Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cruise ruined by tobacco executives

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cruise ruined by tobacco executives

Wasn’t that the lady who takes the part in that old series on TV and is now back on in Oz 40 years later, the show was / is called Murder She Wrote . She also used to live in the Savoy in London. Angela somebody I think. JS

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Wasn’t that the lady who takes the part in that old series on TV and is now back on in Oz 40 years later, the show was / is called Murder She Wrote . She also used to live in the Savoy in London. Angela somebody I think. JS
    Lanbury?

Not sure this lady was famous, but remember saying something about never doing laundry, housework or cooking

SDG

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was Angela Lansbury who starred in Murder she wrote, don't know if it was her living on a cruise ship though.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seem to recall an article a few years back where an elderly lady had basically moved onto a cruise ship instead of a care home as it worked out cheaper and she got better service from the crew who had got to know her so well. She also got to travel all over.
    SDG

The Lady who lived on a cruise ship is Beatrice Mueller ,an American lady I knew her and was with her several times.
    She was on the QE2 , her husband died, and after sorting out what she was going to do as a widow, weighed up her options Retirement homes, very expensive. etc. She did a deal with Cunard, The QE2 became her home,, she lived on board that was her home address. It was cheaper than a care home. She had her own ensuite cabin, bedroom steward to look after her, laundry done, 24 hours a day room service, very best Restaurant, entertainment, and an excellent social life, . she became a celebrity. Invited to all the private cocktail parties in the Captains Cabin with all the Celebs.
    , been there with her. and she toured the world none stop. A fantastic life style, for a very cheap price.
    When QE2 went into dry dock every year, Cunard put her into the Dorchester Hotel in London, then back onto the ship.
    Her sons and daughter would take it in turns to do a cruise on QE2 to visit her so she saw her family regularly,
    When QE2 was sold in 2008 she transferred to the Queen Mary 2, and I was with her again, she loved it.

Not too sure now if she is still alive, but what a way to live out your last years. sure beats the hell out of any retirement home.
    Thinking of it myself.
    Cheers, Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 8th October 2018 at 10:37 AM.

7. Thanks Shaun Gander thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have absolutely no desire to go cruising. I see the huge floating apartment blocks and the container ships, in Charleston ( that look like low rise aircraft carriers when empty and a pile of boxes when loaded). The ships of today leave me cold, I'll stick with my memories of the lovely "Port Townsville" and the "big ships" Castle boats.

That being said, I gave you a like to your post #7. Captain K. I gave it for your manner in spending what's left of your time, "Good on yer!" May you and your bride have a wonderful time, I'm sure with your attitude you will. Bon Voyage shipmate.
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 8th October 2018 at 03:02 PM.

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your comments Rodney,
    We NEVER EVER sail on the big cruise ships that look like shopping trolleys with thousands on board.
    We sail on the small ones, The next world cruise is January, out of Fort Lauderdale, , two and a half months, only 850 people on it, The third time we have been on this ship so we know what to expect.
    Very comfortable, No kids or lunatics on, just people of a like mind and age, we have many friends who we see every year.
    BUT I am still seafaring, I sit down aft, feet on the rails, watching the wake across a blue sea, see the flying fish and dolphins again. and feel the throb of the propellers, I am back to my seafaring days. I can wander up to the wheel house and stand with the 2nd Mate on watch in an afternoon. .
    Good social life, well fed. with the finest service and menus. I do not spend money on a crap holiday, only on something memorable and enjoyable every year.

Now what is wrong with a vacation like that. choose your ship and Itinerary wisely and there is nothing better, we are going to be dead soon at this age, So Enjoy.

Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 8th October 2018 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know what Brian means, do the same myself just spending time watching the ships wake and enjoying the sound of the sea.

On our last cruise to Japan and South Korea we met with a lady we had seen on previous cruises, she lives at sea now, cheaper than any shore side establishment and ion this one had her daughter with her.

She invited us to the Captains evening as her guest, very good it was.

Intends to die at sea if she has to as no desire to ever go back to living on shore.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2