Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cruise ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The toilets on the new cruise ships are of the Aeroplane type, they do not flush like the water closet type, it is of the suction type. I believe very dangerous if you remain seated when you flush, I once heard of a fat lady being badly injured on a Carnival boat, when she did just that and nearly had all her tripes sucked out.

When I was on the last world cruise on the QE2, just two years ago, I had a drink in the bar and just before dinner went to the Gents wash room. In one of the cubicles was a Philipino waiter, an awful stench, he came out as I was washing my hands and opened the door and went to the Caronia Restaurant and to a table to wait on the bloods. I asked the Maitre `D, Did he wash his hands with the gel when he went in. The Maitr`D said No.
    I told him that the waiter had had a crap and never washed his hands. The Maitre D went and sent him out of the Restaurant with a severe bollocking, His hands must have had a million Ecoli bacteria galloping around as he was about to handle the punters dinner plates. At the time everyone was required to use the alcohol gel to cleanse the hands. I never saw that waiter in the Restaurant again.
    That could easily have caused an outbreak of Ecoli or Novo virus.

I have to go to the Hospital twice a week for Physio, at the entrance is two Gel machines with a large notice saying `STOP clean your hands`. I seem to be the only one who uses it. everyone walks by and into the wards visiting, No one wants to know, I have even stopped people and pointed it out , still dont want to know. The ******s will not use them, , they say it contains alcohol and is against their religion
    When I had an operation in October, my favourite cousin Bob, was in the next ward, he died while I was there with that `hospital` bug MRSA because people will not cleanse themselves.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 9th January 2010 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cruise ship

The vacuum toilets I have seen draw the fluids and solids away but there is a flush of a fluid to clean and disinfect the bowl. A blue substance. If you do not do that a vacuum cannot clean the bowl.
    A vacuum system is the most difficult to maintain as you cannot see leaks. air is drawn into leaks. Of course if it is drawn in it must be exhausted into the vessel. A nightmare of Sh-t.

Oh for a Shanks Solway valve and a proper salt water sanitary system. Salt water is a great steriliser.

regards
    jimmy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the news today a cruise ship off the coast of Spain hit by 8 meter waves, glass shattered and two dead with about 90 or so injured. Apparently hit by a freak wave in what was considered to be a farily rough sea.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two people were killed and six injured Wednesday when a massive wave crashed into a cruise ship with almost 2,000 people onboard in the Mediterranean, Spain's maritime rescue service said.

The wave "smashed windows in the lounge area" of the Maltese-flagged Louis Majesty, a spokesman for the service told AFP.

He said the accident occurred Wednesday evening off the coast of Spain's northeastern Catalonia region as the vessel, run by the Cypriot-based Louis Cruise Lines, was en route for the Italian port of Genoa.

After the accident the captain decided to take the vessel to the Spanish port of Barcelona to evacuate the victims.

Police in Greece said one of passengers killed was German and the other was Italian. They said there were 1,350 passengers on the ship and 580 crew, including the Greek captain.

Spanish news reports said only one of the six injured, a 62-year-old woman whose legs were broken, was in serious condition.

A spokeswoman for the Barcelona port authority said the vessel had set off from Cartagena in southeast Spain earlier Wednesday. She said it was expected in Barcelona Wednesday evening.

Maybe I am getting old , but since when has 26 feet been an exceptionally high wave ?
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a thought , the old Union Castle liners had about 8.9 Metres Draught and I think 8 decks above te water line . and on a good day they could roll about a bit . The Louis Majesty has a six metre draught and eleven decks . The words floating shoe box comes to my mind . These cruise ships seem to get higher with less and less of them under the water . Recipe for an ubstable ship in my eyes . I think I would want to aviod them . They have to be more sensative to wind and currents than any of the old ships , and i wouldn't like to rely on stabilisers for my comfort , We always had to take them in in rough seas

Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Right on Rob, remember the Windsor being hit in the Bay by wavesthe top of which hit the bridge deck, sure she rolled a bit but kept going and no one got hurt.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cruise Ships

These vessels are all built to minimum draught but also to minimum freeboards and when you stand at the marks, the deckline is about just below the jolly boat embarkation door. That is the continuous deck to which the bulkheads rise to. When she takes in water at deck five it runs though the ship, there is no watertight doors above the bulkhead deck. As you pitch and take water on the fo'castle it hits deck five at the observation windows. The punters were probably looking at the waves breaking when the big ones hit. They would not know any better a shame. I have seen a twelve inch diameter heavy duty porthole and mount stove in. The sea will run through those windows.
    She should not have been out in that weather!!! Bahamas Flag.

regards
    jimmy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just seen some footage taken by one of the passengers at the time the first wave hit. A lot of water in the accomodation areas but from the outside no real sign of damage. She did roll abit judging by the footage taken.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Gulliver Guest

Default Shattered Front Windows......

Another similar incident occurred on 7/3/10,this time to a ferry.
    According to the Daily Casualty & Piracy Report from the Cargolaw Website:-
    http://www.cargolaw.com/presentations_casualties.php

"4,174-gt Morocco-flagged ferry Atlas (IMO 7361049), running between Tánger and Algeciras (Cádiz) with 125 passengers, was struck by a large wave in the Gibraltar narrow on Mar. 6. 5 passengers were injured by broken glass when the wave shattered the windows of a forward saloon. [From our Sr. Correspondent Tim Schwabedissen, 7-3-10]"

Its obvious that too much aluminium and glass on forward weatherdecks is not a good idea.
    They should build them like warships( with less decks and facilities-)they are far too big ,and enclose the forward observation decks with steel,not glass,with tiny little portholes.! If passengers want to see where they're going then they could have webcams scanning the forward and side horizons,or if the weather is good then let them onto the upper decks. Not aesthetically pleasing,but much safer.But this will never be of course!

Gulliver

Gulliver Guest

Default m.v. VISTAMAR

3rd June 2010
    'Italian-flagged luxury cruise liner VISTAMAR was detained in Belfast on June 3 after inspectors from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) found the vessel in breach of safety code. The passenger vessel had been en route from Invergordon when it docked in Belfast and surveyors boarded the vessel to perform an inspection. Fire doors on the Italian-flagged Vistamar ship were found to be missing, broken, or with latches missing. PA systems and emergency lights for life rafts were found to be not working, and the ship did not meet ISM maintenance requirements, according to inspectors. '
    Vistamar is 21 years old,twin screw diesel 17knots,built 1989 in Valencia,Spain.GRT=7478

Carries 330 'discerning' passengers on various worldwide cruises.

I'm a discerning passenger--- - and I would choose not to cruise in her then!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast