Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise Liners

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cruise Liners

Bill,
    I totally agree ! My wife and I were booked to sail on Azura from Bridgetown Barbados, cruising the Caribbean and then home to Southampton. P&O cancelled all cruising two day prior to our flight out to join her. As did Cunard calling all their vessels back to Southampton. I was told on another website that Carnival will survive as they are a big company? I personally think, not just Carnival but all cruise companies are going to be hit hard. The appreciation of how this virus spread will no doubt effect how passengers fair on cruise liner accommodation?
    I was a bit disappointed as I am 65 and was taking my wife to show her all the haunts I visited back in the early 70's working as deck crew with P & O. I left the old Oriana on 9/5/1975 after the world cruise. I started when I was 15 with F T Everards of Greenhithe in my school holiday - six weeks as cabin boy on Assiduity a coastal tanker. I then went to Fleetwood Nautical College to learn navigation & seamanship. The rest is history. Now semi retired and p/t porter in local hospital putting something back

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another message today from Princess Cruises, from what they are saying nothing will stop them, or for that matter others companies, from going at it again.
    There will be a hiatus until thing settle but I spoke with an official in the Sydney office today and plans are for ships sailing from Oz ports by early November as told to them by a gov official.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I loved the story in Mollers when they were running the Muncaster and Greystoke castles, which were later sold to Ben Line. On of the passengers said to the captain at breakfast time what bad weaather they had had last night, and was he tired from being on the bridge all night. No he says, I slept very well in my bed. Turned out one of the passengers was a company executive who had panicked and had all the passengers wearing lifebelts and sitting in the alleyway all night.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was Second Mate on the Bardic {Muncaster Castle}at this time, and do not recall any of this story I remember no passengers aboard at the time. We heard the news on the way home from Oz, and felt dismayed. Mollers offered me further employment as Mate on a small ship running between Cyprus and Lebanon, but as I had only a year to do for Masters I elected to go with Harrisons as Third mate as I was engaged to a Liverpool girl. Did three trips for them, got married and passed my ticket, but have no good memories of Harrisons. Then went on to university and joined RAF as an Education Officer. Ended up as an Historian lecturing on Cruise ships, after a time as a Fulbright Scholar in the USA.

John Beaton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today the WHO said that until there is a proper vaccine this could go on for years, and the way the younger people are carrying on I believe them.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I despair, the latest local news on the Island is the complaints from residents complaining about the cruise boats anchored off Sandown bay, they claim that the smells from them are awful ????, that when they run their engines the vibration shakes the house ??, they are damaging the bay ???. These people must sit indoors looking for something to drip about, surely they look out into the bay, and on any day of the week, prior to the virus, there would be 4-5 large vessels anchored in the bay, waiting for a berth etc, this has been the case for many many years. Surely they must realise they are making total pratts of themselves, kt
    R689823

8. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#99 We have them down here as well Keith, people writing to the local Press complaining about ships spoiling the view, what view? without the ships you've only got the horizon! A letter was soon winging its way to the Press giving these ignoramiusses (never could spell that) a history and commercial lesson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cartwright View Post
    Bill,
    I totally agree ! My wife and I were booked to sail on Azura from Bridgetown Barbados, cruising the Caribbean and then home to Southampton. P&O cancelled all cruising two day prior to our flight out to join her. As did Cunard calling all their vessels back to Southampton. I was told on another website that Carnival will survive as they are a big company? I personally think, not just Carnival but all cruise companies are going to be hit hard. The appreciation of how this virus spread will no doubt effect how passengers fair on cruise liner accommodation?
    I was a bit disappointed as I am 65 and was taking my wife to show her all the haunts I visited back in the early 70's working as deck crew with P & O. I left the old Oriana on 9/5/1975 after the world cruise. I started when I was 15 with F T Everards of Greenhithe in my school holiday - six weeks as cabin boy on Assiduity a coastal tanker. I then went to Fleetwood Nautical College to learn navigation & seamanship. The rest is history. Now semi retired and p/t porter in local hospital putting something back
    Peter i to sailed the Caribbean, West Indies, And Mexican gulf for a few years in the early 70s, Only consolation you can take from your disappointment is you would not recognize most of the Islands we enjoyed 50yrs ago. And the prices are a little extra than we got charged. Terry
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Peel Ports wanted to lay up cruise ships at Greenock, Town Council raised public opinion against them, claiming the ships were ripe with the virus and that it spread through the area like wildfire.
    It was pointed out that the ships planned for layup were virus free and would be medically checked before any crew could leave the ship.
    Result so much resistance the Peel transferred the lay up of the ships to Glasgow.
    Vic
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 5th June 2020 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vic
    Fred Olssen have 3 ? Of their vessels laid up in the firth of forth.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast