Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The saddest of News Today

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The sadest of News Today

lou ....he was looked up to from galley boys to ships masters .....a true merchant sailor .......as tough as old boots .......as gentle as a lamb......someone to aspire to.....having the wisdom of all that life can throw at you ....and coming though smiling .....god bless you lou you will be sorely missed ......my condolences and sympathy to all his kin .......didnt you have a goodn ......with great sympathy cappy and family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really feel so sad at the news of Lou passing, having met him at the Liverpool meet a couple of years ago, he wont br forgotton. Please pass our condolences to his family, Lou sail in peace.

John and Cora Evans.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Earlier today, following a telephone call from Vernon, it was with great sadness I learned that Lou had passed away during the night. Vernon described how the news had left him shocked and saddened. This was clearly apparent in his voice and it is something akin to my own feelings at this time.

Last year, following his stay with Vernon and 'Rene in the Blue Mountains, Pauline and I had the pleasure of
    Lou's company at our home for just one night prior to his return to N.Z. the following day. We shared several large G & T's and the yarns began to flow. We each spoke about our earlier lives and then later, following my prompt, he spoke in some detail about the sinking of the Gloucester Castle and what followed, including the horror of Changi as a 'guest' of the Japanese. Lou had a matter-of-fact way of telling his story (not for him the need to over-dramatise, as others might) yet, somehow, it made the horror of it all even more convincing. I shall ever treasure the memory of that night and the time spent in his company. The following day I took him to the airport and saw him off onto his plane, firmly believing we would meet again. We shook hands, said goodbye and spoke of doing it all again one day.....now, sadly, we never shall.

Lou was one of that 'special breed' of men and women who, unflinchingly, answered the call in Britain's hour of need. The horrific experiences suffered as a young man could not rob him of his spirit or diminish his inherent decency and kindness. Revered by many ex-seamen and respected by so many other members, Lou's presence will be sorely missed on this site. Till we meet again on Fiddler's Green, rest in peace, Shipmate.

To Brenda and all members of Lou's family and friends, may Pauline and I offer our heartfelt condolences.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 29th May 2015 at 06:35 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Deeply shocked, condolences to all his family, this site has lost one of its greatest members. I always enjoyed his posts and memories. KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A sad time for us all. Some of us had the privilege to know Lou during his epic journey to these shores during the BOA year. He will be remembered and sadly missed by us all.
    Gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many of us never had the chance of meeting Lou but felt we knew him as a friend and shipmate.
    My condolences to his family.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if it would be possible to retain Lou's postings on this site inadfinitum, as we shall never have the privilege of talking to someone again (whom many of us met) to regale us with his points of view and stories of his experiences at the hands of the Japanese, under a title that will take researchers and friends straight to his postings, as I believe they should not just disappear into the ether after a certain time on site as other postings do. Perhaps we can make an exception for an exceptional man, and perhaps the BOA photos could be included into the memorium.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a wonderful idea Ivan,
    a permanent memorial to a great man. He was the last of a breed of Seamen the like of which we will never see again.
    I met him and his lovely wife, Peggy, and his Daughter Brenda at his home in Dunedin in 2012 and they entertained me there and at his local pub. Brenda was driving for us. His wife, Peggy, sadly died a few weeks later. A lovely lady with a great sense of humour.
    Again at the BOA in Liverpool we spent a few days with him again. A wonderful experience. never to be forgotten.

Below, some photos of Lou,
    Brenda, Lou and his wife Peggy in Dunedin, raining as usual. In 2012
    and in Liverpool in 2013.with a lovely young girl who was very interested in his experiences, also with me and Ivan in the PW, and at the Memorial to returned PoW, pointing to the Monowai he landed from in Liverpool.

RIP Lou.
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 29th May 2015 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Condolences to Lou's family, may he rest in peace.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what a shock a true gentleman and friend its like loosing one of the family you knew he was always going to be there for us like the father of the site and I will miss him rest my friend and safe waters lou... john/Barbara..

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast