Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Death at sea

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Death at sea

Strange that! talking about doctors, I can remember hearing people talking about the "doctor will be here about 9am" but I can't remember where it was. They were referring to a wind they called "the doctor" that came every morning. I used to think it was in the Caribbean, but I've forgotten. Anyone else heard of it?

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Fremantle Doctor is a cooling offshore breeze coming ashore usually late afternoon just in time for cocktails if that way inclined rather than beer round the BBQ. Cheers JS

The Cyclone season is usually between about November and March in NW Australia up to now this year they have been conspicuous by their absence but still plenty of time. If living in the Perth area and start when active at sea was usual if at home on leave to get a call out to go north to crew offshore establishments , this on such apart from must be there people , the rest going ashore to shelters . Now being retired I no longer remain in this loop. I just look out the window to see what the weather is doing . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th December 2022 at 11:40 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Des, we should all move to WA.
    According to the weather men there will be a cracker of a summer there, but here in Melbourne, Saturday and Sunday sunny and about 28.
    Monday cold, wet, windy and 17.
    I would swap those conditions gladly John,-8 here at 08.00 -5.5 now at 10.30

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#43. Tony HDJohn , just refuses to change his shorts for fur lined jocks. Arthur Itis keeps on telling him. It will take a disaster like his icicle breaking off to change his mind . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th December 2022 at 11:11 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Doctor was also a wind that blew in the afternoon in Jamacia & Haiti

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#41. Johnny if you are remembering Haiti , you must also remember the other part of the Island , the Dominican Republic , in the 50”s the dictator there was called Papa Doc. Every morning at 0900 hrs all work ceased for 3 minutes silence in respect of this still living vulture . Maybe you can remember that time in your sub conscious . Most offshore breezes are usually near sunset when everything is cooling down causing differences in pressure levels , and winds or breezes usually flow from a high to a low pressure anticlockwise in the northern hemisphere and the opposite in the Southern Hemisphere . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th December 2022 at 01:50 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks people for the replies
    I just can't remember where it was, but it sounds like different places use the term. Of course it could have been an evening event, but I've been to all the places mentioned and maybe heard it at all of them.
    It's strange the way some tiny things are remembered in bits, and some are vivid in my mind. I wonder how many youngsters today have had the experiences that we had so long ago? Most people today wouldn't believe any of our stories of adventure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #41. Johnny if you are remembering Haiti , you must also remember the other part of the Island , the Dominican Republic , in the 50”s the dictator there was called Papa Doc. Every morning at 0900 hrs all work ceased for 3 minutes silence in respect of this still living vulture . Maybe you can remember that time in your sub conscious . Most offshore breezes are usually near sunset when everything is cooling down causing differences in pressure levels , and winds or breezes usually flow from a high to a low pressure anticlockwise in the northern hemisphere and the opposite in the Southern Hemisphere . Cheers JS
    John, Papa Doc was Haiti he was succeeded by his son Baby Doc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    JS At the rate the Weather is panning out i doubt it will get that Hot here in NSW , but there in WA of course who knows! LOL
    Still chilly here!
    Hi Vernon.
    WE are back to snow again, I hate complaining; but my bleeding hedge is growing by the day and I can't get out to cut it.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John S
    In regards to my nephew in France, though he was at one time the Welsh Cross Country champion , he was born in and lived in Middlesbrough, so there's nowt to learning French they both sound the same.
    Des
    Sorry Vernon, was putting this answer on another post when you scrubbed it.
    Des

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    I would swap those conditions gladly John,-8 here at 08.00 -5.5 now at 10.30
    Hi Tony,
    Wish I was there it was down to 1 again here last night, with snow on the Alps, maybe even enough to bring the skier's back.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast