Thread: A voyage to the South Seas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A voyage to the South Seas

http://www.radio1.pf/cms/wp-content/...le-feu-DR4.jpg
    >
    > Hi you both, e aha to orua huru? Maitai?
    > Only in Tahiti you can see this "walk on the fire". The public is
    > allowed or invited to participate.
    > Plenty of european visitors did it this year.
    > Why not you, one day?
    > So friendly;
    >
    > Stanley and Eline

To you both to. Manuia!!!(cheers)
    Stanley and Eline

Just got this email off my friend Stanley in Tahiti.
    He wants me to go and walk in the fire, I will do this, no probs, Next time I go to Tahiti.
    Has anyone else ever done Fire Walking? or seen it done.?

Here is the picture from the Link..
    Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 27th March 2015 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    http://www.radio1.pf/cms/wp-content/...le-feu-DR4.jpg
    >
    > Hi you both, e aha to orua huru? Maitai?
    > Only in Tahiti you can see this "walk on the fire". The public is
    > allowed or invited to participate.
    > Plenty of european visitors did it this year.
    > Why not you, one day?
    > So friendly;
    >
    > Stanley and Eline

To you both to. Manuia!!!(cheers)
    Stanley and Eline

He wants me to go and walk in the fire, I will do this, no probs, Next time I go to Tahiti.

Here is the picture from the Link..
    Cheers
    Brian
    OH YES Brian, Mostly on a Friday night out with the lads at a dart match....................Walked on fire down my hall to avoid the dragon many times at 3am in the morning,
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great Britain[edit] wikipedia

Main article: Paulet Affair (1843)

On February 10, 1843, Lord George Paulet on the Royal Navy warship HMS Carysfort entered Honolulu Harbor and demanded that King Kamehameha III cede the Hawaiian Islands to the British Crown. Under the guns of the frigate, Kamehameha stepped down under protest.[4] Kamehameha III surrendered to Paulet on February 25,

Where are you, chiefs, people, and commons from my ancestors, and people from foreign lands?'Hear ye! I make known to you that I am in perplexity by reason of difficulties into which I have been brought without cause, therefore I have given away the life of our land. Hear ye! but my rule over you, my people, and your privileges will continue, for I have hope that the life of the land will be restored when my conduct is justified.Done at Honolulu, Oahu, this 25th day of February, 1843.Kamehameha III.Kekauluohi.[5]
    Gerrit P. Judd, a missionary who had become the Minister of Finance, secretly sent envoys to the United States, France and Britain, to protest Paulet's actions.[6]

The protest was forwarded to Rear Admiral Richard Darton Thomas, Paulet's commanding officer, who arrived at Honolulu harbor on July 26, 1843 on HMS Dublin. Thomas repudiated Paulet's actions, and on July 31, 1843, restored the Hawaiian government. In his restoration speech, Kamehameha declared "Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i ka pono", the motto of the future State of Hawaii translated as "The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness."

On his third voyage into the Pacific, the great explorer Captain James Cook, British commander of HMS Resolution and HMS Discovery, on January 18, 1778 found Oahu and Kauai. He was thought of by the Hawaiians as the reincarnation of Lono, one of their principal gods. He named Hawaii the Sandwich Islands in honor of the Earl of Sandwich. He returned to Hawaii a year later and dropped anchor in Kealakekua Bay on the Big Island. Captain Cook was slain here on ebruary 13, 1779 chasing after a stolen rowboat. Because of European contact, contagious diseases such as cholera, measles and gonorrhea, decimated the Hawaiian population. The population was estimated at between 250,000 to 1 million when Captain Cook sailed into Kealakakua in 1779. By 1848 Hawaiians numbered 88,000.

(They gave the Europeans a luau and the Hawaiians got a dose of the clap...thanks very much!)

Cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rodney,
    Things did improve between the British and the Hawaiians and the Royal family still ruled, The Hawaiian Royal Family were frequent visitors to the Palace in London to see Queen Victoria and the Duke of Edinburgh who was also a frequent visitor to Honolulu,
    It was reported that the Duke was amazed that the Royal Palace in Honolulu had electric lights and Buckingham Palace still had gas lamps.
    The Americans didn't like the closeness of the two and the influence the Brits had in The Pacific. So that is why they annexed Hawaii illegally by force and deposed the Queen and the Royal family.
    The Americans then took over the land for sugar, big corporations moved in, they imported Chinese and Japanese labour to work the sugar cane, The Sacred Lands were taken over, land that was owned by the Hawaiian peoples since time began were taken off them by the big Corporations, More and more immigration and the Hawaiians were being pushed out of their own land.
    Now today Polynesian Hawaiians are only around 18%, the rest are from the Chinese, Japanese and US mainland. They feel Very Angry over this, That is why they fly the British Union Flag on the State Flag. They tell me they would rather be in the British Commonwealth than with the USA. Their lands are now polluted by the Big Chemical Companies, Monsanto, Dow and many others, The US Military are taking up more and more land now for their Military Training. Water is now a big problem more water is being used for construction and less available for every day life, drinking and washing.
    Their food is contaminated by chemicals and GM, One man said to me. "We have the right to bear arms, BUT We do not have the Right to know what we are eating." The food companies will not say what is in their food. 90% of food in Hawaii now has to be imported. Under sea Mining has polluted the seas around Hawaii and this is affecting the fish that they eat,
    They were protesting about Kahea, a Sacred Volcano. The US has taken over the Sacred mountain and is building the biggest Observatory in the world, on top of the Sacred land. The Hawaiians Culture is being wiped out. They are very very angry that now the immigration and the US way has taken them over, they have lost the nation.
    There is a BIG Movement for a breakaway from the US, China has even offered to back them with arms if necessary..
    Hawaii is not the Hawaii of Elvis Presley and Blue Hawaii, it is a indigenous peoples who are being crushed by Big Brother Washington and Big Business Corporations.
    They are not happy at all.
    Rodney, get to know the Hawaiian people, they are a lovely race of people, they have a lovely culture that is being destroyed by `Foreigners`. I have been going for years and have many friends there, they tell me a lot.
    Listen to the Hawaiians not Wikipedia,
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 27th March 2015 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Captain Kong;198072]http://www.radio1.pf/cms/wp-content/...le-feu-DR4.jpg
    Brian, in fiji both the Fijians (especially on the Island of Beqa (Bengga)) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAmtVDucmm8 and the Fiji Indians around the main islands of Viti Levu and Vanua Levu do fire walking. In the picture from Stanley in Tahiti the fire is still flaming whereas the flaming remnants around the smooth scorching rocks are, from my observations, brushed out. Maybe the Fijians in the 500 odd years that they were perfecting the art on Beqa had occasion where the flame on feet was bearable but higher it wrecked'm. As for the Incommers it probably singed their dhotis.
    Richard
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 28th March 2015 at 12:36 PM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

6. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Richard, very interesting.
    I feel that I must try it next time I go to Tahiti. .Just another challenge in life.
    Cheers
    Brian

8. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the Burial ground of King Kamehameha II and his Queen Kamamalu, who died in England, in the grounds of the Royal Palace.
    Statue of the King. They were frequent visitors to England and also some more of the Royal family died in England from illness.
    KAPU, =Keep out.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 28th March 2015 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: A voyage to the South Seas

Captain, I'm a bit confused by your closing sentence on post #14 directed at me.

Quote.

Listen to the Hawaiians not Wikipedia,
    Cheers
    Brian

It sounds rather harsh to me, especially after your opening remarks stating where you got your information from on your post #4.

Quote:

Some observations of the Hawaiians,
    They are not happy that the United States deposed the Queen and Annexed the islands.
    from Wikipedia............

Overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom[edit]
    Queen Liliʻuokalani.
    Main article: Overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom

I answered you with a bit of tongue in cheek, quoting Wikipedia, because you had used them as your source of information and skipped over or missed the part I posted on my post # 13.

My previous comments on Hawaii and the flag were from The Encyclopedia Britannica.

I have also been to Hawaii numerous times. My first time was back in 1970. I spent two weeks in a hotel in Kona and I too got to know the hotel staff very well—the executive chef was a friend of mine and married to a pure Hawaiian. Additionally on our many trips to Australia, Hawaii was our stop for a few days to break up the long journey. In all my times there and speaking to the locals, separation from the US or connection to the UK never came up, it was just Americans speaking to Americans and having a good time.

Lets just agree to disagree, it will just get boring going from one source to another and posting repetitions.

Cheers, Rodney

11. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong, Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

After Richards #15 fire walking post there is an excellent clip called "The Pacific Way Story" afterwards, along with others, all most informative

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rodney,
    thanks for that. There are always two sides to every story, and the Hawaiian history of its Kings , Queens and the annexation is also a very interesting story.
    I am a Tax payer in the USA so I think it does give me a little licence to criticise the history of the people I pay Tax to.

It was this time I was there in February, the Polynesian Hawaiian people were getting a little agitated in a way I have not seen before.
    regarding more of their ancestral and sacred lands being taken over by the US Government for Military purposes and the chemical pollution of their land. After listening to them , I had to agree with them.
    End of.
    Cheers
    Brian.

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast