Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The latest pigeon loft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The latest pigeon loft

We have done some 27 cruises over the past few years, none on ships with more than 3,000 bloods.
    Most are in the 2600 size, comfortable.

Royal Carribean have one now with over 8000 bloods on board I am informed, yuck to that.
    Just be careful of which you choose and a very good holiday can be had.

But until you have been on one there is no way you can criticize them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's many things i have not tried John, but know i would not like, the well known practice on Union Castle for example, tripe and onions, sheep heads, the list could go on, but i am quite happy with those that wish to cruise, thats fine by me. Its your life your money, enjoy yourself in what ever pleasure is yours.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    There's many things i have not tried John, but know i would not like, the well known practice on Union Castle for example, tripe and onions, sheep heads, the list could go on, but i am quite happy with those that wish to cruise, thats fine by me. Its your life your money, enjoy yourself in what ever pleasure is yours.
    Thank you for understanding, there are so many who do not even try.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    We have done some 27 cruises over the past few years, none on ships with more than 3,000 bloods.
    Most are in the 2600 size, comfortable.

Royal Carribean have one now with over 8000 bloods on board I am informed, yuck to that.
    Just be careful of which you choose and a very good holiday can be had.

But until you have been on one there is no way you can criticize them.
    John, I use a similar rule of thumb; although not been on holiday for about 10 years and never been cruising, we would never book a hotel with more than about 300 rooms.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill.
    Did a trip on the old James Craig and the Bounty, so quiet with the sails. The only passenger ship I was on was the Southern Cross emigrating to NZ, that would be the only size passenger ship I would sail on.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got to admit that I would never have gone on a cruise if it hadn't been for my Mrs.
    When we retired, she went on about all the exotic places I was always telling her that I'd been to. Yes, we were always going to Spain for holidays, or other places in Europe, but only because I didn't want to go elsewhere, I'd seen it all.
    We decided to take a cruise around the Caribbean, and I was quite surprised that I found it a great holiday. After that, we have been on cruises at least a couple of times a year, albeit I refuse to go anywhere east of the Med, Istanbul is the limit for me.
    The Americas are our favourite, but as long as it's not on a big boat I'm happy. The only thing I have against cruising, is the time spent in some great ports, usually just a few hours. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind just going to the sunshine at sea and staying there for a week or three, just wallowing along at a few knots.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was on one steamship with bridge amidships and engines aft, on the bridge wing at 0500, peace and quiet with a 360 degree vista, couldn't hear the engines, nearest thing to a sailing ship and nearest thing to bliss, we can only dream of times gone by, but at least we've done it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Thank you for understanding, there are so many who do not even try.
    To each his own John, and hopefully you will continue to Enjoy your Cruising! If it works for you as they say, Go for It!

Ever been on any of the Antartic Cruises John!??
    Looks Interesting enough, but cost ! ??? Mmmm!

Cheers

16 Day Highlights Of Antarctica Expedition & Iguazu Falls Extension - Inspiring Vacations
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: The latest pigeon loft

Yes,each to his own of course. I am not in the market for cruising in any vessel that would seemingly involve being accompanied by the population of a small town on a market day,and it would most definitely have to be an adults only cruise--no children to disturb the peace and impede one's right of way.(I was recently approached by an instore representative in my regular supermarket,probably because of my white beard and 'tache, and asked whether I could be recruited as one of this year's Santas for their grottos. It sounded quite a laugh,with a modest but welcome bit of cash,with travelling expenses and a discount for store-bought goods.....then I suddenly realised that I hated kids,well, at least the kind of well-heeled precocious ones with names like Tarquin and Perdita,who attempt to pull one's natural beard off and leave a half-sucked Humbug on your chair... thankfully I came back down to earth afore I signed my agreement on the dotted line of the application on her clipboard,before once more applying myself to searching for the ingredients for this year's Christmas dinner-baked beans on the 'Reduced to Clear' shelf,a pack of turkey twizzlers ,and an individual mince pie without the alcohol-because you know me-once I get a sniff of it!

Back to the Cruising.

My reluctance to go cruising does not stop me from reading all the adverts and seeing where they are headed. It's a bit sad I know but as a navigator of some 20 years service I love getting out my world atlas and ports of the world gazetteer and sea passage data and following their itineraries-even imagining what charts I would need to order-very sad!
    It's amazing though since I swallowed t'anchor 30 years ago how many new cruise ports have sprung up--and how many ports can no longer berth those giant 'floating cities' and have to use tenders to ferry their humanity ashore to go and get their moneysworth of culture,souvenirs and selfies...

And time in port?.Two examples. One advertised next year,admittedly quite a good Mediterranean cruise,offers as their final port prior to heading home to Tilbury ,just SIX HOURS in Gibraltar-from 0800-1400. I have had more time in a similar port than that on container ships. Another cruise taking in Haifa,Israel (for Jerusalem) gives one 10 hours in port.Now,for me that is a former happy hunting ground of 40 years ago ,and I know that going from Haifa to Jerusalem in a tourist coach takes about 3 hours there and 3 hours back-giving you 4 hours to have a pee, scoff a couscous and pitta lunch, see the Church of the Holy Sepulchre ,marvel at the always parched Garden of Gethsemane ,buy an 'authentic 'Turin shroud' to treasure forever ,before stuffing your request to 'please let me win the lottery' in a crack in the Wailing Wall,think they call it the Western Wall now. Don't stuff it in too hard ,'cos' it's been there 2,000 years and it might fall down,similar to when Joshua blew his own trumpet at Jericho,and that fell down if I rightly remember.My religious knowledge has suffered neglect for the last 60 years,probably since I was unceremoniously flashed in the vestry whilst changing for Mass by Fr.Connolly (not his real name) at 10 years old,then exhorted to pray for MY forgivenness !
    Yes,just like Mary in the Bible,I have pondered these things in my heart...

So,back to the ship in Haifa Port,just in time for a shower to get the dust out of most crevices then the late dinner sitting in the Voyager restaurant, no formal dress tonight ,thankfully,then an invitation to watch Ben Hur, in the Grand Panoramic Vista Cinema Complex as we slowly edge out to sea into a freshening wind and a cross swell bound for dear old Larnaca in Cyprus. Oh and remember,the forward facing Horizon Lounge is closed off tonight just in case we dip our bows in,'fall into a hole' and you get skewered by one those horrendously sharp spikes of glass.

No,not for me,I need 2 weeks in each port!-I often get tired now just thinking about those organised shore excursions..

But for those who enjoy them---- Carry on Cruising !

Avatar.gifXmas Tree (2).gifXmas PC (2).gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#19 The tiredness gets worse the older one gets Graham do you find that ? I suppose you can remember the old prayer as kids being brought up in. A God fearing family . However I find it hard to believe imagining you kneeling by your bunk at 1700 hours before going on the middle watch saying “ In my little bed I lie, Heavenly Father hear my cry, if I should die before I wake , I pray the Lord my soul to take. God bless mammy and Daddy , kitty the cat and Cappys horse Blazer. Sounds too much like Harry and you know his funny wife from the US of A. Megan. Well written prose though , where have you been , haven’t been sneaking off on a world cruise have you ? Cheers JS
    R575129

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast