Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Breaking News:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Breaking News:

Shaun, here in Oz the tipping is not part of Oz culture, though we may at times tip the taxi driver but that is about it for most.
    I sign the waiver as I will not be told how much I have to tip, if any.
    But having been in catering at sea I know how hard the wingers and BR have to work so if they give good service they get a reward.

On one ship the lady who looked after my waiver request was from Japan, she was very sympathetic telling me that tipping in Japan would be considered an insult.

Funny how it varies from country to country, but I know the USA hospitality workers rely on that as wages are not so good.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Chris Allman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The "hotel charges " or tips on the ship are not just for the table or cabin stewards, bur are for the crowd you never see.
    The Laundry Workers, , on HAL we get Free laundry, leave it in the bag in the evening and comes back next day washed ironed and on coat hangers, clean towels and sheets every day.
    the cleaners who work during the night to clean and polish the alley ways and public rooms, the theatre etc. The galley Staff from the heavy gang to the cooks, etc. and many other `out of sight` workers who help to make it a good voyage.
    so I do not mind paying it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder in our Sea Days if that was the case as well Capt,i cannot recall all i know is that we got good Tips from the Bloods but all that was kept by the individual, now thinking on it wonder how all the others got their Tips??
    Cheers

In addition to this nowdays and for a long time i have always given good Tips to any Waiters or Stewards ,if they give good service ,have never been a scrounger on paying for that.
    I know that these days thay have the Plate or whatever that one can place Tips in ,and it is devided at end of day to all the Staff involved which is a good system,but even then i still on top of putting in the Plate give the peson who served me a seperate Tip..
    Just my way.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th April 2019 at 09:47 AM.
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

5. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no problem with giving a tip for good service, but do object to having to pay as much as $14 per person per day as some shipping companies attempt to charge.
    Most of them have a 15% charge on all bar sales, but in London last time couple of years ago I noticed in all the restaurants there was added to the bill a compulsory 'service charge' most times at about 10%.
    Fine for some, but in some of the ones we went to the service was very ordinary. If they know there is to be a compulsory tip then there is little insentive to do better.

On the ships it was different for us, give good service and it may well be rewarded.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember when in Greece many years ago I took a local bus from Athens to see the lion gate (art classes). The gate was very small bit like the mermaid in Denmark. The trip in the bus was hilarious. I bought local yoghurt which was passed around the bus for all to share along with the local "wine" and cheese. We all had a merry time not sure how I got back to Athens as that "wine" was really potent. As I came from Sydney the local milkbar owner gave me a lot of food free as he had relatives who had emigrated there. Great times and people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Victoria many of the early milk bars were Greek owners, now mainly Leabanese.
    But they all give good service and still do very well with local clientele.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8