Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: QM2 Man Overboard??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: QM2 Man Overboard??

Hi Des,

Thanks - it's good to be back. After reading another online article, I scrolled down to look at the comments. I often find the comments people make quite interesting. One was convinced he must have been blown overboard by heavy winds. As the article also mentioned there was heavy fog, I was compelled to point out that there wouldn't be heavy winds if it was foggy.

I suppose we'll never know if they find him, but I'm thinking it's unlikely.

Cheers!
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jaycin
    He might have been a bit foggy after a session in the pig and whistle, only a small puff to send him flying.
    Cheers Des

3. Likes N/A, Jacyn Wade liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had a gay steward go over the side one night on the Windsor, by the time he was declared missing it was far too late. But under international law I believe ships only have to go back for two hours to search.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks N/A, Jacyn Wade thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just heard on the news that there is a search going on at present for someone lost overboard from a ship off Aberdeen. Did not catch what type od ship it was though.
    Regarding time spent searching for a man overboard, I cannot recall ever seeing or hearing about a minimum (or maximum) time that you have to spend searching for a man overboard. I would have thought it depended more on sea conditions and sea temperature more than any arbitrary time set by legislation.
    In the 70's there was a quite famous case where a young cadet went over board off a British registered tanker, somewhere in warm tropical waters around, I think, the Indonesian Islands and he was found some 18 or more hours later swimming around by his own ship searching for him. Apart from sea conditions and temperature etc. it is also the mind set of the person going over the side that may determine how long they stay alive as many would most likely give up all hope of being rescued within a short time of going over the side if they were not strong willed.
    rgds
    JA

7. Thanks N/A, Jacyn Wade thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I attended the Inquest on the 13 Dead of the POOL FISHER that sank in the English Channel, the Royal Navy Surgeon Commander who was giving medical evidence said the sea temperature was 50 degrees and depending on age survival time would be around 5 to 10 minutes then hypothermia sets in and death occurs,
    Two young lads one 17 and the other aged 18 survived for four hours and were on the point of death when the helicopter picked them up and got them into Haslar Hospital in Gosport. He said it was only because they were fit, well built and young that saved them.
    Brian

9. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy, N/A, Ivan Cloherty, Jacyn Wade thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the "Oronsay" in 1963 we lost an AB/Boatman called "Biddy", it was between Hawaii & Vancover. It seems he went outside the rails to get from 1st class to the tourist class open decks slipped and fell. It was between 0600 & 0800 hrs, the ship did the "Williamson turn" that puts you back on the opposite course for a few hours alas no luck. The poor bloke was never found despite the US coastguard planes assistance. Very Sad.
    Last edited by Graham Payne; 17th August 2015 at 12:44 PM.
    Graham R774640

11. Thanks Jacyn Wade, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Halibut fishermen in the Bering sea, wear survival suites at all times.Some have been found alive, after many hours in those fidget waters.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thats interesting den i guess JS for one and others who were at sea recently compared to me would know about these new type survival suits asworn on the helis going out to the rigs and back regards cappy

14. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the SA VAAL in 1970 when a man was overboard.
    We left Las Palmas on the evening and the steward reported him missing the following day. A search was undertaken - not found. Ship turned around, we backtracked for six hours no sign of him.
    The Captain stated that once L.P spotted on the RADAR he would turn the ship round. Radar spotted L.P at the same time as the Bow lookouts spotted him in the water, we nearly ran him down.
    Ship alarms sounded, ship turned in an arc and stopped about 100 yards from him.
    Lifeboat lowered, passenger rescued, severe sunburn on his back and shoulders, otherwise - well
    Vic
    PS lot more to this story.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18.... There are survival suits and survival suits cappy. The ones made for frigid waters are extremely expensive and should if the truth were known be tailor made to fit the individual, they used to take another person to assist in the putting on and zipping up of the wearer , after that you were extremely restricted in your movements. To my recollection the ship would be long gone if trying to put on in a hurry. Then you had the next one down for helicopter transportation easier to put on but not fully exposure proof. The ones out here if crew changing in more friendly waters consisted of wearing a pair of long trousers and anywhere if travelling in a helicopter that was the rule of flying, the suits used by FRC crews were usually the old discarded suits worn by heli crews and were picked up at Dyce airport when thrown out. On Stand by vessels 4 of these were carried for the use of the FRC crew only. Together with a hand held walkie talkie was the gear carried in such boats, myself and others had often complained about the inadequacy of such and it took the loss of many lives to get the use of throat mikes. I still believe the best life saving apparatus is the ship you are on, look after her and she will look after you, after that if the sea wants you, you are hers. No doubt there will be others who have different views on this, but the survival suits I saw were all made for someone 6 feet 6 inches tall and wore a size 15 shoe and had hands like shovels and wore a size 9 hat. you were in fact like something from the deep when finally got dressed and had to flap around at a very slow pace, the only place for you was in the water. Ivan and myself could both of got into one and still had space for the girl you could see right through. Cheers JS PS If sharing one with Ivan would prefer it was face to face. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th August 2015 at 01:39 AM.

17. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast