Thread: Captain Peter Thomas Yeandle.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Captain Peter Thomas Yeandle.

Dear sirs,

Captain Peter Thomas Yeandle Honourable Company of Master Mariners, Freeman of the City of London deceased 30th August 2019 aged 97

I have the sad duty to advise you of the passing of the above.

I registered Captain Yeandle with you some time ago in an effort to make contact with anyone who knew of him, but particularly from WW2 when he was torpedoed twice. Sadly without success.

Back then he was a 3rd mate. Born in 1922 he was fearsomely young for those experiences! Its not generally known that a Merchant Navy seamen's pay stopped from the moment the ship was sunk.
    Can you credit it, you lose all your kit and your pay and dependant's allotments ceased too. Sometimes it was the first knowledge these people had of the sinking!

The ships were George H Jones, tanker 11/6/42 and SS Celtic Star 29/3/43.

The latter sinking (by an Italian sub the FINZI) has two deceased crewmen listed on the Merchant Seamen Memorial on Tower Hill and more details can be found on the internet.
    A touch of Saving Private Ryan occurs here, 2 men died at the sinking but 7 died from a Sunderland flying boat crew of 10 when it crashed while trying to land close to searching ships, to maintain radio silence.
    They were not designed for open sea landings.
    Coordinates locating 43 men in lifeboats were passed over manually. Plane and ships being at the limits of their range and orders.

Courtesy of Adolf Hitler, from this event and Greenwich Seamens Hospital recuperating he met and married his nurse who became his wife for 69 years. She is still alive at 93.

Latterly in the war he served on SS Empire Tweed, ex Gambian, (15/10/43 to 15/3/45) It had a supporting role at DDay although to date I have not been able to track that ship and find out exactly what it was.
    It is not in the main Operation Neptune records of the 5000plus ships but I suspect she was carrying ammunition from dumps on the Northwest coast.
    It was too late for Peter's memory when I discovered this ship in his discharge book but he thought thats what she carried.

After the war for a while he served in the Far East sailing out of Hong Kong (Blue Funnel?) with visits to Australian ports amongst others and returned to UK early 1950's and left the sea.

I still have hope that it may be that amongst your members there is someone who has knowledge of him, perhaps via a Grandparent or Great Uncle.

Kind regards

Kevin Barwick
    Last edited by Brian Probetts (Site Admin); 23rd September 2019 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captain Peter Thomas Yeandle.

Sad to hear about the passing of
    Captain Peter Thomas Yeandle, I hope that in time there may be someone who can recall him and post something about his past.
    My Condolences to his immediate Family and good Friends that he had.
    May his sails be filled with Gentle Winds to take him to places he so loved and remembered
    RIP
    With Respect
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sad to hear of his "Crossing" of the Bar.

Thoughts are with family and friends.

Regards,

Keith.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There can't be to many old sea dogs left that served in the last war. My condolences go out to his wife and family. May Captain Peter have light winds and calm seas.
    Des.

Lest We Forget

redc.gif

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Calm waters Skipper R.I.P. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sad news, may be rest in peace - duty done - my condolences to his family and friends.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind