Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Travel insurance???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Up to the age of 70, I had free travel insurance from Natwest, (Advantage Gold Account). I still get 12 months cover but pay £50 per year. I cruise again in November, and she who must be obeyed, and I, are both fully covered by Natwest permanent policy. It automatically renews by direct debit, £50 per annum, per person.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Gordon, the problem starts when you reach that stupid age of 76.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have just been onto American Express, £468per person, under 69 years of age. I am 76.
    We are being penalised for growing old.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 24th August 2011 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Age related

Hi Kong. Well W.R. and I are with Nationwide and they have given us free insurance this year until we're 75! Guess what, 'Taffy' was 75 in March I'm O.K. for another 2 years. I know I'm her toyboy.
    Been onto Nationwide insurance brokers and said, 'O.K. going to Andorra in the winter what's it cost tho you say it's free'? Nothing Sir your O.K for Europe'. 'Great but I've got A.F. and I'm on warfarin what's the cost?' Ah, well sir we'll have to charge you £30 for the year, do you have any other problems?' Well I had a tumour removed from my gastric area in Jan 2010'. 'Yes sir we'll still cover you at £30. Why are you going to Andorra in the winter sir?'. 'Daft question, I'm going coz theres snow and I can ski down some mountains'
    'Excuse me sir but someone will call you back'. They called me back but now my 'FREE' insurance is going to cost me £130-00. I said to 'em I wear a helmet, I don't booze when on the mountain and try to leap off black runs and at night the only thing I'm likely to cuddle upto is a mug of cocoa.

I often use to wonder what people meant when they said, 'Old age don't come alone' NO it comes with a bloody big bill put there by aload of (B)ankers.
    Good luck in your search Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Michael,
    I have just joined the Royal Bank of Scotland Royalties Gold. at my local bank. I have to wait 14 days to activate it. They do free insurance up to 70 then add £50 per person but only for 31 day trips. I will be trying to negotiate a longer trip, 54 days when I can start it.
    No doubt it will be loaded against me.
    I did think maybe get the 31 day trip, then insure myself in Australia for the return part of the journey back to UK. I wonder if that is possible.

Ageism should be illegal,
    If I was a, black, one legged, lesbian, ******, then it would be illegal to increase or deny me insurance cover.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try two overlappig 31 day policies. Just a thought. The problem is that old people have a habit of breaking down although they only usually die once.

Good Luck

Derek

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Derek, I am not an old person,
    I am a super fit hero, I am only guilty of having a Birth Certificate that says I was born in June 1935.
    That was not my fault.

I reckon that if I have survived 76 years without any serious accidents and no ilnesses and wandered around the planet in all conditions for 60 years then I should be a Good Bet.
    If only the insurance companies could believe that.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Captain Kong,
    I have just searched on American Express Platinum card site, and the fee for the card annually is $550 dolllars,
    whatever that is in £s, and that covers both of you, they say on the site that the only upper age limit is 80, membership is the only thing i pay, gives me full travel ins, executive lounges, reduced rate Avis car hire etc, it even covers your kids gap year etc,(not that i have any of those) but there are restrictions to that, the only other thing is that you have to have a joint income of 65000 dollars per annum income. Most other insurances have restrictions of time away. Hope this helps, it certainly pays to shop around as we get older!!! regards Keith Tindell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Travel Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Ageism should be illegal,
    If I was a, black, one legged, lesbian, ******, then it would be illegal to increase or deny me insurance cover.

Cheers
    Brian
    I contacted my MP about ageism, apparently its the only thing that is not illegal, unless your looking for work, then it becomes illegal. We are not fat forty year olds sponging off the state, so give us some leeway.

I'm afraid for insurance companies, normally run by accountants (as are most companies now) it is numbers that matter and not reality

I ran my own company from the age of 48, when I was 64 years and 364 days old I could obtain indemnity insurance, when I was 64 years and 365 days old no one would grant me indemnity insurance as I was deemed too old and that was all perfectly legal so I had to continue without insurance for the next ten years. Strange world we live in.

I go dancing twice a week, more when its available,Rock and Roll, Salsa, Rumba, American Smoothie, quicksteps, just taken up Ceroc can dance the youngsters into the ground, but travel insurance and others, Eh! your old! you must be unfit, just driven nearly 2000 miles in six days guess I must be unfit and on my last legs, Guess I'll have to take up serious drinking and smoking to conform to what they think I am.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your reply Keith.
    I wouldnt qualify for that one. Our income is nowhere near anything like that.
    65,000$US is around £44,000 pounds GB. I wish I was on that.
    I am still searching.
    Thanks for your help.
    Cheers
    Brain.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast