Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FLAGGED OFF

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default If remember correctly

Have Been on various ships registered Nassau Bahamas, same as Gibralter flying the red ensign with appropriate insignia in corner of flag. Never really looked at what was in corner. The Australian flag as all know has the Southern Cross. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Remiss

I may be a bit remiss in my memory re. ensigns. I applaud however all those who have fought for the retention of the Red Ensign. Most on this web will have memorys of the 50"s and 60"s. Where there was still a semblance of flag etiquette. i.e. Pilot Jacks flown, Courtesy flags on the starboard yardarm, next port of call on the port Yardarm, Blue Peter (P Flag) flown prior to sailing, dipping the ensign to warships. All ships flew their National ensign entering or leaving port or were fined. Flags always down at sunset, usually up at 0800 hrs. All this is a thing of the past, except on passenger vessels where a good example should be set to fare paying passengers to impress them how it should be and was at one time. I have served on over 90 vessels during my time at sea so my memory of some may be slightly lacking. Those flags I have sailed under apart from British was Panamanian, Liberian, Nassau Bahamas, Gibralter, USA, Cayman Islands, and probably a few more I cant remember what flag they came under. Re. Ensigns, I have recently posted a picture of the Seaforth Clansman for someone who was looking for, you will probably note she is flying the Blue Ensign. She was a civilian ship manned by a Merchant Navy crew, there was no one among us held a position in the RNR. The Blue ensign also had something in the corner of the flag and was the only flag of its type as far as I know. It must have been constructed under warrant from the Admiralty. As regards flags already mentioned you would be hard pushed to find vessels at sea nowadays applying the proper etiquette apart from I would imagine passenger vessels, who also have the crew to do, if they know that is the proper manner to do it. Another thing sadly lost in so called modern times. John Sabourn
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th January 2013 at 01:07 AM.

Tony Morcom Guest

Respect for the traditions of the sea is sadly becoming a distant memory John, only kept alive by sites such as this, it seems.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default P.S. post 12

Also Malaysian, Russian, and of course Australian. Probably still others cant at moment remember. In 1998 the Russian vessel still adhered to proper Flag etiquette, good for them. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    John, the flag of the Bahamas although a red ensign, is not for arguments sake the Red Ensign of the UK. Is the national flag of the Bahamas, and like others has a badge in the corner of the flag differentiating it from the UK flag as such. Thus excempting it from various rules and regulations which used to exist, whether they do or not now wouldnt know. Regards John Sabourn
    You are right John, all the islands of the group have similar. But the Red Ensign of the BMN is allowed to be flown as the island group is a British Protectorate. The flag in question was the Red Ensign, not an island flag.
    There are a number of cruise companies that fly the Red Ensign with the island logo in one corner, Royal Caribbean is one I have seen.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 15th January 2013 at 04:53 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Flags

Must be a put up job. Gibralter is also a British Protecterate but has the insignia in corner ( unless my memory has completely gone) smell the political whiff of underhandedness of appeasement and alteration of certain regularities. Something like the excuse for marriage ceremonies. Cheers John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Must be a put up job. Gibralter is also a British Protecterate but has the insignia in corner ( unless my memory has completely gone) smell the political whiff of underhandedness of appeasement and alteration of certain regularities. Something like the excuse for marriage ceremonies. Cheers John Sabourn.
    Agreed John, but does Gib have any ships registered there?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

328.jpg

This is a photo I took of the flag the second day it was in the cleaning locker.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gib.

Sure does John. I was on one. John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Flagged off

In my time at sea, to fly the Blue Ensign without insignias in the fly, the vessel had to have on board at least five members of the RNR or RNVR or a combination there-of. Apprentices were volunteered by the company as enroled in the RNVR towards that aim of achieving the required five.

Other services that flew the Blue Ensign were Customs and Excise (as they do today) with an insignia in the fly. Also commercial towing companies who were contracted to handle RN ships as in Portsmouth and Plymouth (no doubt other ports as well) were allowed to fly the Blue Ensign, some with an insignia and some without, presumably dependent upon how they were manned.

As always I stand to be corrected

Ivan

11. Thanks Ronald Maben thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast