Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Punch up on cruise ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Punch up on cruise ship

Now Brian, I hope you have paid your union dues. LOL

But as has been said, thousands employed who would otherwise be trying to live on a few dollars a day.
    Speaking with many crew members they all have the same tale to tell.
    They can now as a result of being employed in such a manner buy a house, get health insurance, send the kids to uni and many other advantages they would not get ashore.
    Yes they may be away from home for 9 months, but hey how many of us were away for long periods?

They work hard but are happy, many have been with the company for long periods up to 30 years with some so it cannot be too bad.

We have just completed our 20th cruise and met a number of crew from previous ones, it is quite amazing how they can remember you sometimes after two or three years.
    Yes they get some rough customers, but they would amount to no more than about 1 or2 percent of the total, and when there are as many as 3,500 on board you have the population of a small town so yes problems may arise.

But unless someone can explain to me a better way of seeing the world, having a good time and meeting some very nice people then we will continue to do what we do.
    We have contact now with eight couples we have met over the years and see three of them regularly.

Well Brian ,what do you think?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Not all cruise ships are packed with thousands of people. see photos below, decks empty, while I do a spot of painting with the Sailors.
    Well there you go Brian, have you ever thought that the decks are empty because someone has said 'ere mate keep clear of that alleyway, they've let that ole seadog loose with a paint roller'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just wondering if these modern cruise liners have cells fitted to lock any misbehaving passengers up in or do they just confine them to their cabin, running the risk of them breaking up the cabin. Also how do they ensure they stay in the cabin, have they enough security staff on board to post a permanent guard outside the cabin or cabins?
    On the empress of Canada we had at least one padded cell and on night rounds at 02:00 it was one of my tasks to check on any occupants, only remember having one occupant who was happier to remain in the cell than to even leave it for exercise.
    Rgds
    J.A.

5. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Just wondering if these modern cruise liners have cells fitted to lock any misbehaving passengers up in or do they just confine them to their cabin, running the risk of them breaking up the cabin. Also how do they ensure they stay in the cabin, have they enough security staff on board to post a permanent guard outside the cabin or cabins?
    On the empress of Canada we had at least one padded cell and on night rounds at 02:00 it was one of my tasks to check on any occupants, only remember having one occupant who was happier to remain in the cell than to even leave it for exercise.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    Probably confined to cabin.
    I used to travel on the Tyne to Amsterdam ferry 2 or 3 times yearly and on one trip there was a very noisy bunch in the cabin next door who were hell bent on whooping it up.
    Before we left our cabin we heard a strange ripping sound coming from their cabin but it ceased after a few minutes so never thought any more about it and went up for dinner.
    Later on the noise started again and got so bad I went to reception to complain; we were given an even better cabin well away from them.
    Next morning I was talking with staff and was informed that those characters had caused quite a bit of hassle later and were confined to their cabin with a guard. It transpired that the ripping sounds we heard was from some sort of adhesive tape, which they used to mask the smoke detectors.
    I was travelling on to Germany from Amsterdam and I believe those guys were barred from travelling back, so well done to DFDS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There may well be some form of 'brig' on the ships though I have not heard of one. There are morgues though as a number of older, and some not so old, do pop their clogs at time son the cruise.

It does not require any one to stand on duty, with the electronic locking system on cabin doors it is easy for any one to be locked in.
    I doubt there is much chance of beating the door down, all fire proof and very sound.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3