Thread: Thoughts and prayers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By Happy Daze in OZSome of you have asked why Vernon has not replied, or should I say risen to the bait, on various sections of this posting. Vernon is currently on a mission of mercy sitting by the bed of his brother in law, and he informs me may well be attending his funeral by the end of next week, such is the insidious nature of the mans illness. For any of you who have sat and watched a love one pass away in this manner I am sure you know what it is like.
    Vernon forwarded on to me copy of an e-mail sent to him by a member of this site. In it he tells that Vernon is lower than a snakes belly in a gold mine because he will not allow himself to be goaded by this person. THE WRITER ALSO GOES ON TO SAY THAT THERE ARE MANY ON THIS SITE WHO FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT HIM! I have been a user of this site for many years now and one thing I have learned is this, 99.9% of the users of this site are big enough and ugly enough to speak for them selves, they do not require a self appointed spokesman. The good men of this site all remember the odd one out on any voyage, and here we have a classic example of that.
    To attack Vernon for not taking sides, or for acting in a responsible manner as an administrator, he has been castigated by one of our own.
    Over the years no one has done more for others on this site than Vernon has and I believe most members see it that way, even our very good mate who refers to him as the white crusader. But that person is not a vitriolic one, simply a man of humor.
    Brian may well remove this posting, his prerogative, but I sincerely hope he leaves it long enough for some to see the harm they do to others. Banter I love and will participate in at any time I can, but name calling is not my scene.
    Vernon is not aware I have posted this. Funny thing is we have never met, yet we have developed a friendship that will I believe stand the test of time, we regularly correspond and comunicate and that has been enough for our relationship to develop.

Hello John.....A well worded post, onya mate. Perhaps, now, we can get this ship back on an even keel and steer towards calmer waters....... Vernon, should you read this, please know that my thoughts are with you and your family at this sad and difficult time.......regards Roger.
    Certain that many thoughts and prayers are meant and sent to and for Vernon and family at this time.

K.

Hello to ALL (not a gripe)
    This may be the incorrect place to post this,but because there are posts relating to this i think it should be put here! ( now moved from the origianl and put here)
    Myself,Irene,Brenda and the Entire Family would like to say many thanks to those that have taken the time out to give support and kind words regarding Brenda's husband Karl,who has been very very ill with the dreaded C for a long time,he has been in excruiating pain over the last few Weeks,and not even the constant drip of Morphine was'nt helping!
    A very sad sight indeed to just sit by his Bed and not be able to do anything!

Sadly but mercifully at 11.34pm last Night (Saturday the 8th January 2011) he was taken from us all,and he is i know now in Peace.
    Irene and her Younger Sister Beverley made the trip once again up to Newcastle Hospice,and thank the Lord that they made it in time!
    I was very sad not to be able to have also been there at the time,but at least i had seen him just a day ago to say my farewell!

He was like a real Brother to me,and i will miss him dearly! As will all the rest of the Family.
    Rest in Peace dear Karl,we all love and miss you!

Once again thanks to Brian and Carol,Beth,Tracey,John and Terri,Roger,Keith,Jean,George and Muareen,Dave Williams,Capt Kong,John Callon,Dennis and Fran and a few others that phoned and sent Emails! (Thank you PJ and Jean, Glen Baker,Neil and Joy Morton and Jim R395326)If there are some names that i may not have included,please accept my apologies!

May the good Lord keep you all safe!
    Vernon,Irene ,Brenda and Family

Vernon, my good lady is a nurse and only deals with palliative care, hence all her patients are the extreme cases and with no real hope of survival, fortunately I have not experienced the front line but some of the aftermath. She can cry on my shoulder most days, helps her cope. I could not do such work, thank god for such Angels at such a time.

As said before all sentiments sent and meant.

K.

Keith The Ladies that do that kind of Work are much more than Angels ,they have a talent which requires a speacial touch,and as i have seen this kind of thing before,i really admire anyone who takes up the challenge to do this work!
    God bless them all including of course you dear good Lady!

If i recall correctly our one LADY on site Tracey is involved with a similiar type of job,not palitive care,but i think its to do with the handicaped,also a very very difficult position,but has great rewards at times!

My Hat off to them all!
    Thanks
    Cheers

Dear Vernon and Irene,I was so sorry to hear about Your Dear Brother-in-Law
    He is at least in God's arms now and can feel no more pain.
    My Thoughts and prayers are with you and your Family at this Time.
    Take care and be good to one another as life is short and we only have one.
    Love and Hugs to you Both
    Jean (Tiger1)xxxxxxxx

Hi Jean Thank you for your kind words!
    Yes life is so short,and i only wish that all here on site would realise that too!
    I am not getting at anyone but feel that of late there has just been too much negative writings to one another!
    That said ,yes poor Karl is at last at Peace!
    Our love to you too Jean!
    Take care!
    Vernon and Irene xxxxxxxxxxx

The Merchant Seamen
    No poppies wave above our heads
    Or mark the place where we must sleep
    Below the oceans wild and wide
    Our resting place is in the deep

Out of the night torpedoes came
    To start the roar of flash and flame
    The stink of burning oil and then
    The cries of all the dying men

We ask you not to call us brave
    For we volunteered 'tis true
    We gave our lives so you could live
    And asked no thanks from you

Armed forces from around the world
    Put their lives upon the line
    Just the same as we did
    Having faith in the divine

The wolf packs now no longer roam
    And peace then brought the heroes home
    No poppies wave above our heads
    But we are gone and long dead

So let us not forget the crew
    Of merchant ships in battle too
    The merchant seamen played their part
    Remember them with all your heart

http://www.merchantseamen.ca/poem.php

Hi Vernon and Irene please accept my condolances for the loss of Karl,
    always very sad, sometimes a relief if they are suffering
    all the best
    Brian. (Capt Kong)

Thank you Capt! All replies are much appreciated,and i will pass them all on to the Family!
    Yes it is a blessing that he is now gone,as he was in so much pain!
    To see a Man that once was so strong,get to be only a skeleton was really heartbreaking for us all!
    From 96kg all Muscle to a meer 38kg near the end! Oh it was terrible!
    Thanks again Capt!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th January 2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: To get it all together
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A bit of a mess!

Made a bit of a mess trying to merge these posts so please accept my apologies!
    Thank you

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon, I can feel for you and your family over your sad loss.
    There is so much of it for some reason. This past year three friends have gone that way and last Thursday the wife of a friend died that way and her husband is waiting for a liver transplant and was turned away the week before after being told they had a liver but no bed for him so he is still on a knife edge.
    Over here we have The McMillan Nurses and they were wonderful for my mate right through to the end at home, on call 24/7 and staying at his home all through the night to give Babs a bit of rest, and giving the medication, morphine and oxygen etc. they were marvelous, and certainly helped his wife over the last few weeks and days as he was closing down. They are only a charity but do wonderful work. It wasnt good seeing him like that, down to a skeleton, but his suffering has gone and it was certainly a relief for his wife when the suffering stopped.
    Sorry to be so sad but it always seems to be the good people who suffer.
    All the best
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nurses!

Hi Capt
    Yes it is a blessing to say the least,and thanks again!
    Those Nurses are like Angels as you so rightly say,all throuh this delimma they were marvellous.with that 27/7 care and always o willing to do anything for all!
    There was even free accomadation given to all the Family Members that went there ,and we just cannot thank them enough!
    We are all now going to give a sunstantial Donation (collectivly)to the Hospice
    so that they can use it for things that are well needed there!
    Also going to get Gifts for all that were at Karls CALL!
    There are some wonderfull people in this very sad World! Thank God for them!
    Cheers and thanks !

PS I am sorry to also hear of the loss of yet another! Take care mate!
    I hope that poor Man soon gets the Liver he so badly requires!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 9th January 2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon,

May I express my deepest sympathy to you and your family over your sad loss. There are no words that can heal the pain. Only time will do this. Two years ago my sister in law died of lung cancer, two days after her passing away her husband died of a completely unrelated disease which ended up attending a double funeral which was quite harrowing. There are people out there who know exactly what you are going through and offering a prayer for you all.
    Take care,
    John Callon.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon thanks for that. My friend was told to go to Leeds from Manchester for a new liver transplant, They had a struggle to get there through all the deep snow over the Pennines and when he got there they said the bed had been taken by someone else and the Liver had been sent to Birmingham for someone else.
    He was relieved to a certain extent as his wife died a few days later last Thursday so he would have missed her final hours. So he is back on the waiting list.
    My son is a Hepatologist and Oncologist and does Liver transplants but he is in the south of England. He told me last week that England only has seven hospitals that can do liver transplants, there are none in the North West of England. So not much to go on there.
    Cheers
    BRIAN.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 9th January 2011 at 11:05 PM.

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Again thanks!

Many thanks for that too John Callon!
    Your name has been added to my post of thanks!
    Cheers

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9851

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon mate, words may not help your aching heart but our thoughts and prayers are with you and the family. I have some idea of what youy and Rene have gone through, lost mum dad and two brothers in law to the same thing. But as you say the palative care people are something else. I have seen first hand what they do and there is not enough money in the world to pay them for that. They will have a special place in heaven.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Time!

Hi John
    I know there are many here that give their support and good wishes,and for all these we are extreemly greatefull.
    Thank you for all your Thoughts ,Emails and Phone Calls!
    It is as said well appreciated!
    Time will heal
    All the best
    Vernon and Irene

R697530