Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Breaking News:

A cruise ship has suffered engine failure in windy conditions off the west coast of Norway and will evacuate its 1,300 passengers.

The Viking Sky was drifting towards land and had sent out a mayday signal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ifts-land.html
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Breaking News:

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    A cruise ship has suffered engine failure in windy conditions off the west coast of Norway and will evacuate its 1,300 passengers.

The Viking Sky was drifting towards land and had sent out a mayday signal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ifts-land.html
    Should we hold a lottery to see who guesses how a ship with 4 engines can lose them all at the same time?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe. The cooling water was common to all 4 and someone closed the shipside intake valve. Lack of paperwork I reckon and not following the safety procedure manual and filling in the correct forms which are self explanatory. Nobody noticed as there was no one down there and all the tv monitors were on the blink. Hope the passengers get a refund on their fares. And the lecky doesnt cop too much flack for pulling the wrong fuse. JS.
    PS like the media’s nautical description of the ship was swaying, wonder what music they would put to that scenario, also windy conditions how does that describe the weather? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th March 2019 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So many questions over this...

How did they end up in weather like this. JS question as above. The media comments on being too rough to use lifeboats. Why the decision to abandon ship - even running aground I'd surmise the passengers would have been in a safer position. Imagine this being one of those 5000 passenger boats as discussed elsewhere on here. Helicopters have wind limits, mostly start up and shut down but I wonder f the winds are as strong as being reported in the medi.

One passenger quoted on BBC saying it was too rough for the RNLI to come out - pretty sure they don't go to Norway.

I wonder how many of those passengers yawned and thought the safety brief was a waste of their time...

SDG
    Last edited by Shaun Gander; 24th March 2019 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can visualise the evacuation. By helicopter. ...
    Viking sky, Viking Sky this is Flight 32- FT our ETA is 20 minutes can you give me an update.
    Flight 32-FT this is Viking Sky reading you loud and clear .... we have 1300 passengers on board and 738 crew. Your first lift will be 20 passengers. 3 will be in wheelchairs and 2 on crutches. There will be one lady suffering from hysteria, she will be sedated and will have a medic with her to keep sedated on your passage back.
    The course is 062 degrees and speed is 4 knots , the ship is swaying and it is windy. You have a green deck.
    Viking Sky copy that please ensure that all passengers board here with empty bowels it is a 2 hour return flight, and hope they bring their own sandwiches. Food would also be appreciated by the flight crew of 3, a fortnam and masons food hamper would be ideal we require no fuel this trip. Our eta is now 4 minutes. .... over.
    Flight 32-FT. Copy that. You still have a green deck. The food and drink is on the house. Over and out.
    NB// The 2 obvious out of place words.... sliding and windy.

JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th March 2019 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Viking Sky propulsion is diesel electric, two approx 7,000 kw electric motors to two shafts.
    2 x 9 clyinder MAN generators of approx 5,000 kw each two 12 cylinder MAN of 7,000 kw approx.
    From reports looks like all four diesel failed and eventually one was restarted.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if perhaps our engineering members may be able to throw some light as to how four engines could fail at the same time and then only one could be restarted. I have been on a ship were our diesel engines stopped in a storm. That was as a result of the ship rolling so much that the fuel in the side bunkers which we were using at the time, drained away from the fuel outlet valves to the main engines, thus starving the engines of fuel. Luckily the engineers were able to get us re-started very quickly otherwise I might not have been sitting here now writing this request. It was positively hairy for a number of minutes to put it mildly. I doubt with a ship like Viking Sky that this could be the reason for this incident, however she was rolling a lot. Look forward to any suggestions. I have my doubts and I wonder how many others do too, that these Cruise Ships are not good sea boats and are very vulnerable in bad weather.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw on tv the furniture flying all over the place on this vessel, in my day all chairs and moveable furnishings could be bolted to the deck, is this not the norm now?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allman View Post
    I wonder if perhaps our engineering members may be able to throw some light. Look forward to any suggestions. I have my doubts and I wonder how many others do too, that these Cruise Ships are not good sea boats and are very vulnerable in bad weather.
    As an non engineer I'd suggested fuel contamination. As a Captain WTF were they even doing there?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Saw on tv the furniture flying all over the place on this vessel, in my day all chairs and moveable furnishings could be bolted to the deck, is this not the norm now?
    They are no longer ships but floating hotels.

My last job we worked some fairly rough weather, one stew wanted flowers around the boat - convincing her this wasn't pratical wasn't possible until the vases ended up on the deck.

SDG
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 25th March 2019 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shaun in my little visualization , and if the Capt. Of the Costa Concordia was in the same position in a similar light and with your additional qualifications as a medic he would of had the ideal excuse for accompanying the hysterical lady on the first flight out, instead of having to fall into a lifeboat and suffer all the indignitys and suggestions of him bailing out. As for the engines it was the lecky he was only used to DC ships and he pulled the wrong fuse as said. He forgot that Volts equals amps times ohms. Ask Vic he knows. Someone has to carry the can. If any reporter is reading these posts they may even be reproduced with a few embellishments in the presses of the world . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th March 2019 at 12:20 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast