Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: OLD and New!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Old & New.

Greetings WCrusader,
    Yes I am inclined to agree that the older ships as we old timers know about are the best but having said that there is something grand about these new cruise ships.
    I took my wife on a cruise out Miami some years ago to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary it was on the "SS Carnivale" nothing like the monsters we have today the reason being it was the old "Empress of Britain" one of our grand old ships of yester year, no doubt scrapped by now.
    When on board it felt good that first of all I hadn't go down below to start my watch & secondly it was a nice feeling that I was sailing on what was once part of our Maritime History.
    I watched on Mega Structures a few weeks back the building of the "Freedom Of The Seas" what a monster although I have been in Engineering all my life it still amazes me as to how they know where to start designing & building these floating cities.
    Best wishes,
    John Aspin (R685343) Ormesby-Middlesbrough

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cruise Ships

Ive done several cruises mostly on Holland America but lately the food has not been as good or maybe I'm just getting spoiled. Did the QM2 last year the food was good but not outstanding. Has anyone done Seaborne or Crystal? How do they compare? Pete in sunny California

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Oceana

Just returned yesterday from a week on Oceana, and had a fantastic time. Even the Bay of Biscay was like a mill pond in both directions! I am sure that you will have a great time Clancy, as she is a lovely ship.

Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollis View Post
    You will find the Oceana fabalous the best cruise ship I ever sailed on going on the new ventura to caribbean 2nd jan,can't wait. david
    David mate, sorry to have to inform you but you will have to wait. It is still JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile For Clancy

You will enjoy it mate, just got off the "Arcadia" last Monday had a great time booze a bit pricey though, crew were nice obviously thinking of the tips, on "Oceana" they put the tips on your on-board account each night approx £3.75 per person per day, you can stop it if you want and tip yourself whom you want, but a girl at the pursers desk said if you do that they will get it twice, it's hard to know what to do, whatever I'm sure you will have a good time. Best wishes Graham

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tips

Hi Graham,

That isn't correct currently with regard to tips on Oceana. Nothing was added to our bill at all last week, but there was a guidance leaflet put in our cabin, together with some blank envelopes (not even a set of printed envelopes as with some cruise lines).

The 15% service charge on drinks is included in the price on the bar menu. A pint of lager was £2.60, including the 15%, which I didn't think was too bad, as I know a number of pubs which charge more.

It was a great holiday and can't wait for the next, which is 4 nights on QM2 in August.

Regards

Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have booked for November on 'Rhapsody of the Seas'. Recieved an invoice showing fare of $685, Docking and port charges of $350, Gratuities of $250, and fuel surcharge of $80. for a 10 day 9 night cruise.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Booked!

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Have booked for November on 'Rhapsody of the Seas'. Recieved an invoice showing fare of $685, Docking and port charges of $350, Gratuities of $250, and fuel surcharge of $80. for a 10 day 9 night cruise.

Hi John,
    Did you get my Ticket as well! hah! Sounds like its going to be a great trip mate,hope you and Terry have a wonderfull time out there on the wide open Ocean,but dont go having too many now,you may find yourself overboard!! (only kidding)
    Wish it were me and the Lady,but our turn will come hopefully!
    Still think i would prefer a trip on one of the old Ones somehow!!
    Anyway mate you go and Enjoy!
    Not too bad a Fare i would say considering the cost of all things these days.
    Cheers
    Vernon
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default oceana

my time will be taken up as follows 7 of august im down to the vindi reuion till the 10 on the 15 aug santa ponsa majorca with wife and family pluss friends two weeks at home for a week to get my dobieing done and 6 sept two weeks with my father in law at sea. It was my wife that booked me in her dad had been let down someone had droped out so she said clancy will go book him in.[she aint paying tho] cheers clancy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    hi john in oz. your paying more in surcharges than the fare,?.well nearly, whos going to argue over $5.it seems to me your paying for the ships running costs ,ie wages , fuel and berthage costs when your not even on the ship.il bet she leaves port ,within 1 hr of embarkation time. as for paying tips before youve got the service,im speechless.i wonder how much trickles down to the actual steward that serves you.or does he hold his hand out at the end of the trip. sorry john im not trying to put a dampner on your trip. it just makes my blood boil , the shipping companies are still ripping everybody off.the best tip i ever gave was to a little swiss waiter after real bad service, dont wear your jandles in the snow ,youll get cold feet .he wasnt amused. have a great trip ,& take an extra bag with you and load up with goodies.best wishes geoff.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast