Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stan Mayes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Stan Mayes

What an extraordinary man, those who knew him were very privileged indeed - a very sad loss.
    Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So Fiddlers Green greets another son of the sea. I have read a few of his postings and found him a man of great character, condolences to his family, may he forever sail on calm waters and be recalled with by al with great dignity.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks John Pruden thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yesterday, with feelings of sadness, I learned of Stan's passing and would like to join with others by offering my sincere condolences to the family and friends of this remarkable man.

Unlike some, I never experienced the pleasure of meeting him and envy the good fortune of those that did. However, as a fellow merchant seaman I found great interest in Stan's account of his life, and the many photographs and postings to be found on Merchant Navy forums. He wrote with a refreshing modesty, an honesty that tended to under-dramatise certain events in his life although, heaven knows, he would have been justified had he shown less restraint.
    For all that, his writing revealed a great knowledge and love of the sea and ships. I formed the impression of a thoroughly kind, polite and decent man. It was from this source and the appreciative comments made by others regarding Stan that I somehow felt I knew him. Besides, Stan and I shared a more tangible connection. As a young merchant seaman in 1957, the very first premises I walked into on foreign soil was the 'Cafe Schnack', a respectable tanz-bar in Hamburg, where Stan first met his beloved Elsa some years earlier. For me, he shall ever remain the epitome of that 'special' breed of men who, with stoicism and enduring courage, manned the merchant ships of Britain and her allies during those darkest days of WWII, when the future of Britain, if not the free world, seemed so uncertain. Although he was not large in stature he was, nevertheless, a giant amongst men.

At this time of great sadness for the family and friends of Stan, I hope they can derive some comfort in the knowledge that he was revered by thousands of seamen and others who share in their loss.

...Roger

5. Thanks John Pruden, Richard Quartermaine, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reunited with his loving wife Elsa, Stan you have earned your rest my friend and thank you for all the memories you passed on to me regarding my uncle Len who perished aboard the SS Viking Star which you survived. I shall light 2 candles in church in your memory Stan one on 17th March when Elsa passed and one on the 21st August every year a true gent and scholar R.I.P. Stan. Will miss our phone calls Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stan's Granddaughter Heidi contacted me yesterday informing me she will be attending Tower Hill on MN day this year with her Son Tom on Stan's behalf. Have previously laid a wreath with Stan and Tom many times over the years and will take an extra wreath this year to lay by the Viking Star panel in Stan's memory.

His funeral service will be held at 11am on September the 4th at Christ Church, Old Road East, Gravesend DA12 1NR. This will be followed by a cremation at Medway Crematorium, Robin Hood Lane, Chatham, ME5 9QU at 12.45pm and then refreshments at The Waterloo, 55 Wellington Street, Gravesend Kent DA12 1JQ.
    Last edited by DeepSea; 27th August 2014 at 10:03 AM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the link on Stan deep sea, i never knew of him, but have just finished reading his story, absolutely absorbing. We will miss great guys like him, KT

9. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Roger Dyer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As promised I laid a small wreath in memory of Stan at the Viking Star panel on the Merchant Navy Day parade at Tower Hill Sunday 7th September. Photo with his Great Grandson Tom. A special good luck to Tom who is about to enroll at Sandhurst.

Tower-Hill-2014-Tom.jpg
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I miss our phone calls Stan was one of the most down to earth fellas you could know we always had a laugh and joke I will miss him..jp

12. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Likes Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have updated the website entry of Stan's life story with a personal update and a new page regarding his passing. The latter includes the Order of Service from his funeral and the obituary article from the local paper The Gravesend Messenger.

The entry page for his life story is HERE.

I attended his funeral and he was certainly given a good send off with the church being packed with family and friends.

Stan was a friend and a gentleman and I will miss him greatly as will many others.
    Last edited by Brian Watson; 11th November 2014 at 04:56 PM.
    Regards,

Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I notice that Stan was on the 'Sampep' in 1946, my father Ivan Cloherty R96096 was bos'un on the 'Sampep' from April 1946 to April 1947. Small world

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast