Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jim brindley

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to join in with the other posts, and send my condolences to Doris and family.
    Remember Jim fondly from the old site.
    As stated previously, always a good read.
    Smooth seas mate.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jim

Haven.t been around the site much lately, and just spotted the news about Jim. Very sorry to hear it. I always thought he sounded like a great bloke. Jim and his postings will be saddly missed, and I'd like to add my condolences to Doris and his family.
    Albert Bishop

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi

I am David James Brindley, son of Jim Brindley.

Thanks for all your kind messages. Dad often spoke of this site and I know it gave him a lot of pleasure to reminisce and swap yarns, some true, some maybe not so true, with men and women who know the difference between a sailor and a seaman.

As I live in New Zealand, I haven't seen a lot of dad in the past few years. I did see him in May, and I thought then it may be the last time I would see him, but it was still a bit of a shock to get the news of his death.

At first, I didn't feel much at all, maybe because of the distance, maybe because it wasn't a big surprise. It wasn't until I spoke to my daughter later that day that I began to feel the real sadness and loss.

The day dad died I had moved house. I didn't get the news until 7pm NZ time, and at that stage was quite tired and hungry, and looking forward to popping down to the pub for a drink and a feed. I did go to the pub that night, along with my partner, Chris.

I was telling Chris how Caroline, dad's youngest grandchild, wanted Slim Dusty songs played at his funeral. I said if there was to be a song for dad, it wouldn't be Slim Dusty, it would be If I Were A Blackbird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trtxVvyzlrA

I tried to sing it it in the pub, but couldn't get through the first verse. I guess that was when it hit me most.

Saddest of all, on the morning Dad died, Kale James Brindley, his second great grand child, first great grand son, was born. He wasn't to know thatthe name that had passed from him to me, to my son Matthew James Brindley, had now passed on to Kale James.

Dad was cremated today (November 7), sixteen days short of his 81st birthday.

There was no funeral, and I was too far away anyway, so maybe this will be my elegy to Dad.

He leaves behind Doris.

Their daughter Judith, and myself.

Grandchildren Matthew, Alison and Caroline.

Great Grandchildren Jasmine and Kale.

Next time you're outside at night, look to the stars and remember Jim. And next time you have a glass in your hand, take a sip for Jim.

James Brindley
    23 November 1927 - 30 October 2008
    Last edited by SonOfJim; 7th November 2008 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello James

Hi James please see your Privat messages!
    Thank you
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All

I am Jim's grandson, Matthew James Brindley. Thank you all for your wonderful comments and heartfelt messages. It's fantastic to know he touched so many people and was the great man I will always remember.

I was absolutely guttered and I still am, to hear that my grandfather had died, especially as it was only hours after his first grandson, my son, Kale James was born. I never got the chance to tell him of the birth for which I will always have that pain in my heart. When my mother called to tell me, all I could say was no, no, no and broke down uncontrollably.

I got to see him back in May and he got to meet my wonderful partner Roxanne, which was fantastic. I also had the pleasure of living with himself and my grandmother, Doris, back in 2002. I spent 6 months living with them and it was wondeful to get to know both of them better. He was a great man, full of wonderful stories, not to mention he was a ratbag, just like me. We had wonderful trips to the pub for beers and games of pool and those memories I will treasure for ever.

I will miss him dearly, but my legacy to him was passing on the name James to my first born son. It was something I always said I would do, it was a shame I never got to tell him. As I have said to my father, mother and partner, I guess it was a case of one Brindley left the world and one entered at almost the same time. He will forever be in my heart and never forgotten.

R.I.P. Jimpa, forever in my heart and forever in mine and my sons name.

Matthew James Brindley

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy jim

to both of you brindley lads,
    your visit to this site,may be a one off,and you may not see our answers.
    but i want you to know,that although i never met jim,we all had a laugh with him on this site.
    i am a big softee at heart and when i read of his passing,tears began to well up in my eyes.
    on reading your massages of thanks the tears are still there.as i am sure you do,is miss him
    very much.
    its very sad that when we get to our time of life,we have to go!!!.
    sorry for going on.
    my best to you both and all your family .
    mike hall
    Gallery Manager and Friend of the Website

R 693816

Please visit the Gallery to see the latest photos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day lads. On Saturday I spoke with Doris, widow of Jim (Doolaly Jim) Brindley and she asked me to covey the following message to you all.
    For Jim this site was his second family, as he called it. It gave him so much pleasure to chat with people of a common background and he had some great times, and met with some wonderful people. Doris also went on to say she was so impressed with the responce from all the lads who posted notices of condolence. She asked me to pass on her thanks to you all for contributing to Jims enjoyment and for being so thoughtful with your kind words of condolence.
    Jim was cremated and the family is giving consideration to having his ashes scattered some where by the sea.
    Vale Jim Brindley.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy jim

Just come across the sad news of Jim's passing. Belated condolences to Jim's wife Doris and all the family.
    Jim always seemed a happy and jovial type and will surely be missed on site. Sleep well mate. John Doran. .Liverpool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default for jim@his loverly wife@amily

i have only just read of jims passing john ,i feel very sadened indeed my heartfelt thoughts go out to all jims family he emailed me many times,he was a true gent and will be very much missed.he is sailing on a summer breeze know my prayers are with his family.RIP jim you were a gent@scholar very sad ted.ex{terryscouse}from the old site.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2