Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cruise

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Cruise

I have just watched the T.V. programme The Cruise, I reaiise its progress
    but am I the only old salt rhat feels like throwing something at the telly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Cruise

Quote Originally Posted by john middleton View Post
    I have just watched the T.V. programme The Cruise, I reaiise its progress
    but am I the only old salt rhat feels like throwing something at the telly.
    No John you are not. Did'nt watch the programme myself as I had a feeling it would be a load of crap. Nothing would induce me book a holiday on what can only be described as floating holiday camp circa 2017.
    Regards
    John C

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not the kind of ship I would sail on,. I always go Holland America, small ships and just nice, and the Medi ports are all crap anyway.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Not the kind of ship I would sail on,. I always go Holland America, small ships and just nice, and the Medi ports are all crap anyway.
    Brian
    I noticed that on the bridge everyone was sitting down looking into screens as opposed to looking out the windows, wonder what they would do if they sailed on some of the ships we did, no radar, no gyro, just a magnetic compass, no iron mike, just a D/F (when it worked) and an echo sounder (when it worked) to find the 100 fathom line, wonder if they know what a 100 fathom line is, and achieving 10 knots with a following wind and sea

5. Thanks Captain Kong, Colin Wood thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Modern ships, like modern aircraft, area far cry from those of our days. But like any other day to day item they have moved on, cars are another example of how technology ios changing the world. Driverless cars and les men on the bridge sign of the times.

We will never forget the ships we knew but that was yesteryear and the world stands still for no man.

We may now either embrace the new or remain in the past the choice is yours. I enjoy the cruise ships, not for the 'holiday camp' atmosphere some say exists on there, but rather to experience new countries, meet ne people and see how the world has and continues to change.

You cannot condemn the man until you have walked a mile in his shoes comes to mind.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 Whilst I agree with everything you say John, not everything shows up on the radar screen, not all sailing craft carry radar reflectors at the mast head, and small craft are not always seen amongst the 'clutter' caused by various sea conditions. The U S Navy has recognised this problem saying that a visual lookout 'must' be maintained at all times, due to too many collisions which were 'radar assisted', in the 1950's Blue Star removed radars from their vessels because of quite a few incidences of 'Radar Assisted' collisions, but in those days that was due to the newness of the equipment and radar courses were not compulsory, and until you had been on one you took guidance on its use from those senior to you who had also never been on a radar course but thought they knew how to use it, only after going on the course you realised that you had been doing it wrong. When as a young 3rd Mate with your brand new radar certificate (RC) in your pocket you joined a vessel where-in all those above you had all their tickets but no RC some would listen to you on why you were doing it different to them, but others wouldn't just because you were a 3/m and hardly old enough to shave and 'Night Order Books' still contained the instructions signed by the Captain 'call me if you want to switch on the radar'. The US Navy has also re-introduced the use of the sextant and Nories (other brands are available) Tables and Almanacs dispensed which over 20 years ago they deemed as not necessary in 'today's world' . Now re-introduced because so many ships are experiencing full electrical breakdowns on their navigational systems. So yes I do embrace today's world, but a lot of the past is still useful

8. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4... Is this a quiz. I know the answer, a 600 foot washing line ??? JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #4... Is this a quiz. I know the answer, a 600 foot washing line ??? JS
    I forgot to mention the rotating washing line, you win first prize, but sorry I cannot afford the postage so will drink it on your behalf...........cheers blue!

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan have the US Navy reverted to the sextant as they are in fear or are aware that the GPS could be knocked out by a foreign power or would they be able to use the GLONASS sat-nav system should the GPS be knocked out.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

13. Likes Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I noticed that on the bridge everyone was sitting down looking into screens as opposed to looking out the windows, wonder what they would do if they sailed on some of the ships we did, no radar, no gyro, just a magnetic compass, no iron mike, just a D/F (when it worked) and an echo sounder (when it worked) to find the 100 fathom line, wonder if they know what a 100 fathom line is, and achieving 10 knots with a following wind and sea Ivan.

I saw that wheelhouse, full of screens and two OOWs sat in big comfortable arm chairs.. it was full of other people whose function was, I don't know.
    I used to navigate big VLCCs twice the size of that ship single handed, just me in the wheelhouse and one man in the other watches, , One Voyage from the Gulf round the Cape to Europe the RADARS conked out leaving the Gulf, couldn't get them fixed until we got to Rotterdam. so No Radars. only good eye sight for two months.
    sailing through the English Channel and Dover Straits to Rotterdam was not a little scary with all kinds of vessels in the wrong lane and foggy with ferries flashing past, But we did it.
    Did not dare to sit down on the only Pilot Chair.
    Only had a Look out man on at night.. Navigated by sun and Star sights. and the old spider DECCA Nav when in range. No Computers. No Calculators, Just a compass and a Sextant and a book, Norries.

So I wonder if todays Navigators could do that, ??
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 13th January 2017 at 11:56 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast