Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P&O Cruises - The Ventura.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink P&O Cruises - The Ventura.

Hoping someone finds the following useful:
    We (me and the Mrs) have just completed a 13 day/12 night cruise on P&O’s Ventura. We have cruised with them before, back in 2006, on the much smaller Oceana. We have also cruised with Cunard and Celebrity. The cruise we chose was “The Canary Islands”. Destinations: Spain (Vigo), the Canary Islands (Lanzarote, Gran Canaria, La Palma and Tenerife) and Madeira (Funchal). Main reason for the choice was, we know the Canary Islands, the only place we hadn’t been to was Funchal. Arranged trip on Funchal and did our own thing on the other stops.
    It turned out that the choice of cruise was not one of our best decisions, neither for weather or cruise content. 2 days at sea to Vigo and 3 days at sea from Funchal to Southampton on the return. Rest of the sea time was overnight except for Lanzarote, to Gran Canaria. We couldn’t dock at Lanzarote because of high winds (40-45 knots) so we continued on to Gran Canaria., that makes another 2 full days at sea. Not quite what we expected, but fair do’s it wasn’t anyone’s fault, just the luck of the draw.
    The ship itself is quite something, 115,000 gross tonnage, 3078 passengers, 1226 crew, 14 passenger decks, 19 decks in total. Plenty of shops, areas to relax, good library,……a Costa Coffee………yippee for Mrs K !!! Good bars, restaurants and a good choice of buffets. Quite a few children on board, but with lots of activities for them, they were never any bother to us older folk!! In fact they did brighten up our day. We once shared a lift with about 8 tiny tots (and their carer) and we and a few other elderly passengers ended up singing Baa Baa Blacksheep over 4 decks worth of lift travel!!! Entertainment was also first class, plenty of variety, shows, films, talks, etc; etc.
    Restaurant staff were excellent, buffet staff acceptable but nothing special, likewise with cabin steward. Cabin (stateroom if you are posh)with large balcony, sun loungers etc, very comfortable, tea/coffee making, fridge (not stocked), good size shower and toilet. TV (interactive) not impressed!! Small table and one chair.
    The layout of the ship was difficult to get to grips with. Normally a couple of days and you have a fair idea of where most facilities are and how to get to them. On the Ventura, the day we disembarked and we were still discussing which way to go from our cabin!!!!
    Food was excellent from all aspects, quality, quantity, variety, presentation. Wine was also excellent from quality, choice and (believe or not, much to my surprise) cost. Paid about £14 for a bottle of red, not as cheap as shoreside, but half the price we were paying on the Celebrity Solstice in 2009. On the question of booze, I and quite a few others (judging by the empties outside the cabins) had no problems in taking drink onto the ship. However if you bought duty free alcohol on board, it was kept until the day before we docked. Tipping was well documented by P&O and pretty straightforward when we got to the last day..
    All in all, we enjoyed the break. Would we go back with P&O? probably, but not on the Ventura. We would also look at the cruise content much more closely. One more gripe on a personal level. The interactive TV allows you to monitor the ships progress and your “Bar bill”. The system also provides a section “Get to know your ship” and “Get to know your Officers” good idea, however…….ships officers:
    Deck: Captain, Deputy Captain, Safety Officer, 1st Navigating Officer, Senior 2nd Officer, 2nd Officer, 3rd Officer, Cadet, Chief Security Officer right down to Chief Petty Officer security………………Engineers, not a blooming mention. I did point out this anomaly in my cruise questionnaire before leaving the ship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Russ it sounds as if you had a good time. Only done one with P&O down here in Oz and it was not very good, have heard similar comments from others we have met. Maybe it is just the way they do things down here, P&O appear to work to a price rather than a standard. Maybe in the north they do things differently, so go enjoy some more.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default P & ) Cruise "Ventura"

Greetings Russ,
    Many thanks for all the info regarding your "Ventura" cruise it was of particular interest to me & my wife because we are booked on her for our 50th wedding anniversary in October (the 28th to be exact) sailing from Southampton on the 21st then on to Madeiria then across the Atlantic to cruise the Carribean we will of course be about half way across the Atlantic for our aniiversary just hope for my wifes sake that the weather will be kind to us.
    With regards to drink well we are taking a chance and taking plastic bottles in our main suitcases if they take it off us so be it.
    However if you could enlighten us a little bit more with regards to tipping which I am happy to do so within reason it would be greatfully appreciated because we have heard so many different stories.
    I think with regards to tipping the crew probably think that we are all millionaires far from it but they wil get what we think is a fair tip whether they like it or not.
    Look forward to a reply.
    Best wishes,
    John Aspin (R685343) Ormesby-Middlesbrough

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink P&O cruise Ventura

Hi John,
    I have no doubt that you and your good lady will enjoy the Ventura. I think you have picked a good cruise, (hope you have told them it is your 50th!!).
    As for drink, that is what I did, only in a glass bottle (I think plastic is more sensible),we had no problems. Don't worry about tipping, it is pretty well covered in the literature in you stateroom. As the ship operates a cash free system, tipping bar staff etc, is covered by a service charge automatically added to the bill (as far as I know, didn't do any drinking in the bars/night clubs) Normally had a beer with my lunch in the Waterside, you just sign the receipt. Tipping your restaurant waiter depends upon whether you are "freedom dining" or "club dining", if freedom, a fixed tip per day per person is added to your final account at the end of the cruise, if "club" you give what you think they are worth. Ours were particularly good (brilliant in fact) so we put a couple of quid extra in the envelope. With regard to your Cabin Steward, we take the same approach as you are proposing. Ours wasn't particularly helpful so she only got the recommended amount. Either way John, you don't have to give anything, according to the literature on board tipping is entirely at the discretion of the individual.
    With regard to the weather, we hit bad weather at Lanzarote and down to Gran Canaria, but the old man deployed the stabiliser fins to great effect, (my wife is not a good sailor but she had no problems) so you have no worries on that score.
    Hope this helps John, anything else comes to mind let me know. I know it a long way off, but Best Wishes for the 28th October, hope you have a fabulous cruise, I'm sure you will.
    Regards Russ Kennedy
    PS John, just spotted your other post under Independence of the Seas. At Southampton, hand luggage is not searched as such. It is X-rayed, but I never saw anything being opened up or confiscated. However putting your "tipple" in your case would be the best bet (in my opinion). Hope this helps. R
    Last edited by Russ Kennedy; 7th July 2011 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Aspin View Post
    Greetings Russ,
    Many thanks for all the info regarding your "Ventura" cruise it was of particular interest to me & my wife because we are booked on her for our 50th wedding anniversary in October (the 28th to be exact) sailing from Southampton on the 21st then on to Madeiria then across the Atlantic to cruise the Carribean we will of course be about half way across the Atlantic for our aniiversary just hope for my wifes sake that the weather will be kind to us.
    With regards to drink well we are taking a chance and taking plastic bottles in our main suitcases if they take it off us so be it.
    However if you could enlighten us a little bit more with regards to tipping which I am happy to do so within reason it would be greatfully appreciated because we have heard so many different stories.
    I think with regards to tipping the crew probably think that we are all millionaires far from it but they wil get what we think is a fair tip whether they like it or not.
    Look forward to a reply.
    Best wishes,
    G'day John, not sure if you read it but I posted a reply to your last request on the subject, under the thread, Independence of the Sea.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 7th July 2011 at 06:36 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default "Ventura"

Greetings Russ,
    Thank you for your reply to my previous message and sorry for the delay in replying but we have been out & about over the last week so here goes I have read your reply with interest so many thanks for putting us in the picture so to speak.
    I will of course let you know how things went on our return.
    Best wishes,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default "Independance of the Sea"

G'day John,
    Apologies for not replying to your posting about the above cruise ship, yes I did read it as with all other postings read it with interest, to be quite honest I thought that I had replied obviousley not, old age creeping on, any way once agin many thanks.
    Hope all is well down under with you & all your family especially health wise, talking of health my youngest daughter came through her operation OK and had an appointment with her consultant last week in which he was pleased how the operation went but most important he told her that there was no more cancer there so a great releif to us all.
    Best wishes,
    John Aspin (R685343) Ormesby-Middlesbrough.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great news mate, tell her to hang in there she will be O.K.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink P&O Cruise Ventura

Further to the discussion ref tips etc: Update (sales blurb) received from P&O yesterday (19th August). Quote "For 2012 we are delighted to announce that shuttle buses and gratuities are now included in the price of your holiday, which is great news for those of you who like to know the cost of their holiday before they travel". Sounds like a good idea to me, not so good for those who only believe in tipping for good service.
    regards all Russ kennedy
    Last edited by Russ Kennedy; 20th August 2011 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i,v sailed twice on P.Os oceana and 6 of us are going 17th september around the med you can go to the main desk and remove any tipping and tip who you feel deserves it i also put the carboard cartons of wine in my case for my nightly medicine cheers clancy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast