Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: cruise ship hits bridge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the Irish Times . Today

THE drunk captain of a ship which collided with a passenger ferry in Northern Ireland, causing more than £1 million of damage, has been jailed for a year.
    Miroslaw Pozniak, 55, admitted crashing his cargo boat while three times over the alcohol limit but said it was because of news of his wife's ill-health, his defence barrister told Downpatrick Crown Court.
    The married father-of-two was at the helm on March 7 when he crashed into a ferry with 100 passengers and crew on board in Belfast Lough after ignoring warnings from coastguards. He had no look-out despite the darkness.
    Judge David Smyth QC told Pozniak: "This sentence is to make it clear that the following of the regulations in relation to alcohol and also in relation to the charting and proper adherence to accepted routes is of vital importance.
    "The ending of your 30-year career and the sentence effectively demonstrate that."
    The defendant dropped his head slightly as sentence was passed.

I had never seen this back in March , but it seems a fair result to me
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default leeuwin

Brian, ref. the above glad you enjoyed your time on same. She used to do voyages up to Indonesia, dont know if she still does. As said only 3 full time crew members the rest volunteers. At the time I was on were always looking for professional watchkeepers as volunteers, may have had to do with the insurance. She is/was run on voluntary contributions and believe some of the mining companies kept her going. With the extra taxes that the present government are going to extort from same companys hope they still contribute to her upkeep. I was on the Malcolm Miller years ago as a visitor in Greenock. She had an all girl crew mostly young women. I had to open by big mouth about something so was forced to go aloft or show I was not scared to do so. A couple of matelots I was with (working for the M.O.D. at time) went up also. They came down the fast way sliding down the forestay, I wasnt game for that and came back the way I went. I always thought it would be harder than what it was to handle a ship under sail, but was pleasantly surprised it wasnt. A lot easier than a ships lifeboat with the standing lug and jib. Best Regards John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John. Yes loved every minute of the trip. I wanted to do it again when I was there 9 weeks ago but unfortunately could not find anyone for details.
    A great experience.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5