Thread: Ronald Raymond Sommerford

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ronald Raymond Sommerford

Many years ago now Ronald Raymond Sommerford crossed the bar in NZ
    aged twenty four or five as the result of an accident.
    My shipmate from MV Salmela he then moved on to Union Castle. Ronnie Grant
    Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear Ronnie,
    Many thanks for your kind thoughts about Ronald. We were a family of three sons Ronald was the oldest followed by Raymond, who was also in the merchant navy, and then me, Jim. Sadly Raymond passed away in 2003 and on new years eve 2008 my Mother passed away at the age of 84. At her funeral one of my family members told me that they had "Googled" Ronald and up came this site with your comment. I was amazed to see it on there. I hope you and you family are fit and well and I wish you all the best for the future.

Best Regards

Jim Sommerford

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Peter F Chard, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ronnie

Hi Jim, I thought I had posted an email to you yesterday 14th but there is now some doubt in my mind that I actually sent it so I will do so again. I joined Salmela in Capetown and she had already been out for six months. I became friends with Ronnie and we were go ashore mates. I also learned a bit of guitar from him and still own three. We missed the last boat back to the ship in Bombay and we sat on the wharf and sank a bottle of brandy between us. I still think of that night everytime I have a brandy. In Boston or Baltimore he and I and a fireman missed the ship so we got the train to New York where the ship was going but we got there before the ship and cruised around broadway for the night. Then some old watchman let us in to sit around a boiler to keep warm. Next day we went to the agent and asked for money but all we got was food vouchers for the seamans mission. We ordered hamburgers and in a broad NY accent the cook said,'Boigers? boint or raw?' I still use the expression today when the occasion arises.We got into a bit of trouble in Goa with the army, a whole crowd of us off the ship but Ronnie and I managed to slip away up the street and dived into a pub where a crowd of Swedish sailors were drinking. We just joined them, desperately trying to look Swedish and I must say they handled it very well or maybe they were so far gone they never noticed.Anyway a couple of soldiers came in and had a look around but left. Ronnie lived with Mrs Newberry just up the road from me in Edinburgh so we stuck around together.I had just got engaged and Ronnie had just bought a rather expensive guitar and he had a couple of gigs down at the pubs in Leith docks. When our leave was up we went our separate ways. I can't remember how I knew he was here it must have been through Mrs Newberry . I had already been here and wanted to return. After leaving the sea I went through catering college and obtained my city and guilds. I then secured a two year contract with a large hotel group in NZ. I was sent to Wanaka in the South island and wrote to Mrs Newberry asking for Ronnies address. Naturally I was stunned at the reply. I never found out any details on how he came to be here or the accident itself. I do know he left a young child behind, a girl. I have tried to find her but to no avail.I'm delighted to be in contact with you Jim but I truly regret the circumstances. Regards Ronnie. PS My wife remembers him well as we used to go and see him sing.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default old crew of salmela

do you remember dave mackay; bob anderson;. now deceased. george jack,the two taffies

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: old crew of salmela

Hi Mackay, just got back online after dropping out. Don't know why it happened. Sorry none of the names ring a bell for me. Maybe a different trip.Trouble with the crew. I found out years later. Chief cook called the bosun into the galley and cracked him on the head with a steel then head butted him repeatedly. Both cooks jumped in Capetown where the incident occurred. Me and a new chief cook were flown out but the new chief didn't last long either. Fell down the stairs or something. New chief Joined somewhere on the SA coast and jumped in the states. Another joined in the Bahamas. Quite a trip. Ring any bells? Ronnie.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ronald Raymond Sommerford

Hi Jim. This is a long shot that you will pick this up as I see your original posting was in February 2009. I knew and sailed with your brother Ronnie on Salmela along with Ronnie Grant. Let me know if you are still picking up these posts and I can maybe bring you up to date on my memories of Ronnie.

Best regards,
    Alex Hood