Thread: Joe hyder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Joe hyder

JOE HYDER | Visit Guest Book
    Joseph Hyder VIRGINIA BEACH, USA,-
    Joseph Hyder, 92, died Aug. 30, 2011 of cancer. His love of the sea was a driving force in his life. He served as a Merchant Marine in World War II and became a naval architect. He worked for American Shipbuilding, Mr. D.K. Ludwig at National Bulk Carriers and Exxon. His career relocated him to New York City, London, England, and Kobe, Japan. He retired in Virginia Beach in 1977 and built model ships as a hobby. But he said that his true legacy was his surviving daughters, Marilyn Richey and Joanne Hyder. He is survived by his sister, Annette Hyder, and was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Shirley Hayden Wells Hyder. His extended family include C.L. and Clara Wells, their children, Mackenzie and Chandler, and Cheryl and Daryl Bibb. They provided great support to him throughout his life. He strove for perfection and set high standards for himself and all those he cared about. A memorial service will be held Tuesday, Sept. 6 at 3 p.m. at the Westminister Canterbury Chapel. Donations, in lieu of flowers, can be sent to Lee's Friends of Virginia Beach, 7400 Hampton Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23505. Online condolences may be expressed at Cremation Society of Virginia, Hampton Roads Office: Home.

Published in The Virginian Pilot on September 1, 2011
    ====================================

I sailed with Joe on the QE2 ten years ago on a trip to South Africa, and kept in touch ever since.
    He and his wife, Shirley, were very good company and very interesting to talk to, He lived near to Norfolk Virginia.
    He designed the ESSOs NORTHUMBRIA, HIBERNIA, ULIDIA AND CALEDONIA class of 256,000 tons tankers. All those I sailed on.
    He visited Buckingham Palace several times to discuss the launching of the Esso Northumbria when it had several launching delays with Princess Anne.
    He always attended the Merchant Marine meetings and had read out some of my poems of seafaring that I had sent him, he said they were well appreciated.

He onced worked for the same company as Capt. Bill Davies Ludwigs, National Bulk carriers.
    Bon Voyage Joe.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 1st September 2011 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Brian,

Now I have him. Worked in Elmer Hann's department ( Ship Constuction). A well respected man of a quiet but strong disposition. Two others come to mind , Frank Joyce and McGuire who were lifelong DK employees.

Brgds

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Bill, He was a real nice fellow.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Joe Hyder

Captain kong. This made me happy when i found this. Joe was my step grandfather but he was my grandfather to me. He always told me i was good with my hands. And i admire his models he made and how good he was at them. He would tell me if you can think of some thing that would make your life better build it. I found ship blue print from ships he build or designed. They might be the ships you sailed on. and i would love to learn any more you have to offer. And i have some things i would like to ask you about that i never asked him. If you would like you can email me at gr8sk8trr@aol.com

Thanks, Chandler

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Chandler,
    This is a surprise, to hear of Joe`s Grandson.
    I will send you an email later, I have friends in Norfolk Virginia who were very close to Joe. Susan and Peter, They saw Joe regularly and obviously can tell you more about him. The funeral is tommorrow, see the obituary.
    I will send you their email address.
    Cheers thanks for calling.
    Brian.