Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cost of cruises

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default cost of cruises

It was announced on the local news tonight that the latest European directive with regard to fuel oil, is that the sulphur content has to be reduced from approx 1% down to .01 %, making it almost to the standard of diesel oil. The result of this is that the cost to shipping will rise considerably, ie cruising for example. Not good news for any of us, as imports will rise, ferry fares will rise etc. So get your cruises booked now!!! KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Done it off at the end of January.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like a bit of a Phurphy to me. Here in Oz up until a few years ago many cars would not be imported as we still had sulphur in the fuels. Then all fuels became sulphur free so more cars came in. I was informed by Land Rover that they could import more as our fuel now coplies to EU standards. As most of the cruise ships now use diesel anyway I find it hard to believe this.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can assure you John i am not telling porkies, its of big interest to us here living on the Isle of Wight, ferry fares here are already silly money. The figure they quoted was a reduction of sulphur from 1%, down to .01%. I have no knowledge of the petro chemical industry, just the figures given on the BBC news, admittedly with all the news re BBC that might not carry too much weight KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

North Sea Crude Oil is extremely low sulphor, Arabian Crude Oil is very high Sulphor,
    I guess it all depends on where you buy your crude how expensive it is to remove it.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this is the details of the new legislation on Marine fuels KT

BBC News - Brittany Ferries fears fuel switch could close routes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I can assure you John i am not telling porkies, its of big interest to us here living on the Isle of Wight, ferry fares here are already silly money. The figure they quoted was a reduction of sulphur from 1%, down to .01%. I have no knowledge of the petro chemical industry, just the figures given on the BBC news, admittedly with all the news re BBC that might not carry too much weight KT
    Keith I believe you, it just sounds a bit odd knowing what i do about the fuel on ships.
    Reading the BBc news item it would appear that the ferries use a different system to most cruise ships, most of which use diesel which is now produced sulphur free.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 15th November 2012 at 05:39 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fuel for thought

The NOX emissions have been in for some time now but recentley a new lower limit on emissions has been brought in.
    The emissions control only apply in certain areas. For example on passing Ushant you enter the North European special area and that includes the North Sea and the Blatic. Outside of these areas ships can burn whatever fuel they wish so on Ocean passages most ships will revert to heavy fuel only reverting to marine diesel or gas gas oil 24 hrs. before they enter the special areas.
    Passenger ships these days are invariably driven by diesel electric propulsion and the engine side of the generators can often run on heavy oil. The most probable reason for passenger ships using marine diesel all the time is to avoid any smelly stuff coming out of the funnel and annoying the fare payers.
    The I.O.W. and Cross Channel ferries are operating in a special area at all times so are subjected to the new even lower emissions. It may be that they will have to switch to gas oil instead of marine diesel oil in order to comply with the regs. (there is a difference between gaqs oil and Marine diesel I can assure you). Switching to gas oil will have a price impact as it is more expensive.
    Check out the bunker prices for Rotterdam, there is a difference of $300 betwenn Low sulphur 180 fuel (most diesel generators run on this) with 1% sulphur content and Marine Gas oil which is what they will most likely have to burn to meet the new emissions targets.
    ($600 against %900/ton).
    Forsaw this years ago when IMO brought in the new Wmissions controls. Its not just the cruise and ferry boys who have to pay for it, we all will as any imported goods will have to bear part of the increase in prices for the fuel that the ships bringing those goods to your country are having to pay. Hence the size of the Marco Polo, size in shipping brings economy. The only problem will be for the coastal trade but as they have already adjusted to the 1% sulphur emissions there may not be such a big impact upon them.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default cost of cruises.

Some ports which are densely populated are concerned about the toxic fumes that the locals are having to breathe in.It could happen in many places that the ship would have to close down everything on board and be connected to shoreside electricty.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shore power

Jim B
    regarding switching to shore power when in port. Pretty shure that at least one container port in California is already putting measures in place for this. Any of our USA friends confirm this?
    rgds
    JA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast