Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crossed the Bar

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i would like to pass on my condolences to bill shorts relatives he sure was one of tough ones of the merchant navy war veterans

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to join in with all Hands expressing my deepest condolence to Helen and Bill`s family,
    The world is running out of MEN like him.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my condolences from NZ. In the fifties and early sixties I sailed with men of his era who did what they had to do. They were brave, day after day beyond belief.My regards to you all, Ronnie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just seen this, I was telling my familly about Bill and the convoys to Russia and looked him up on the internet and found this thread.
    My deepest condolenses to Gorgina and Helen.
    Bill was my late father's cousin and he was an insperation to us all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bill Short R.I.P.

My deepest condolence to his Family and friends. A true Merchant Navy Hero one of our very best Lifes storms' are over You will ' suffer no more you dropped the Anchor on the peaceful shore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my sincere condolances to bills family. its a pity these hero's of the merchant navy are not sufficiently recognised by the media of today R.I.P. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Condolences

Fair weather and a safe Haven Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bill short

Sincere condolences to all Bills Family, may he rest in peace.
    John Aspin (R685343) Ormesby- Middlesbrough

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Hope this may assist to remember him and all.

Asked to put up a few words for guidance to a priests sermon for the annual MN Seafarer's Service, Barry Dock 2011: Came up with the following -

“Her Name Was SS”

Service Brief

May I ask you to give the Merchant Navy much thought at a time of tribute and remembrance? “The first casualty of World War 2 was a merchant ship – The SS Athenia, sunk within three hours of war being declared, many lives were lost on this the first casualty of the Battle of the Atlantic" a further 32,000 known merchant seamen were lost during the war when they were bringing food and armaments for our defence and survival. On the armada of D Day more than 60 percent of the vessels involved were merchant ships. Many Merchant seamen remain not commemorated and this just one conflict..

We look today at remembering these brave men and the survivors of sinking’s who went back to sea to serve their country time and time again suffering untold hardships with fortitude and a desire not to be beaten. We owe them a great debt of gratitude.

“WE REMEMBER THEM” Ships of The British Merchant Navy, Captains and Crew and loved ones including the lesser well known and the many. May they not be forgotten.

Her names were SS. named: Trevessa, Tregenna, Daybreak, Dudley rose, Barry, etc

Whatever her title she was not designed intentionally to face enemy action. She was generally a Steam ship: born or rather built to serve her masters, carry safely her crew, passengers and cargo and in conflict along with her fellow MN Merchant Ships supply a Nation.

Those who sailed upon her: leaving families and loved ones ashore, at home, behind them and often during such conflict alone and forever. Many that promised to remember them are here no more, re-united possibly as time has gone by. The ships, travellers and crews, sail on in a different world, now and loved ones hopefully passage eternally with those brave men and voyagers once more.

It was a hard way to earn a crust, especially during Wartime, with so many vessels seeking safe haven. With often her journeys end not reached and a final resting place, the Ocean bed and no known grave but the sea, for the men, women and boys or children that sailed these graceful steel ladies. “We must remember them all”. The many that survived attacks by those that would do them harm, haunted forever by the sights and sounds of ships and fellow men of the sea becoming extinct in such a horrible way and those that escaped the hunters time and time again, with no thought of giving in will always remember “These men that died to save us all”.

We, as an island race, are steeped in Maritime history and owe so much to so many, the Merchant Navy have until recently seemed to be the forgotten service, the backbone of our country’s Navy, yet a distant relative when the honours are bestowed. These good men worked for a living, for bread and butter and maybe a love of the sea, others just to work, as times were hard. Whatever reason seamen sail, they expect at some time to go home. Faced with the hardships of life at sea, many would be deterred from such a life. To sail knowing that any voyage could be the last, facing war time dangers and a watery grave, did not deter these brave men and our Maritime life line was kept open by these sailors from many homes and ports.

Many sail what can be a “Cruel Sea”, not always in times of conflict, we ask that our God will “Bless this Ship and all who Sail In Her” at a launch and many pray for a safe voyage and early return for vessels leaving harbour. All ships and crew from liners to fishing vessels, rowing boat to super tanker, require safe passage, a flag to fly under and protection from danger. Safe harbour to rest in and when tragedy occurs a lifeboat to help them. We pray for the safety, support those that may rescue and ask our god to guide and protect. But we must also remember, LEST WE FORGET.

In Memory of: All Captains and crews, those Good men and the women and children, still not “Home From the Sea” and those of all lost from this world with “No Known Grave but the Sea” the many just not remembered or just forgot and un-commemorated in an unattended grave.
    “We shall Remember Them”.

K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2