Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise Liners

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No sails on modern lifeboats, recommended drill used to be when the diesel ran out, unbolt the engine, ditch it and sail or row to nearest land. It was never explained how a starving crew could manhandle a heavy engine though, on a diet of connie onny and barley sugar sweets.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In1956/57 on the good ship Table Bay, the former Tipperary Park, a Canadian Park Boat, owned by the Vancouver Shipping Company ,but managed by Lyles of Glasgow. due to a shortage of rations! we were issued with rusty tins of conny onny from the lifeboats, it was a dirty creamy browny colour, but was ok in tea!, the barley sugars were individually wrapped, but rather sticky, God knows how long they had been in the boats probably since 1944 when she was built!. Reminds me when in Baltimore on the same ship, the crew of an American ship all walked off onto the quayside,they had found out that there was only a couple of flavours of ice cream on board, they went back when a van hurtled down the dock with some large alloy containers ofother flavours.

3. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now Ron, if Chris was on there he would have had those rusty tins of Conny Onny painted a nice white gloss.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default We understand Kong LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I have seen many almost in a state of panic, big FAT American ladies jamming the stairs trying to get down to the embarkation deck, pushing and shoving everyone aside in a mad rush to get into the boats just to go ashore and gorge themselve in some dodgy restaurant. I have often thought that in a real emergency there is no such thing as survival. Only luck, or bad luck .
    Cheers
    Brian
    Lest you forget Terry.
    {terry scouse}

6. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ted ,
    its a toss up who is the loveliest, Mindee or the wife.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Chris.
    After reading that article I have come to this conclusion, it did not take into consideration. Panic unfamiliarity with their boat or life raft positions. I shudder to think at what would happen if {And I pray it will not} one of them capsised.
    Cheers Des
    Think they may do a bit better than you may think. With Royal Caribbean and Princess there is a compulsory life boat drill for ALL personel on board. Very comprehnsive and when in port all life boats get a going over by the crew. Just hope it is all remembered at the appropriate time.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 17th November 2018 at 05:51 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Queen Elizabeth

I was observing the Q.E earlir this year from the Egremont Ferry pub, whilst she was laying at the Liverpool Pier Head. I have never seen such a slab - sided grotesque heap of scrap in my life. She has no apparent counter, it looked to me if she shipped a big one aft it would wipe out half the accommodation. She has so many decks, that if she had a black-out, there is no way she would come up to the weather, just roll out her guts.A few thousand panicking passengers and a crew from the Bongo Islands who dont speakee English, and Officers with phoney tickets would result in a catastrophe. I wouldn't sail in one of these contraptions, if a ship looks right she is usually seaworthy, when the disaster eventually occurs it will make the Titanic look like a motorway shunt!!

10. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cruise Liners

while i respect the tread is an old one - co-incidentally a program-me on dstv - national geographic channel - big - bigger - biggest - was aired today - and shows - the cruise ship - independence of the seas - ( and stated - the biggest cruise ship in the world - now surpassed by the harmony of the seas ) and shows a lot of factors regarding the running of a cruise liner - including the timing to load ( in the case scenario - crew members were used in the documentary ) the loading of life boats - sailing pushing them away from the ship - even computer graphics were used - including one of the normandie - however - that is in the perfect scenario - John Evans - pictures attached are public domain
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bryan Portwig; 16th November 2018 at 09:09 PM.

12. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brian.
    looking at the top decks and visioning an 18 stone woman or man, or an elderly man or woman trying to get down to the the boat deck in an emergency makes me shudder.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem with the cruise industry now is competition.
    Some, but not all, cruise lines are going for bigger, better more exotic etc.

But they are not for all, great some for families if you like the floating holiday camp syndrome, 5,000 or more packed into a floating hotel.

Any one up to about 3,000 is comfortable, but above that hey are no longer any concept of what a ship should be.
    Some of the very large ones are restricted in where they can sail, the smaller ones tend to go to ports a little different.

But it is horse for courses and judging by the numbers now cruising it is one of the most popular forms of vacation.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast