Thread: M.s.c.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up M.s.c.

Hi all. We are doing a Trans Alantic cruise on the 27th April aboard the M.S.C. Poesia. this is the first time we have sailed with this company, also my wife is disabled ( loss of both legs and confined to a wheelchair ), we sail from Miami, New York, Azores, Portugal, and Spain, ending up in Dover. Does anyone have any comments about the ship and the company, they would be very much apprecated like prices on board, drinks etc. Take care ......... Terry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MSC Poesia

Hi Terry,

Having worked on Pendennis Castle back in 1972/3, I never lost the love of the sea. So as I have enjoyed cruising for a number of years now, I took the plunge last year and took on a franchise selling cruises, as an independent ABTA bonded cruise consultant.

I had a cruise on MSC Orchestra last November, and visited the new MSC Magnifica in Southampton last week. MSC ships are really beautiful, and hopefully you will have a great time. I am afraid that due to the exchange rate, drinks aren't very cheap. To give you some idea I have listed some prices below, which are up to date as far as I know.

Cocktail - 6.70 euros
    Spirits - from 4.90 - 6.50 euros for 4cl
    Bud - 4.50 euros
    Newcastle Brown - 5.20 euros
    Carlsberg - 4.50 euros
    Guiness - 5.50 euros
    Draft Beer - 2.70 euros for 200cl / 4.70 euros for 400cl
    Water - 1.80 euros a bottle

They do not offer to serve jugs of iced water at meal times, preferring you to buy bottled, but if you insist then hopefully they will do so.

They do sell drinks packages (to be used in the restaurants, not the bars) and you should be able to get details from the agent you booked with.

Hope you enjoy the cruise.

Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MSC Poesia

Hi Ian. Thank's for that information, it was good of you. I was on the Keyna Castle back in the 60s, so at least we have somthing in common. I booked the Poesia on line and got a good deal, so I was wondering what the catch was, we usualy sail cruises on the Thomson Spirit, and go all inclusive, so I was trying to work out what money to expect to pay. Take care........ Terry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MSC Poesia

That's no problem Terry.

If you are used to cruising with Thomson I think you will find MSC very different. The British passengers are always in the minority on their ships, with all announcements usually made in 5 or 6 languages. You may also find some differences in service and entertainment, but as with most things the holiday will be what you make of it. There is no doubt though that the ships themselves are very nice.

You mention that you booked it on line, but hopefully you have made MSC fully aware of the need for a wheelchair accessible cabin. I say this because all the cruise lines have different rules with regard to how many wheelchairs they take, and there are only so many cabins on each ship which are suitable.

Regards

Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MSC Poesia

Hi Ian, when I mentioned that I booked on line, I really ment that I was looking at cruises with Cruise Deals, and found the Poesia, then I phoned the travel company and arranged all of the disability problems, they phoned MSC and booked us a disabled cabin, ( I think it is on deck 11 ). Thanks for all of your help. Take care.....Terry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Terry.
    Can't let you go off without a cheery good luck on the cruise. Hope your wife enjoys herself, and that you have nice calm seas the whole way.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MSC Poesia

Cheers des, that's very nice of you. Good to get away from cooking and den, ha, ha. Take care....... Terry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MSC Poesia

Thank's Jim. We have looked forward to it for some time, if the weather gets bad then Rita will have to put her breakes on ( ha,ha, ). I should think that a 93.000. ton ship should be more stable than the ships that I was on back in the 60s and 70s, when going accross the Alantic, 6.000. tons. Take care, and thank you.......Terry and Rita.