. His son started in then about how I needed to know about ships. Soon put those landlubbers in their places.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast