Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bit of a Suprise

Tony Morcom Guest

Default Bit of a Suprise

Courtesy of our friends at MSN Money

Updated: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 12:22:58 GMT | By pa.press.net

More Britons taking a cruise trip

The number of Britons taking a cruise holiday this year is expected to have risen, despite the Costa Concordia disaster.

The number of Britons taking a cruise holiday this year is expected to have risen, despite the Costa Concordia disaster.
    As many as 1.72 million Britons are expected to go on ocean cruise voyages in 2012 - a rise on the 1.7 million figure in 2011, the Passenger Shipping Association (PSA) said.
    The association said it had been a challenging year for the industry following the incident in January when the Italian vessel Costa Concordia hit rocks off Italy and went over on its side in a disaster that claimed 32 lives.
    With new ships on the way, the PSA is forecasting Britons will take 1.76 million ocean cruise holidays next year.
    PSA director William Gibbons said: "There is no doubt that the cruise industry faced a unique set of challenges this year.
    "But our UK figures show that the cruise sector has outperformed the rest of the holiday sector.
    "The undiminished investment in new ships and product innovation is also encouraging, with six new cruise ships commissioned in 2012 and six more scheduled for launch in each of the next three years."

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not a nice thought, more monstrosities afloat, if the proposed design of the new SS France takes place anything can happen. each one seems to try too outdo the previous in size and uglyness.
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am off on another cruise at the end of January, on the `STATENDAM,` Holland America.
    A very good company, Dutch Flag all their ships registered in Rotterdam. Officers a mix of Dutch and British.
    This one only has a max of 1200 bloods. quite small.
    I would never ever go on one of those Monster ones, they could be death traps. Been cruising every year since 1995,
    It is the only way to get around to all those distant places that airlines never get to. and far more comfortable.
    I wanted to get to Tahiti to see my old gang of sailors, the flight was £2000 return. Now I an sailing there for £58 a day.
    I did the same trip last year on the ROTTERDAM excellent service, better than Cunards Queens.
    This trip is five weeks from San Diego to three Hawaiian Islands, Lahaina, Hilo, and Honolulu, Christmas Island in Kiribati, Bora Bora, Raitaia, Tahiti, Moorea, Rangiroa, and Nuka Hiva in the Marquessas then back to San Diego for a week in the Holiday Inn facing the Maritme Museum with some good preserved ships, such as the sailing ship, Star of India, ex British.
    Many of those islands do not have any kind of airport, the only way of getting there is by sea.
    Choose your ship wisely and you will enjoy it. It beats the hell out of two weeks in a hotel in Benidorm.
    While I am away I will earn six weeks pension, no food and stores to buy from Asda for six weeks, saving six weeks electric and gas and water bills, no petrol to buy for the car, so take one from the other it is not that expensive.and is affordable and five weeks in the paradise of Polynesia beats staying in Bolton in winter, cold and damp. That is why I do it.
    Cheers Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 6th November 2012 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brian,
    Last year we stayed at the Holiday in, San Diego. On of my favorite cities.
    The owner of our RV park in El Centro has a 60 ft boat there, so we did a six hour harbour cruise[ watched the navy seals training] stayed over night as he is part owner of the hotel.
    The twice we have been to San Diego we took the bus tour from Old Town.
    Very informative and not expensive.
    Recommend you give it a go.
    Can I come with you to Bora Bora!! I always talk about going there when win the Lottery.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Dennis Join the `Statendam` with us on 1 February in San Diego. with Two days in Bora Bora, lovely.
    I like Dago stayed there many times, my son was a Doctor at the Scripps Intitute in La Jolla for four years, So I used to visit him quite a lot there. We stayed at the Holiday Inn facing the cruise terminal and the Star of India last year, getting off the ship we just walked across the road and we were in, A good English type pub there with English Ales on sale.
    We always do the bus tour, very cheap, and end up at the Del Corinado, The hotel that was in the movie `Some Like It Hot.` with Maralyn Monroe and Tony Curtis. All the movie stars like Sinatra etc, went there for their vacations. Good lunch and again quite cheap. and a good beach thrown in. with lots of pretty girls in bikinis, I can dream, including a great climate. Love it.
    A day out on the big Aircraft Carrier, USS, Midway, is always a must. They have more planes on there than we have in our entire airforce.
    A great place to go to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brian,Sounds tempting.
    However Fan, my wife is quite ill.
    Nominally we would be at our place in El Centro, 90 minutes east of San Diego.
    I would have enjoyed driving over to meet you and having a couple of bevvies.
    Such is life.
    Enjoy your trip.Always dream of Bora Bora with me on the beach with a rum in one hand and a dusky maid in the other!!
    Made a mistake the other day and said a 'dusty maiden' Daughter laughed her head of.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Den,
    Sorry to hear of your wife being ill, I hope she recovers soon,
    All the best to her,
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Brian, We hope for the best.
    Every year we have been in El Centro we have talked about taking a cruise out of San Diego, but never found one we really fancied.
    The one you are on we would take for sure.
    If Fran's health improves we still may make it.
    Fingers crossed.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome on board Den
    Hope you make it.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bit of a Suprise

Hi Brian if i was not intending to a visit to the UK i would join you onyour cruise and maybe i could find that island maid to go with my grass skirt all the best wishes for you and your good lady

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast