Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cruise ships and vomiting bugs

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default cruise ships and vomiting bugs

Another outbreak of the vomiting bug, on a P and O Ship going from Southampton to the Continent, any thoughts what causes this, ? could it be the Sewage Systems, certainly seems to favour Cruise Ships, getting more frequent, never hear of this happening on the old style ships. must be a fault in design or management.
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure it is more prevalent nowadays due to this strange habit of giving a hug and a nibble to every Tom, Dick, and Harry you come across. People can approach me with their hand out for a shake but if I detect the slightest intent on their part to move in for a hug they receive two words, the second being Off!!

Regards
    Calvin

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well i would not have thought of that, it certainly makes sense, have never felt comfortable with that habit myself, that would spread the bug, but what causes it, and only seems to be on Cruise Ships.
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One person with bug meets ten new people, big hugs. They in turn hug ten people each. They etc etc. Cruise ships, hotels, whatever.

Regards
    Calvin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is called Novo Virus.
    It is caused by lack of personal hygene by passengers and crew who handle food.
    People Sneeze into their hands, they cough into their hands, they slide their hands down the hand rails on stairs and spread the germs, bacteria, that way, Never touch hand rails, when going into the Dining rooms there is a gel, sometimes the Matre D stands there and squirts it into your hands on entering the dining room.
    I was on QE2 on one trip. I went into the toilets near the Caronia Dining Room, there was a terrible stink of someone having a good crap. then a Waiter came out of a stall and then went straight into the Dining Room, without washing his hands, and started to wait on a table. I told the Matre D and he had the waiter removed immediately, never saw him in the Dining Room again.
    On the Queen Elizabeth this year when I went to Oz, I saw the Waiter at another table sneeze into four coffee cups, sprayed right into them, then served the coffee to the people on his table. also two Eastern europeans in the Self Service restaraunt, both sneezed over the food on display and never covered up. sprayed all over.
    I wrote to Cunard abot it when I returned.
    They are the principle causes of Novo Viruses that cause sickness, vomiting and diarhea.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with you regarding hygiene, the number of people that I have seen using the toilets and failing to wash their hands is unbelievable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After the time I spent at sea in the food industry , i learned an awful lot about the bugs of life , how many times do people not wash hands after going to the toilet , or sneeze into their hands , cups , plates , food etc. . I walk away from Costa Coffee , not the Cruise Line of a similar name , prone to hitting the quay harder than a fireman off a dry ship and Starbollocks when the server picks up cups with their fingers inside , it happens a lot , I walk off , go somewhere else , or if I have paid in advance I protest , quietly , then louder , then VERY loud , We were forced to do the basic hygiene certificate ., that opens your eyes , I expect that as a minimum for anyone serving food , regardless of their origins , Madras , Manilla , or Manchester
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default And you wonder why bugs are spreading?

You don't even have to go to a college to get your hygiene certificates, £12 and you're home and dry.

Food Hygiene Certificate - Food Hygiene Course Level 2

When you look at the companies who accept this as a bona fide qualification you have to wonder.

Regards
    Calvin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We paid a lot more than that twenty years ago , and the say they can do that course in two hours , we took 5 night classes of two hours each , they seem to offer the scheme under several companies similar prices , some other companies take eight to ten hours and charge £65 , not £12 , so despite the assurances , I am suspicious of the content of te £12 course
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went home to the UK in 1990 to buy a country pub. Before doing so I signed on for a management course with Courage. The training re hygiene was stringent. When I actually went into the field to do work experience I was appalled at the lack of obedience to the training manual both behind the bar and in the kitchen. I dare say it's the same on these cruise ships.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast