Thread: another cruise ship accident

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default another cruise ship accident

Three people have died in a fire on board a cruise liner in St Lucia. Photograph: Sylvain Grandadam/Getty Images Associated Press in San Juan
    Thursday 11 December 2014 23.15 EST

A crew member and two contractors died when a fire broke out on board a luxury cruise ship docked at the eastern Caribbean island of St Lucia, officials said.
    The 656 passengers on the Oceania Insignia were evacuated safely and the remainder of the cruise was cancelled, Oceania Cruises said. A crew member was in hospital, said Jason Lasecki, spokesman for the company.
    The fire, which began in the engine room, was contained. The US National Transportation Safety Board said it was sending officials to help with the investigation, which was being led by the Marshall Islands where the ship is registered.
    The Insignia had departed San Juan, Puerto Rico, on Sunday for a 10-day cruise and was scheduled to arrive in Miami on 17 December.

The ship was built in 1998 and refurbished this year. It rejoined the Oceania fleet in May after operating as a charter for two years, according to Oceania. The Insignia has 400 crew members and its officers and staff are European.
    “We are deeply saddened by the tragic events that occurred this morning on Insignia,” said Lasecki, adding that passengers would be fully refunded and charter flights had been arranged to take them to Miami, as well as accommodation until they could be flown to their cities of origin. Oceania’s president and other officials were in St Lucia.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: another cruise ship accident

I suppose by the law of averages there is always going to be occurrences on the cruise ships, just by the sheer number of such vessels afloat these days. It would not be my cup of tea having to abandon some of these vessels with the sheer number of elderly passengers some carry. The younger ones panicing and the older ones not being able to move fast. I saw 1 case of panic and it could of cost many their lives. Anyone of us could do it given the right circumstances. Everyone reacts differently in life threatening positions. When I read about the gloss put on the vessel which steamed towards the German warship during the war, where the capt. got the VC. I think of the crew above and below decks who had no choice but to remain at their stations not knowing the story of what was happening and had no choice, these are the true heroes. To stay at ones post in dire circumstances is extremely hard to do. Cheers JS

3. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: another cruise ship accident

The number of events are no doubt in relation to the number of ships and has always been that way. One good point, if such a thing can be considered, the ship was in port. Fire at sea is far worse.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller