Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Punch up on cruise ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Punch up on cruise ship

Quote Originally Posted by John Pruden View Post
    most things are bought with credit cards and the charge pays for the crews wages so on top of the cruise you pay again for the crew just greed?
    jp
    John, if you look at the make up of a cruise fare you will see that it only covers all basic costs, food, wages, fuel, docking fees etc.
    The profit comes from the 'add on's' Money spent in the bars, the speciality restaurants, shore tours, photography, gym, hair dressers and beauty parlors, speciality coffee shops and a few others such as wine in the restaurant at times at most outrageous prices.

Last Christmas I kid you not they had Champagne on the wine list as $6,750 a bottle.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 29th July 2019 at 06:17 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

THE RADIO Times offer for cruises is little more per day than the B&B prices, for eg, 121 day round the world cruise is £18000, or more modest Baltic cruise of 13 days at £1960, the ships are the Magellan, and Marco polo, and Columbus, remember those prices are for two people, obviously inside cabin etc, but my expectations at those prices would not be great, kt
    R689823

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Don't like ?, don't read, pretty simple really, kt
    Same applies to going on cruises

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All has been quiet on site of late, every one being pleasant, been on holiday Corrientes???, cruise maybe, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been cruising round the world for over 20 years since retirement, would not do anything else. every trip fantastic, Now got many friends world wide.
    I See many of our members, and enjoy their Hospitality, Vernon, Roger Dyer, Richard Quartermain, John Sabourn, Our Lou in Dunedin NZ. and many others,
    Never ever seen any trouble at all in all those years on any cruise ship.
    After a few years with Cunard, until the flagged out I always cruise with Holland America, smaller ships British and Dutch Officers and regular passengers who are always there every year. So every voyage is like a meeting of old friends.
    Booked again for next March for a cruise around the South Pacific, I have many friends there to see around Tahiti and the Cook Islands.,
    I have seen more of this world since retirement than I did in 48 years in the Merchant Navy.
    Choose your ships and Company wisely. and you will not want to do anything else.
    Best thing we ever did. So do not knock it if you haven't tried it. I will be 85 years old next time so still enjoying it.
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 29th July 2019 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All has been quiet on site of late, every one being pleasant, been on holiday Corrientes???, cruise maybe, kt
    All still being very pleasant as you say Keith. No cruises planned as yet but one never knows the day. I have never been a career "passenger ship" type of person and certainly swore all my life I would never set foot on a hideous looking cruise ship. Horrors of horrors! That was until my dear wife, whom I've known for 73 years, asked me to and of course, I did. Then perceptions changed dramatically and although I would not rush out and do it again of my own choice, I do nowadays take a slightly more open minded view of the darned things. True they are controversial, true they are solely out to fleece the punters but what and who isn't? It is also however true that they provide employment for thousands upon thousands of decent people who would otherwise be hunting around for a job (most that I spoke to, very happy with their lot) and they give immense pleasure to millions of ordinary folk. On this basis, I refrain from knocking them. Yes, there are those who stuff their faces and leave half their food, who loudly shout, sing, yell and get boozed up around the pool areas and indeed get involved in brawls. A tiny minority as only the bad things hit the press. Bottom line, that is their choice and in the modern day large cruise vessel, my experience is that it is very simple indeed to avoid them all, relax and ultimately get what you paid for. From my stand point, that is all I require.
    Last edited by corrientes; 29th July 2019 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't like ?, don't read, pretty simple really, kt
    Not often I disagree with you Keith, but alas if you don't read something just because you don't like it, then you may give yourself a very insular view of life, other peoples views and comments give you an idea of their thought processes, which sometimes may (or may not) give rise to concern about their mental stability.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was just a reply to a barbed comment Ivan, but think we are in smoother waters now !!! kt
    R689823

11. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not all cruise ships are packed with thousands of people. see photos below, decks empty, while I do a spot of painting with the Sailors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 29th July 2019 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah, now i know why you get the cruises at the right prices Brian lol, and if i might say so, you stay a lot cleaner painting ship than when i was at sea !!!, kt
    R689823

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast