Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A voyage to the South Seas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A voyage to the South Seas

Hi,
    Here is an account of our trip to the South Pacific on the STATENDAM.
    STATENDAM, TO THE PACIFIC 2015.

. We flew to San Diego two days before we were due to Join the STATENDAM, of Holland America. This gave us a chance to adjust to time and climate and to look around San Diego, It is a very interesting seaport, the hotel facing directly at the Maritime Museum and cruise terminal.
    They had the STAR OF INDIA an ex British Sailing ship, about 150 years old in lovely condition, The ROSE from the movie Captain and Commander with Russell Crow. Two submarines, a San Francisco ferry and several other vessels, further down the front was the USS MIDWAY an aircraft carrier from 1945 with more planes on board than we have in all our services combined.
    Next was the Statue of a US Sailor kissing a Nurse, it is about 60 feet high, taken from a photo on Broadway in 1945 when it was the end of WW2, perfect detail. Then next was a bronze statue of Bob Hope entertaining an audience of injured troops and nurses in WW2, a loud speaker was broadcasting his jokes and quips. Very entertaining to sit there and listen.
    Yes, I think San Diego is one of my favourite US cities.
    On Friday morning 13 February, an unlucky day to sail for sailors. See the story of Captain Friday who sailed out on a Friday on the good ship SS Friday, who was launched on a Friday to disprove the theory, and was never seen again.
    The STATENDAM arrived at 7 am and at 12 noon we joined and had lunch and got ready for sailing at 5pm.
    I was on this very same ship two years ago, February 2013 and sailed on a Friday, six days later in Honolulu, lying on a hospital trolley a Doctor told me I only had Four days to live without treatment and if you had sailed on the ship you would be in a canvas bag on the bottom of the ocean.
    To beat the jinx of sailing on Friday 13, I kept my watch on GMT So that sailing at 5pm on Friday 13 local time it was actually 1 am on Saturday 14 GMT.
    The old country song, `Its Five O`clock Somewhere ` came to mind.
    I was on deck at 5pm, the band was playing the `Sailaway`, passengers dancing, I stood by the rails with Anne, A seagull headed for me missing my head by inches and crapped, over my head, down my face and over my new white shirt.
    Anne said , “I`ll go and get some toilet paper, “ I said, “Don’t be daft, the seagull will be miles away by now”. She said, “I`ll get some tissue to wipe it off,”
    I had to go to the cabin and have a shower and change of shirt. I thought, `It’s the curse of sailing on a Friday 13.`
    In 63 years of seafaring and cruising I have never once been `hit` by a seagull.
    It was with trepidation that I stood on deck as we sailed down the harbour.
    Our dinner was at 8pm, we went to the Dining Room, The Matre` D got a steward to take us to a table of six that was to be our table for the next 30 days. When we got there a couple spoke to us in froggy french, oh my God, I thought, this cannot be happening. Then next came another couple who sat next to us, speaking german, Arrrghhh. My worst night mare, trapped between two frogs and two krauts. The Curse of sailing on Friday 13 was upon me.
    We got up and went to find the Matre`D. I played hell with him, He apologised and said he didn’t like germans or frogs, He was Dutch, he said his father told him the germans came in the war and stole all their bikes.
    He found us a nice table for two and we became friends.
    We then had a very pleasant trip two and a half thousand miles across the Pacific to Hilo on Hawaii, the Big Island.
    Having just had my cancer operation a couple of weeks before, I decided to get fit again so every evening at 5pm I went to the Gym and worked out with the weights and machines for one hour and soon could feel a big difference.
    In Hilo we did a tour of the island, it is the one with volcanos and lava flows, huge cracks in the earth pour out smoke and steam, The island is getting bigger all the time with the lava flowing into the ocean. Quite a fascinating place and was very interesting walking through the Lava Tubes of an active volcano
    Next Island was Lahaina, a lovely little island, with the worlds biggest Banyan tree where they hold their market underneath it. Anne and I had lunch and a few beers at the Hard Rock Café, we always call in there when we are there.
    The following day was Saturday and found us in Honolulu moored by the Aloha Tower. All that area was closed down and is to be rebuilt as part of the University and shopping mall.
    Anne and I went ashore and we walked the Queens Medical Centre where I had my two lifesaving operations two years ago to the week. I wanted to thank the Staff for saving my life. Unfortunately being Saturday no one was there. I saw the Secretary and wrote out a thank you letter to Doctor Ogiharra, Doctor Lim, Doctor Sean Ray and Charge Nurse Kathy Steiner and to all the beautiful nurses who looked after me for two weeks. The Secretary typed out the letters and would deliver them for me. I felt a lot better then.
    We then walked to the Royal Palace and did the tour again, very interesting place, it is where the last Queen was deposed by the US Marines when they annexed the Islands illegally. The Hawaiian people are still not happy about it. I was talking to a very popular Hawaiian man who I knew, he told me they wanted to be part of the British Commonwealth and that is why the Hawaiian State Flag has the Union Flag of Britain on it.
    The old FALLS OF CLYDE, an ex British sailing ship at the now closed Maritime Museum in Honolulu looking very neglected, not been touched for four years now.
    Sunday we spent that day on Waikiki Beach , the place was disgusting, nubile young ladies in bikinis with long legs and tanned rounded thighs walking past me all day. They were all out being Sunday. My Blood Pressure was sky high, I was sweating, trembling and lips dribbling. Should not be allowed by Health and Safety.
    Sunday evening we sailed for Tabuaeran, or Fanning Island, part of Kiribati, three days sail away after crossing the International Date Line and losing a day. It is one of the poorest Islands in the world where they have NOTHING. Not even water or electricity. We have been there before and we took a load of kids T Shirts and toys which were gratefully received.
    We bought a few trinkets, made of sea shells, necklaces and baskets, That is all they have, there are no shops there, just a mission school where the kids learn English, They live on a diet of Coconuts, fish and the occasional pig. Last time I was there we left several plastic barrels for them to collect rain water to drink. They are a very cheerful people, singing and dancing for us as we landed on the beach.
    We sailed at 2pm and crossed the Equator and the International Date Line again getting our lost day back, and four days later arrived in Bora Bora in French Polynesia, sometimes known as the most beautiful Island in the world. A must there is a call at Bloody Mary`s for one of her famous cocktails and lunch then onto the beach, a beautiful place, a small bar there serves cool Hinano Beer. Two days of Paradise there and then sailed for Raiatea, a small island with a sister Island Taha`a. Raiatea was the centre of ancient Polynesian culture, there were many ancient sites of Polynesian legends, the best known is Taputapuatea where the alter was used for human sacrifice and cannibalism until the Missionaries put a stop to their games.
    The smaller sister Island Taha`a is 15 minutes away by ferry, and very mountainous, all these Islands are made from huge volcanos.
    It has a beautiful lagoon and palm fringed `motus`, tiny islands.
    We sat in the marketplace watching the hula dancers, very interesting whilst drinking Tahitian rum poured into the top of a coconut with the milk. Beautiful.
    The following day arrived in Papeete in Tahiti.
    My old friends Kahuaii and Stanley and his new wife Eline were waiting on the quay side for us. Stanley and Eline got married after many years together, last June and gave us a video of their wedding, very interesting, colourful and the music is great, anyone want to see it let me know, Marian and Vernon have seen it. They took us to the restaurant where they had their wedding dinner, `Captain Blighs`, built over the lagoon, a paradise and they bought us the same wedding dinner with lots of wine and liquers, I must admit I got legless, not had a drink for near 12 months due the medication I was on. It did me good.
    The following morning we arrived in Moorea, another beautiful island paradise, been there a few times. I asked around for my old friend Rico and Fifi again , I was told they had gone to france, why anyone should want to go to france is beyond me, We took a mini bus and did another tour of the island again.
    We sailed in the evening and the next morning we were off Rangiroa one of the motus in Tuomotu, one of the largest ring of motus in the world.
    The wind was blowing at 45 knots plus and the Captain was unwilling to take the ship through the reef, so we had to give it a miss and carry on to Nuka Hiva in the Marquesses two days sail away.
    Nuka Hiva is a pretty place at the head of a lagoon and at the foot of huge mountain ranges. At the top of the mountains are some ancient villages from a race of people who disappeared hundreds of years before the Polynesians arrived 1000 years ago, They had huge stones al made to measure in decending order to make horizontal platforms on the side of the mountains. Some weighed in at over two tons. No one knows how they built them 4,000 years ago. They also carved many statues of Tikis, an ancient god of theirs. They were cannibals and ate the women of the next village including babies, Statues had been carved showing this. A very interesting place. Cannibals are still on the island, Recently a German sailor went ashore from his yacht and was killed and eaten after being cooked on a fire.
    We sailed that evening and then it was seven leisurely days at sea bound for San Diego again, arriving on Sunday 15 March after a 30 day voyage.
    We had booked into the Wyndham Hotel which is directly facing the cruise terminal, so very handy, just pulled our cases across the road and into the hotel where we stayed for five days and four nights.
    The Royal Palace in Honolulu, a painting by the Polynesians of Hawaii, Statue of King Kamekameha, last king of Hawaii, the Falls of Clyde old ex British Sailing ship in Honolulu, The ladies of Fanning Island singing for us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 26th March 2015 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A voyage to the South Seas

More photos,
    The Rose, Waikiki Beach, Hula dancers in Raiatai, Sailor kissing Nurse Statue in Dago, Star of India , ex British sailing ship in Dago,.
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 26th March 2015 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: A voyage to the South Seas

Hi Capt
    Once again you have done yourself proud with your story of your trip!
    It is always so enlightening to read accounts of your escapades, as are others from various Lads here!

You are a lucky person to be one that can afford all these trips,but then its only through your own hard work over the Years that have made that all possible!

My congratulations to you!

Some nice Pics there too mate! Looks and sounds like you really enjoyed yourselves!
    Cheers

PS May be one day I will also get a chance of doing one of those Exotic trips! LOL
    Wonder how my Sister In Law and Friends are enjoying their fling on the QM2.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some observations of the Hawaiians,
    They are not happy that the United States deposed the Queen and Annexed the islands.
    from Wikipedia............

Overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom[edit]
    Queen Liliʻuokalani.
    Main article: Overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom

On January 14, 1893, a group composed of Americans and Europeans formed a Committee of Safety seeking to overthrow the Hawaiian Kingdom, depose the Queen, and seek annexation to the United States. As the coup d'état was unfolding on January 17 the Committee of Safety expressed concern for the safety and property of American citizens. In response, United States Government Minister John L. Stevens summoned a company of US Marines from the USS Boston and two companies of U.S. Navy sailors to take up positions at the U.S. Legation, Consulate, and Arion Hall. On the afternoon of January 16, 1893, 162 sailors and U.S. Marines aboard the USS Boston in Honolulu Harbor came ashore under orders of neutrality. Historian William Russ has noted that the presence of these troops, ostensibly to enforce neutrality and prevent violence, effectively made it impossible for the monarchy to protect itself.[10]

The actual overthrow was surprisingly smooth. Under orders of the queen, half a dozen police men were sent to I'olani palace to arrest any members from the Committee of Safety who tried to enter the palace. After a shooting broke out close to the palace, some police men went to the scene. One of the police men was shot, and had to be carried by the remaining palace guards. This left the palace open to the Committee of Safety. With almost no audience except for some government clerks, the Committee of Safety signed a document that ended the Hawaiian monarchy. Lili'uokalani would not find out until the next day.

The Queen was deposed on January 17, 1893, and temporarily relinquished her throne to "the superior military forces of the United States".[11][page needed] She had hoped the United States, like Great Britain earlier in Hawaiian history, would restore Hawaii's sovereignty to the rightful holder.

Queen Liliʻuokalani issued the following statement yielding her authority to the United States Government rather than to the Provisional Government:

I, Liliʻuokalani, by the Grace of God and under the constitution of the Hawaiian Kingdom, Queen, do hereby solemnly protest against any and all acts done against myself and the constitutional government of the Hawaiian Kingdom by certain persons claiming to have established a Provisional Government of and for this Kingdom. That I yield to the superior force of the United States of America, whose Minister Plenipotentiary, His Excellency John L Stevens, has caused United States troops to be landed at Honolulu and declared that he would support the said Provisional Government. Now, to avoid any collision of armed forces and perhaps loss of life, I do, under this protest, and impelled by said forces, yield my authority until such time as the Government of the United States shall, upon the facts being presented to it, undo the action of its representative and reinstate me in the authority which I claim as the constitutional sovereign of the Hawaiian Islands.

— Queen Liliʻuokalani, Jan 17, 1893[12]

A provisional government, composed of European and American businessmen, was then instituted until annexation with the United States could be achieved. On February 1, 1893, the US Minister (ambassador) to Hawaii proclaimed Hawaii a protectorate of the United States.

Queen Liliʻuokalani Monument, Honolulu
    The administration of Grover Cleveland commissioned the Blount Report, and based on its findings, concluded that the overthrow of Liliʻuokalani was illegal, and that U.S. Minister Stevens and American military troops had acted inappropriately in support of those who carried out the overthrow. On November 16, 1893, Cleveland proposed to return the throne back to her if she granted amnesty to everyone responsible. She initially refused, and it was controversially reported that she said she would have them beheaded — she denied that accusation, but admitted that she intended them to suffer the punishment of banishment.[13] With this development, then-President Grover Cleveland sent the issue to the United States Congress. She later changed her position on the issue of punishment for the conspirators, and on December 18, 1893 US Minister Willis demanded her reinstatement by the Provisional Government. The Provisional Government refused. Congress responded to Cleveland's referral with a US Senate investigation that resulted in the Morgan Report on February 26, 1894. The Morgan Report found all parties (including Minister Stevens), with the exception of the queen, "not guilty" from any responsibility for the overthrow.[14] The accuracy and impartiality of both the Blount and Morgan reports have been questioned by partisans on both sides of the historical debate over the events of 1893.[10][15][16][17][18]

On July 4, 1894, the Republic of Hawaiʻi was proclaimed and Sanford B. Dole, one of the first people who originally called on the institution of the monarchy to be abolished, became President. The Republic of Hawaiʻi was recognized by the United States government as a protectorate, although Walter Q. Gresham, Cleveland's Secretary of State, remained antagonistic towards the new government.[19]

Forced removal[edit]

Liliʻuokalani was arrested on January 16, 1895, several days after the failed 1895 Counter-Revolution in Hawaii led by Robert William Wilcox, when firearms were found at the base of Diamond Head Crater. She denied any knowledge at her trial, defended by former attorney general Paul Neumann. She was sentenced to five years of hard labor in prison by a military tribunal and fined $5,000, but the sentence was commuted to imprisonment in an upstairs bedroom of ʻIolani Palace, where she composed songs including The Queen's Prayer (Ke Aloha o Ka Haku) and began work on her memoirs.

During her imprisonment, she abdicated her throne in return for the release (and commutation of the death sentences) of her jailed supporters, including Minister Joseph Nawahi, Prince Kawananakoa, Robert Wilcox, and Prince Jonah Kuhio.[citation needed]
    I was talking to a prominent Hawaiian
    he told me that China has offered the Hawaiians arms and assistance to break away from the USA.
    Hawaiians are now only about 18% of the population, the rest made up of immigrants from China and Japan and the mainland USA. So they feel very threatened in what used to be their ancestral homeland.
    The land was theirs to farm, most is now owned by big US Companies like DOLE. and most again by the US Military who use it for War Games, with lots of dangerous ammunition lying about. So the Polynesian Hawaiian is not happy with the situation.
    . Again in French Polynesia that was Annexed by France, the Society Islands, New Caledonia Islands and Marquesses in 1842, They do not like the French, they want independence but cannot have it. France has made them a Province of France , part of France, so therefore they are not a colony, They are now French. They are very heavily Taxed, Stan told me that over 50% of his wages go in Tax also VAT, and the money goes to France, Tahiti is now a very expensive place to live and visit because of French Taxation.
    The Polynesians are a lovely race of people, very generous and kind, they love music and flowers, but are being treated very badly by two nations. When France Annexed Polynesia the language was English and Polynesian. France banned the English Language and imposed French on them, Everyone still speaks English.
    Maitai,
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 26th March 2015 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon.
    It is not too expensive,
    If I am away for example , for ten weeks, then we have ten weeks Pension in the bank. ex.£400 a week =£4,000
    We save on our grocery bills, all fed on ship, Ten weeks at around £80 a week, =£800
    Ten weeks with no petrol to buy for the car which is TEN years old.. = £500
    I used to smoke, at todays price of £8 a packet a day that is £56 a week times ten saved.=£560
    I very rarely drink, used to spend about £50 a week on booze so times ten. =£500.
    so just on that I have saved for a ten week trip. ..........£6,360

That is just an example of how to do it. I am 80 in a few weeks , What am I saving up for. My friends are dying, Four now in the last eleven weeks. Am I going to my grave without anymore adventures?? Who will get my money, My sons. they do not need it.
    My brother is 84 and in a Care home for two years with Dementia , they are taking thousands of pounds off him to pay for his keep.
    Am I saving up for those Leeches??
    No Way.
    Get your money spent. Bad things happen tomorrow. and will stop you from enjoying your money..
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good way to think and do Capt,and yes I agree with all your sentiments !
    However it is not that we cannot actually do something like that,it is the plain fact that as you know Irene is still working full time,and she wont give in as yet! I am sitting here each day with the hope that one day she will walk in that Door and say "Well Darling I have had enough" that will be the beginning of a good Holiday believe me!

We do have a bit of spare cash,and that explanation of yours makes good sense,i will for sure keep that in mind when the days arrive@!

Then of course we have to think about the Animals too! Oh Dear!! But that can be sorted I am sure! A bit costly for Kennels for say 10 Weeks,and I don't personally like the Dog Kennels any longer,as we had one bad experience quite some time ago!
    But there are the Kids I am sure we will work something out!

The time will hopefully come before its all too late!
    At this stage we are Blessed with fairly good Health ,so all I can say is I hope that it lasts quite a bit longer!

Cheers mate and enjoy your life,as is said who knows what around the next corner!
    Cheers

Brenda in her Cabin and on the OFF! LOL
    Does not look too big for the QM2 but I suppose its a sort of budget Cabin Inner Berth!

Capture bRENDA cABIN ON qm2.JPG
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian your approach to this matter is the correct and only one to take. Spend the money while you may and enjoy life to the full. The tell me you can be dead for a long time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another observation................
    . I asked the Matre`D about his voyage time. he did 6 months on and two months off, but without pay.
    I asked the table waiters, They do 11 months on and three months off without pay,
    They are paid, according to seniority, from 1700 to 2200 dollars a month. for an 11 Hour day
    They are Indonesians, my two came from Bali, they have a crew bar and beer is 50 cents a can, about 34 pence.
    The Philipinos also do 11 months on and three months off without pay.
    So over a period of 14 months, on an average wage of $2000 a month for 11 month trip,that would equal $1728 a month or £1152 a month over the 14 month period. Or £268 a week.
    Brian
    Not bad wages for Indonesia.

10. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Trader, Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Brian, you're the first to admit you were shat upon from a great height. Your repartee to Anne was classic and pales the other "Lucky elephants don't fly".

I enjoyed travelling along with you having been so familiar with many of those astonishingly beautiful and gentle but yet also so brutal isolated dots in the vast Pacific Ocean and the people that live on them. At our age we can see how much change has occurred before and in our comparatively short lifetime. Gunboats colonised the weak, now stealth has colonised the strong.

I wholeheartedly agree with your and John #7 views on grasping every opportunity to enjoy the rewards of your life's endeavours. After leaving the Merchant Navy and meeting Margaret 59 years ago, then on our honeymoon we drove our ute from Sydney to Cairns and two years later were off to Fiji on a Qantas Super Constellation and for thirty years sailed, road and railed and flew to as many places we could to and from places of my employment. It cost a lot but we own our home and are still in love. That's life, that's living.

Cheers old mate,
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

12. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good on you Brian, There are no pockets in shrouds. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast