Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Independence of the Seas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Independence of the Seas

Hi all. We have just compleated a trip on the above Cruise ship, and these are our views. The ship is to big, there does not seem to be enough crew (staff, sorry forgetting that we do not have a British M.N. now). You have to que every where, it took us 20 mins, from ordering a drink until we receieved it, the bars were to small for the size of the ship, the only large lounge, every time we went into it, a sign was put up saying there was a private function in that lounge. The stay in each port was very short, there does not seem to be enough seating in each bar,you have to stand around until someone else moves. On a good note...... the food is great, and so are the cabins.
    In the future, we will be booking a smaller ship like the Tomson ships where you are welcomed, and the service is good. Take care..... Terry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its a shame you have to find out these things and pay for the priviledge. Personally I would'nt want to go on a cruise on a large ship like that, too much like Butlins to me. The ships just seem to be getting bigger and bigger and the service apears to get worse instead of better. I suppose the more passengers the more congestion. probably less staff to look after them per head therefore lack of service that Terry experienced and less space to relax.

Chris.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are a few nice small cruise ships around.
    I did Fremantle to Liverpool on the Funchal, Portugese, with 400 bloods on. also the Minerva on a trip to the Antarctic, again with 400 bloods. all very comfortable and the best of service. I found the QE2 was good for a ship that size, 1750 bloods, but enough space and staff to cater for everyone promptly, A few weeks ago a 30 day trip around Polynesia on the Rotterdam, it had 1300 bloods, no probnlems plenty of space and good service, no waiting. the crew to Blood ratio was 2 to 1.
    Before you spend money on a cruise. plan your trip before you book it. Where do you want to go to. what do you expect, How big is it, how many bloods to crew ratios. Do you really want to climb up the Rock Wall behind the funnel, do you really want to go surfing on a board in a swim pool. check out the dining. is it formal, do you have your own table for every meal with the same waiter. etc.etc.
    I have booked for next February on the new Queen Elizabeth to the Pacific Islands , New Zealand and Australia.
    I will let you know what it is like when I return.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Independence of the seas

It's strange that this post has just come up,this morning I had to suffer one hour video of the cruise from Southampton to Cobh.A mate of mine had just done the cruise and gave me the video to watch,I had to watch it because I knew he would be asking questions later.Far to big,far to many people and to me it seemed to me to be very claustrophic inthe bars etc,over 4.000 passengers.To me it was nothing like a cruise of years ago but more like Las Vegas on water.Not for me thank you.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see the governing body of P&O, Carnival, has a number of new ships on order. One will be for P&O built specificaly for the British cruise market. Estimated at 141,000 tons capable of carrying 3611 bloods with a crew of 1350. To be built in France and due for 2015 but as yet no name. With that number could it be for the 'sardine' market? And behold a 'new' inovation, she has TWO funnels.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 3rd June 2011 at 05:28 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Saga Cruises

Have you tried saga cruise? nice size vessels paxs 600 crew 400 plenty of different places to visit world wide, new ship comming online march 2012.

Ray

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wilcox View Post
    Hi all. We have just compleated a trip on the above Cruise ship, and these are our views. The ship is to big, there does not seem to be enough crew (staff, sorry forgetting that we do not have a British M.N. now). You have to que every where, it took us 20 mins, from ordering a drink until we receieved it, the bars were to small for the size of the ship, the only large lounge, every time we went into it, a sign was put up saying there was a private function in that lounge. The stay in each port was very short, there does not seem to be enough seating in each bar,you have to stand around until someone else moves. On a good note...... the food is great, and so are the cabins.
    In the future, we will be booking a smaller ship like the Tomson ships where you are welcomed, and the service is good. Take care..... Terry
    Hi Terry, know what you mean having been on the larger vessels and have often said Thompsons no snobs and good value for the money. started with them on the Topaz" ex Empress of Britain and loved it having said a cruise!! bussmans holliday, but i am hooked after 14 of them.Would like to keep going till they lift me aboard with the old Clarke-Chapman winch cheers now Eddie Grant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am going on the Queen Elizabeth next January, not been on that one before.
    We will end up in Sydney after the States, Pacific Islands , New Zealand, Melbourne and then Sydney.
    That is where the problem is starting.
    The Pound to the Oz dollar rate is nearly half the value of three years ago. Then I was getting 2.50 AD to one pound , now it is down to 1.40 AD to one pound. I guess someone has devalued the pound without informing me.
    I have been on the internet trying to find a hotel in Sydney, handy for the old places we went to in the old days, Montys` Blood House, Hero of Waterloo, Mary Bashems and Lord Nelson etc.. the cheapest hotel is now around £200 a night, for three weeks that would cost around £4,200 more than double the rate of the QE. Some hotels down near Circular Quay are around 6 to 800 uk pounds for one night.
    Unbelievable, all they do is vacuum the carpet, change the sheets on the bed and polish the bathroom.
    How can they sustain those prices????
    Well the time I get there it is the GAY MARDI GRA. and 25,000 people are expected to arrive in Sydney.
    I will have to hire a campervan and head for the back of Bourke for the duration.
    I guess at those prices and the low status of the pound to the dollar it may have to be my last visit to OZ, one of my favourite places.

We have been around the world several times since retirement so next time we will have to go somewhere else.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 7th June 2011 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

montys is a twenty four hour pub now brian you could just stay there

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Captian there are some very good motels in and around Sydney, some out at Glebe, only a five minute drive from town center. Stayed in one there couple of years ago and it was O.K.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast