Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: CARNIVAL TRIUMPH DISABLED BY FIRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whenever you get these Cruise ships on fire the electrical systems seem so fragile , this one according to US Coastguard was caused by a fuel leak . If these are low headroom engine rooms , like the old Ro-Ro ferries it will make the fire quick to spread and hard to fight . I just wonder how many of these crewmen are fire fighting trained , with Sealink despite its British Rail Heritage , I think a good percentage of the guys had fire fighting and first aid training , it admittedly passed away a few quiet days in winter when there wa sa reduced service , but it is good to know the people around you have some idea what to do . When these things go out of power , I also cannot understand why the sewage plant cannot connect to the emergency generator . There must be overboard pumps , vacuum pumps and water pumps that could be changed to be dual supplied in emergencies . Maybe , like Mr Ismay , the owners don't think that the circumstances will arise
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Engineers

Rob, I was mate on an ore carrier and had a flooded hold I couldnt pump out. We either didnt have a salvage pump or it was in pieces cant remember now. My mate the 3rd. Engineer said no problem I'll get it out for you. In the early hours of the morning he disconnected a small mega fresh water pump from in the Engine Room rigged up a salvage pump and had the hold dry in 5 hours, so could then clear all the strums etc. If same thing happened in my latter days at sea we would probably have been blowing for shore help. The old days of ships as self sufficient worlds on their own were rapidly disappearing when I retired. I know from other experiences that good engineers were worth there weight in gold, both to the shipowner and the ship. As regards fire fighting most seamen were taught how to contain a fire, however if in port the first thing after pushing the alarm button would be to call the fire brigade as they have the expertise and tools more so than what we did. Regards John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the Mc Andrews Palacio in early 62, she was a fairly new ship then, and the first one that i had come across with the modern tanks that cleaned the waste, we had to only use the dhobi powder they sold on board, otherwise it killed the bacteria in the tanks, no idea now of what the system was called, but was one of the few ships you were able to use the ships toilets in London docks. As to fire fighting in those days,bit of a joke, all we had was the smoke hoods, with the metal label attached, cannot remember the exact signals, 2 pulls more air etc. Thankfully i never had to use them in anger. Did anyone have to use them in a fire? KT

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Honour maritime tradition:

Carnival says policy is to ‘honor maritime tradition that holds that the duty to render assistance at sea to those in need is a universal obligation of the entire maritime community.’

Ungrateful' Carnival REFUSES to reimburse taxpayers nearly $800K for rescuing of disabled ship after 'cruise from Hell'

Carnival Corp cited maritime tradition that everyone are expected to help vessels in trouble without expecting to get paid

Read more:
    'Ungrateful' Carnival REFUSES to reimburse taxpayers nearly $800K for rescuing of disabled ship after 'cruise from Hell' | Mail Online

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3