Thread: How much you paid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How much you paid

So there we were booked on the Coronavirus Princess for a 13 night cruise, at $4500 per head around Japan and Taiwan on June 13th.

Then we heard from Princess that all cruises on this ship up to June 11th had been cancelled, there was also doubt about the date we had.
    On the advice of the company rep we cancelled, this was early February.

Come mid February Princess announce they are going to do something different, a Winter season around Australia including a stop in New Guinea.
    There are about 40 or so cruises from May 2020 to April 2021 on this route ranging from 2 to 35 days in duration.

The date for the launch February 27th at 1100 hours.
    Within five minutes of this time the site had crashed such was the demand, but of course most are being advertised at half price.
    By now all that is left on any of the cruises is a few inboard cabins, they sol like hot cakes.

So finally I get through to them, get the last balcony on deck 9, at the very aft of the ship but one of the two biggest on board.
    So for 17 nights in a premium balcony for two of us total of $4998, bit of a change from $9,000 for 13 nights.
    Sailing from Sydney so a quick flight for us, not the 11 hours to Japan.
    While rooting around on the net waiting to get through I found by chance a site that shows the rates of pay on many of the cruise ships, along with some recommendations of which is best for what.

The rates I have never ever been able to get from crew members, just that it is so goo they can afford to buy private health insurance, buy a house and send the kids to uni, something they could never afford to do working ashore.

All rate are in $USA per month. All crew have an onboard account into which the money is paid, they then can do what they wish with it.
    The companies do provide services for them to send money back home.
    Rates for some, too many on there to take the all down.

Bedroom steward 1,200 to 2,200
    Assistant bed room steward 1,200 to 1,500
    Bar man 1,800 to 2,800
    Bar Manager 3,000 to 3,800
    Waiter 2,200 to 3,800
    Assistant Waiter 1,800 to 2,800
    1st Deck officer 5,000 to 12,000
    Staff Captain 6,000 to 15,000
    Captain 7,000to 18,000

I might add, room by the sea, all found but NO peak steward.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 10th March 2020 at 06:08 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How much you paid

Sounds like you got the tonnage hatch John . Used to be the place used to Stow all the spirits and kegs of beer. Also the after mooring ropes. Let’s hope they don’t keep the ropes down there anymore. JS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. Wages in 1967 I was ch. officer on the sunprincess no way related to ocean liners, but a USA owned ship and was on $750 U.S. a month which equates to $ 9000 a year US. Plus bonuses and two months pay at end of contract.
    At that time as mate on a uk ship the wages were 101 pounds 12/6 d. Per month plus 27 pound 2/6d a month in lieu of overtime. Unless am reading your info wrong there hasn’t been too much increases in 53 years. But must say am more impressed with catering wages. Which are way above 37 pounds a month from the period I quoted.however nationality of crew and flag of ship has other payments that maybe there or not. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th March 2020 at 07:27 AM.

5. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am off to San Diego, California next Wednesday, 18th, March, a couple of days in a hotel then join the Oosterdam of Holland America for a 28 day cruise across to the Hawaiian Islands, Christmas Islands in Kiribati, Bora Bora, Moorea, Papeete in Tahiti , Tuomotu , Raiatea, The Marquesses and back to Dago. and a week in a hotel there.
    They sent me an email yesterday, everyone will be tested for the Virus before being allowed to board.
    I always book an inside cabin the cheapest and I have always been upgraded to Ocean View Cabins.
    We always get Free laundry service, , so no dhobying, just leave it in a bag and next morning all clean and hanging on hangers.
    Ideal when p[saying off, go home with a bag of clean dhoby.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    We also get $500 onboard spending money.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How the world has changed. December 1964 I signed on the "Gothic" for my first trip as fireman, at £40 per month.
    The Gothic was First Class only if I remember correctly. It took us 30 days to get to Wellington, New Zealand.
    I do not know what the actual cost would have been but I recall it being mentioned that the passengers were paying £300. (London - Wellington).
    and us lads saying "How can people afford that kind of money?.

Today you would be lucky to get a good bicycle for £300.

Frank.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian, look forward to your voyage report when you return, have a good and enjoyable time. Rgds Den

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Dennis,
    I always write about the voyages, This One could be a little more Interesting.,
    Cheers
    Brian

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Memory tells me that at age 21, I joined my first ship, the RMS Balantia, in December 1953 as 5th Engineer and I was paid 30 pound a month.
    I did not have to keep watch, my job was a day-job to maintain the winches on deck for cargo work. Job was a piece of cake for me as I had just served a 5 year apprenticeship at Clarke Chapman's in Gateshead, builders of winches, capstans, and windlasses. Spent 12 months, 3 voyages, on the Balantia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Noel Kelly; 10th March 2020 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Thanks for that Dennis,
    I always write about the voyages, This One could be a little more Interesting.,
    Cheers
    Brian

Brian enjoy the time, you have earned it.
    Like us you stick with the one company, good benefits when you do, laundry, mini bar, upgrades, free money and a few other perks make sit worth while.
    Couple of cruises ago we were invited, along with six other bloods, to lunch with the Staff Captain, Hotel manager and a couple of other officers.
    Good lunch but could not help but think, there we were paying all this money for the cruise and we end up eating with the crew.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post