Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Cruise Liners

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cruise Liners

On the TARKWA, of EDs, in Port Harcourt, I fell 50 feet off the mast. broke two legs and right arm amongst other injuries,
    In hospital for two days returned to the ship when it was sailing,.
    The Mate asked the Doctor, if I was fit to work, He said YES , as his left arm is OK.
    the crow used to carry me out on deck and sit me down with a chipping hammer and had to chip. with my left hand.
    Then when the monsoon squeaks came all hands would leg it to the messroom and I would be left in the rain.#
    Not a happy ship.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think this Pandemic will have a devastating effect on the Cruise Industry. Ships by nature are not the place to be when covid 19 is global. The new normal is going to impact on everyone & everything. Stay Safe All out there.

The Cunard Yanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill that is possible.
    But from figures I have seen in the last day or so show that we down here in Oz will not be put off.
    Future bookings for next year are up 20% on normal for time of year.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill,
    I totally agree ! My wife and I were booked to sail on Azura from Bridgetown Barbados, cruising the Caribbean and then home to Southampton. P&O cancelled all cruising two day prior to our flight out to join her. As did Cunard calling all their vessels back to Southampton. I was told on another website that Carnival will survive as they are a big company? I personally think, not just Carnival but all cruise companies are going to be hit hard. The appreciation of how this virus spread will no doubt effect how passengers fair on cruise liner accommodation?
    I was a bit disappointed as I am 65 and was taking my wife to show her all the haunts I visited back in the early 70's working as deck crew with P & O. I left the old Oriana on 9/5/1975 after the world cruise. I started when I was 15 with F T Everards of Greenhithe in my school holiday - six weeks as cabin boy on Assiduity a coastal tanker. I then went to Fleetwood Nautical College to learn navigation & seamanship. The rest is history. Now semi retired and p/t porter in local hospital putting something back

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another message today from Princess Cruises, from what they are saying nothing will stop them, or for that matter others companies, from going at it again.
    There will be a hiatus until thing settle but I spoke with an official in the Sydney office today and plans are for ships sailing from Oz ports by early November as told to them by a gov official.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I loved the story in Mollers when they were running the Muncaster and Greystoke castles, which were later sold to Ben Line. On of the passengers said to the captain at breakfast time what bad weaather they had had last night, and was he tired from being on the bridge all night. No he says, I slept very well in my bed. Turned out one of the passengers was a company executive who had panicked and had all the passengers wearing lifebelts and sitting in the alleyway all night.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was Second Mate on the Bardic {Muncaster Castle}at this time, and do not recall any of this story I remember no passengers aboard at the time. We heard the news on the way home from Oz, and felt dismayed. Mollers offered me further employment as Mate on a small ship running between Cyprus and Lebanon, but as I had only a year to do for Masters I elected to go with Harrisons as Third mate as I was engaged to a Liverpool girl. Did three trips for them, got married and passed my ticket, but have no good memories of Harrisons. Then went on to university and joined RAF as an Education Officer. Ended up as an Historian lecturing on Cruise ships, after a time as a Fulbright Scholar in the USA.

John Beaton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today the WHO said that until there is a proper vaccine this could go on for years, and the way the younger people are carrying on I believe them.
    Des

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10