Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Breaking News:

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Shaun in my little visualization , and if the Capt. Of the Costa Concordia was in the same position in a similar light and with your additional qualifications as a medic he would of had the ideal excuse for accompanying the hysterical lady on the first flight out, instead of having to fall into a lifeboat and suffer all the indignitys and suggestions of him bailing out. Cheers JS
    We both know the safest option would to be to keep them aboard. As a commercial helicopter pilot too I wouldn't want to fly in those conditions let alone winch untrained public.

SDG

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I worked with the RN. We didnít have a heli deck so all personnel transfers were by winch and line. I usually got the job of welcoming them on board as their feet touched the deck. For this purpose I had what we called the shepherds crook , a pole with a wire leading from the metal crook part and the end fastened to a convenient point of the steel deck. When hovering and lowering a person to the ship a static electric charge is usually built up and to earth them before their feet hit the deck I was supposed to touch the belt buckle of the harness before making contact with the steel deck. Otherwise they were liable for a short sharp shock. It was amazing the number of times I missed hitting the buckle , some used to say it was because I didnít like them , however they couldnít prove it. I used to discuss with the matelots any high ranking naval officers arriving if they needed a short sharp shock for any reason. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th March 2019 at 03:56 AM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were varied reports here on Oz, as to the ships age and condition.
    One report said 16 years old, the other suggested a refit had taken place in 2016, take your pick.

Four engines failing at once????????????

But to my astonishment is where the ship intended to cruise at this time of year.
    Cruise companies are well aware of weather patterns and schedule cruise accordingly, most of those ships do not fair so well in heavy seas so every effort is made to ensure all cruises take place at a time when seas will be low.

To even consider a cruise along the Norway coast at this time of year is in my mind folly. Most cruise companies would not consider going there much before mid April when most of the bad weather should be over.

One other factor about all Viking ships. They are of a smaller design than most taking only about 1500 or so on at a time.
    But as you may have noticed there are only six life boats.
    These boats are about three or four times the size of a normal life boat and there are no visable life rafts to be seen.
    Most other cruise ships the life rafts can bee seen quite clearly.

The water seen around the ankles of some one assumes was from a leak and not from running aground as she made it back to port.

No doubt the 'ambulance chasers' would have been there on the quay waiting for passengers to disembark, ready to hand out their business cards.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks John - she was actually launched in March 2016, so she is only just 3 years old. Hope they have a decent warranty out on her
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would guess that water has contaminated the fuel big time, sounds a bit like "The Union Star" disaster all over again to me.
    R 800658 Kn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Norton View Post
    Would guess that water has contaminated the fuel big time, sounds a bit like "The Union Star" disaster all over again to me.
    that was my first guess. Happened to me once up the South China sea in a typhoon. Pumpman never closed bunker hatch properly after loading bunkers in Singapore.
    Both boilers went out just after midnight, wild ride that was..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Norway launches investigation into why Viking Sky cruise ship set sail into why Viking Sky cruise ship set sail into 50mph storm and put its 1,300 passengers at 'high risk' before emergency evacuation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-set-sail.html
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

11. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone know if the Viking Sky had anymore auxiliary means of manouvering like azimuth thrusters. And if so were these out of commission also. ? JS....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th March 2019 at 02:48 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#17 The headline for the press story should also bring into question if like it infers the vessel was sailing out into a storm , why the port which I have no idea which one it was, wasn’t closed to all shipping movements. Within its jurisdictions. Headlines made up by inexperienced people can be very misleading , maybe on purpose to catch the eye of the unsuspecting reader. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to reports today from UK there had been a warning put out about a storm in the area and the course set for the ship at that time was into it.
    All very odd as we have been on a cruise where such weather has been announced and the ship changed course.
    Someone may well get the DCM after all of this.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast