Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: cruise ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Modern Cruise Ships

I do not wish to upset any of our nembers concerning the modern cruise ships but there are a few problems that even a poor engineer can see.
    The first is the 150 person lifeboat manned and launched by two persons. They have to load the boat, launch and man it. The punters are like parrots on perches, it bowses in loads and launches remotely with no one on the mother vessel. It is a wonder of Life Saving Appliances.

The second is our wonderful marine escape system, a wind assisted marvel. It blows all over the place. We do not want to go into it too deeply.

The third is the lack of deck space for muster and the number off bodies at the muster stations. As anyone knows a fire pollutes the whole ship and you cannot muster under decks.

I also wonder at the stability with water pumped on to the upper passenger decks for automatic firefighting with the resultant poor drainage.

There is a lack of experienced crew, Officers, Sailors and Fireman, the numbers being made up of shop assistants etc.

They do not look nice to me.

regards
    jimmy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Safe would hope so

Hi Jimmy, Dont the B.O.T.check out all ships in the British Merchant navy and give them certificates' for safety and fire? or am I outdated?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default As said!

Hi Jean and all on this post!
    Yes as has i think been said before,these new Cruise Liners may have all the Trimmings etce,but they are no more than Floating Hotels,and dont give out that something special that we all used to know!
    I still say there is no sailing like on the older Ships,be they Passenger or whatever,they gave one a feeling of being at Sea,and that i think is what its all about!
    What use going on something that you cant even feel movement!
    No way Hosay!! haha!
    Well thats my view anyway!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All.

I remember all that motion , as we were the ones to wash the decks down every morning. Yuck.
    As for how do the load the boats up with only 2 lifeboat crew.
    The evacuations and loading is all been worked out on computers. they have all these little dots that represent people. providing they load the boats as per these dots. There are no problems,
    and can you see that happening.
    Geoff
    Last edited by Geoff Anderson; 4th June 2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    KISS.keep it simple stupid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs down Floating Hotels

Hi Tiger Jean, Hi Dr Vernon, Hi Jimmy ,You are right jean the smaller the ship the better? you must have some wonderful memories with your Ken ? I took my mrs on one to bilboa spain on a shopping trip a few years back, the bunks were too small? so we had to make our own entertiment elsewhere, I have been on all the best cruise ships in Southampton all the famous ones. My youngest son is in that business {Accounts} for large travel company he was guest on one a few weeks back, floating hotel s' vernon you said that as well? he calls them, he just likes to play golf, not into ships and sea history like me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I have said in the past I would not go on one of them if it was free passage even. I would not even sign on one as I avoided them like the plague and would have prefered to sign on a tanker of bulk carrier than one of them. Thank you for showing me that I have been right in my feelings of keeping away from them. Thak heaven for the oversized barges that I was on and enjoyed.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have to agree on thius one, most of the modern cruise ships would roll on wet grass. Went to the compulsory life boat drill held for passengers. It was explained about the worning sirens and thatw as it. No indication of hwo to board a lifeboat, not to inflate your life jacket until in the boat, and no indication of who would be in charge of each boat. However in port i got the chance to look at one of them cloae up as they are used as ferriues in some ports. Well equiped with food and water stored away. On enquiring I was informed they must have enough diesel to steam at four knots for 24 hours. After that you are in the hands of your G.P.S. system.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Modern Cruise Ships

Hi All,

A lot of this equipment is SOLAS approved and the UK administration have no input to its approval. These Cruise ships seldom have British flag now.

The lifeboats can steam as described for 24 hours but in any kind of weather with 150 inside they will swim in sick. With three perches the ones on top have the best position. If one of your two crew is not a Deck Officer its the blind leading the blind. When I worked in engine rooms I hardly knew which ocean I was in the Second Mate told us where we were when we had a beer at eight bells.

Another major problem is the treatment and disposal of sewage the days of route it straight over the side are gone. The Engineer does not want to work on sewage treatment, dangerous to health. A lot of infection problems stem from sewage treatment, it is off course done on board. Ashore it is piped away to treatment plants.

Sorry to be so negative.

regards
    jimmy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jimmy.
    Thats something ive never thought of, how do u get rid of all that waste??and do they still carry buckets onboard the lifeboats.Even so its a hell of a lot of bucket fulls.
    If they only Have 2 crew lifeboat men, how do they keep control of 150 persons / Its no wonder that the crew abandon ship and let the passingers fend for themselves, as has happend in the past.
    Geoff
    KISS.keep it simple stupid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After reading all this I would be making sure that I ended up in one of the rafts. Could imagine that it would be a nightmare to be caught in one of those bloody things. Just one question when it is time to ditch the engine is it possible as the new life boats seem to be fully inclosed.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast