Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cruise Ships

This sounds interesting take a look Click on link.

peel ports liverpool 2
    http://www.liverpool2.com/video?r=L2...VjdGlvbnMubXA0
    Last edited by Charlie Hannah; 12th March 2014 at 02:23 AM.

gray_marian Guest

The screen is blank Charlie, probably me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Barron View Post
    I do agree Jim the cruise ships look like banana boxes .While we on about cruise ships I was thinking about taking a cruise might meet up with a very rich widow AH AH
    Lou you would be surprized at the number of them on some of the ships. Usualy travel in pairs so you could maybe get a pick or two.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    All three Queens, Mary2, Victoria and Elizabeth will be in Liverpool next year, May 2015. all together on the same day, It is a Cunard anniversary.
    Cheers
    Brian
    I wonder if they were the same three Queens of that name on one voyage with UCL?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    I was on the RMS Pendennis Castle , we had 300 queens in southampton in 1970
    300, why did you sail short handed??
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    The screen is blank Charlie, probably me
    Mine's ok miss-maybe the Scouse Press is persona non grata north of the border.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    I wonder if they were the same three Queens of that name on one voyage with UCL?
    If they are John, they'll need a few barnacles scraped off to become halfway serviceable.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hannah View Post
    This sounds interesting take a look Click on link.

peel ports liverpool 2
    http://www.liverpool2.com/video?r=L2...VjdGlvbnMubXA0
    Hi Charlie thanks for that very interesting.I live right opposite the base and upto now I have not heard any extra noise from there although I believe the pile driving has started and maybe finished.Unless they move most of the boxes by way of the river there is going to be a big problem here with the infrastructure,these roads were'nt built to take these container wagons it's bad enough now with the tonnage that we have.I think they mentioned the motorway network on the vid,what they failed to mention is joining the motorway up in Netherton from Seaforth.They do also have a rail link-up on the base of coarse.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at the Peel Ports video for the new deep water container terminal between Seaforth and Gladstone lock reminds me of a problem mooted by a number of Liverpool pilots that voiced when we were going up to Eastham or into Birkenhead and that was, what would all that infill do to the deep water channel for tankers going up to Tranmere and also the effect on the currents off the Gladstone lock entrance where the pilots stem the current in order to get the ships into the lock. Their worry was that the deep water cannel would have to be shifted over towards the Wirral side of the Mersey which would need large amounts of dredging along with re-alignment of the barrier wall underwater at most state of the tide) along the section from Crosby? inwards. Also they were worried about how the new terminal would affect the currents on the bends just up river from seaforth. There was already a noticeable shift in the currents resulting from all the wind farm constructions. I think they have done computer modelling and run it through the simulator at John Moores univeristy but at least one senior pilot (the ACL guy) was a bit wary of the results obtained from the simulator. Once completed it will be very interesting to see if the computer modelling does actually compare with the actual conditions experienced. The other problem they envisaged was how often would the cranes have to stop work in high winds (40knots plus) as there is going to be very little shelter from gales from the SW especially in that area.
    As an aside one of the main assets of Peel Ports is the Manchester Ships Canal. When Peel Ports brought out the MSC Company they inherited all that swath of land either side of the canal right into the centre of Manchester which was worth a fortune.
    Another point was that they were also trying to combine the Liverpool Pilotage with the MSC Pilots into one pilotage so that pilots could take ships from the Bar all the way up to Manchester Spillers wharf). The biggest complaint against this came from the Liverpool pilots who feared that there high salaries (amongst the highest in the U.K.) and there pension pot, together with their relatively easy working schedule, would be diluted by having to take over the MSC pilots funding etc.
    Peel ports are not universally liked in many of the ports that they own as they are considered by many to be asset strippers
    but at Least in the case of Liverpool they do appear to be putting large sums of investment into the port though it will be interesting to see what happens to the remaining working docks inside the locks once the new container terminal is up and running. Will the Irish berths and the veg. oil, scrap and coal berths still be operating or will they get closed down in favour of more land for container storage?
    rgds
    JA

JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are anouncments on local radio this morning to avoid the dock area if possible, because they have two cruise ships docking at the same or near time, roads will be chocker, taxis flying about etc, this plus the normal container lorries, a nightmare. With Liverpool winning the latest battle for cruise terminals, hope you roads can cope better than Southampton can, KT

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast