Shortly after settling in the UK about 18 years ago I was introduced to the SS Balmoral, a pleasure cruiser that sails coastal routes carrying day-trippers.
While on board I picked up the ships newspaper and saw that they were re-locatiing from Bristol to Glasgow for a Scottish long weekend period. They are licensed to carry a few hundred day trippers on coastal excursions, but only 8 overnight passengers.
I decided to book and paid my £40 plus £5 per meal.
On the appointed day I, along with 400+ trippers, boarded at Clevedon pier and we steamed down the coast to Ilfracombe. Then turn around in Ilfracombe harbour to return to Clevedon.
An announcement was made that due to rough seas at Clevedon the ship would go across to Penarth, in Wales, and the day trippers would be bused back to Clevedon! Many groans, as you can imagine.
Anyway they all got off in the Welsh port and then, with me and three other paying passengers, the Balmoral anchored off shore for the night. Next morning back into Penarth for a load of trippers and we sailed to Barry where the trippers were put on buses back to Penarth and home. Then as dusk was falling we sailed to Milford Haven to refuel and then set out for the Clyde and Glasgow.
Beautiful dawn and sunrise as we hugged the coast, no more than a mile or so off the shore.
Passed within 200 feet of Ilsa Crag rock with millions of gannets circling and finally entered the Clyde for a slow trip up-river before arriving at Anderson wharf at about 6pm.
A wonderful experience, great company and many memories.
Then a horrible 9 hour National Express bus ride leaving Glasgow at midnight and arriving in Bristol in time for breakfast!
If you see it advertised, or check the website I can recommend it as a great way to see the English and Welsh coastline at very close quarters.